Autopsy Round 13, 2019: Gold Coast v St.Kilda *NICK HIND DEBUT*

Remove this Banner Ad

We travelled to China and played in the heat with a bug going through a lot of the team. Not much run during the game but plenty of runs in the hotel dunny.
tumblr_o81iwz7fQh1qg39ewo1_400.gif

Then after the bye had to travel to Townsville and once again play in the heat .
And dont forget we wouldve been a much better side with Webster, Steele, Carlisle ,Hanners , Lonie, Geary and Jack Steven in the team.
Weve still got an absolute truck load of players missing.

Was it a game to keep for the Video tape collection?
giphy.gif

But under these trying times ill take a win .
ANY GOD DAMN WIN!!!!!!!!
So Ill take that as a positive and put the 4 points in the bank.

If peeps think ive got rose coloured glasses on for seeing a positive in that win then
giphy.gif
Lol. Is that Stephen Kings cat....

He hardly played vfl. Nothing wrong with a few games. We will never know how he would have ended up but didn’t have one elite skill so doubt he would have even been a regular. Sadly we are better side without him
If he had of got to his 80 to 100 games I believe your view would of been a bit different the guy is 120 kg with a great work rate and a good clunk mark would of been the the guy on the end of those Ross newns and gresh long bombs

If he had of got to his 80 to 100 games I believe your view would of been a bit different the guy is 120 kg with a great work rate and a good clunk mark would of been the the guy on the end of those Ross newns and gresh long bombs
We will never know. Just didn’t seem to play like modern forward. I think his main problem was his work rate. We all see things differently

How good is eleven tackles from Billings. Obviously he was great with his offensive influence but that is a massive output from a winger defensively. Came out of nowhere as well with just 18 this year before yesterday.

His form in Townsville has always been excellent

How good is eleven tackles from Billings. Obviously he was great with his offensive influence but that is a massive output from a winger defensively. Came out of nowhere as well with just 18 this year before yesterday.
Yeah he is our future the wing position is such a different roll these days more like a quarterback and he fits the roll perfectly

He hardly played vfl. Nothing wrong with a few games. We will never know how he would have ended up but didn’t have one elite skill so doubt he would have even been a regular. Sadly we are better side without him

In his draft year his contested Marking was an Elite Trait. Though seeing the amount of times the Ball bounced off his chest in the AFL was frustrating. Without a horror run he could've settled as a solid player, but we will never know.

In his draft year his contested Marking was an Elite Trait. Though seeing the amount of times the Ball bounced off his chest in the AFL was frustrating. Without a horror run he could've settled as a solid player, but we will never know.

I think Paddy had an elite footy IQ and his field kicking was superb. Something the top end of forwards of the comp tend to have.
Such a shame he didn't get any consistency. Feel like he could turn into a great coach in the future.

I know Newnes is frustrating and hard to watch at times but he has 9 score involvements (2nd behind Membrey) and 2 goal assists (equal most with Dunstan) from his 17 disposals. So more than half his disposals resulted in us scoring, which with our forward half difficulties is a big effort.

Seemed to be playing high half forward so makes sense actually.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know this won’t please many but my feeling is if you win many close ones you are well coached. We are a very ordinary team who seems to have plenty of luck in close games. Having said that we really lack skill. Even in the end how the hell do those players keep Gold Coast in the game. We only have three good players. 2 we expected in gresh and billings. One we had never heard of two years ago. The guy is going to be a freak. Imagine him actually doing a pre season knowing he is first ruck. Not many players excite me like he does. His last quarter was freakish.

Yeah, the best thing about 2019 is Marshall and Battle. Both look potential elite. Parker also looks like he'll play plenty of quality footy. Actually Wilkie as well. All of them are probably lucky with injury giving opportunity.

The Three so called excitement machines that we going to have teams nervous all of a sudden have teams laughing at them, they all need to realise this is AFL

I think Long came back from injury and missed preseason. It's really hard from there. Melbourne had 18 guys off limited preseasons and have gone from prelims to poo in half a year.

Seemed to be playing high half forward so makes sense actually.
Newnes is playing a roll in the team were his is given the ball to use it a bit like billings so 17d is not enough it should be in the mid 20s and his efficiency is s**t should be trying to get hit up kicks into the forward line not trying to kick goals from stupid places on the ground I think he is selfish

The guy would have been a superstar so sad he will never do that for our club. He should have never played a vfl game same as what Brisbane done wirh Eric hipwood we were no good when he was drafted and his body was big enough paddy and king would've been a bright future
Only once hasn’t paddy shown a glimpse of potential superstar . That was his big mark against hawthorn . ( then kicked a point when a goal would have won us the game ) to claim he would have been a superstar is way over the top when there’s no evidence to back it up . Poor draft selection

Newnes is playing a roll in the team were his is given the ball to use it a bit like billings so 17d is not enough it should be in the mid 20s and his efficiency is **** should be trying to get hit up kicks into the forward line not trying to kick goals from stupid places on the ground I think he is selfish

I don't think that was his fault so much yesterday, we couldn't hit targets from 15 meters away.

I don't think that was his fault so much yesterday, we couldn't hit targets from 15 meters away.
In defence of both sides the ball was apparently very wet from the players sweat. That can effect the drop of the ball and marking. So many easy looking marks dropped yesterday suggests something in that

The guy would have been a superstar so sad he will never do that for our club. He should have never played a vfl game same as what Brisbane done wirh Eric hipwood we were no good when he was drafted and his body was big enough paddy and king would've been a bright future
:rolleyes:

Having a lend Plugs surely! So we are a very ordinary side, whose lack of skill keeps Gold Coast in the game, that just always seems to get lucky in close games
Yet that somehow translates to being a well coached side?

At some point you have to concede as ugly as it was, twas the players that turned it around as they often have this season to come from behind!

And i have to say within the much maligned group of Billings. Dunstan. Acres and Lonie pre injury from that draft, they are starting to show some maturity and dare i say leadership In these big moments often this year. Gresham noticably lifted again when called upon in the 2nd half,
Ross too as deplorable as he was with ball in hand for most of the game but even he cracked in and showed ticker when needed!

No coincidence in my mind we have come from behind in most of our wins this season showing an awareness for the key moments that wasn't evident previously!
Especially with no Runners for reasons unknown this year...Players more than ever must take on responsibility on the field and ever so slowly
That 50-100 game lot are the ones driving this side at the moment with all the injuries!

With some class to come in soon we can do something meaningful even this season! Agree on Marshall totally and guys like Battle, Wilkie, and even Marsh
Show very promising signs of being capable of being some good back up in what we hope will become our next finals side!

My worry contrary to your satisfaction is with the coach still! We have forever come out unprepared, flat and looking disinterested in the first half in our interstate
Games ever since he took over! The old saying Not come to play has to fall on the coach when it's such an obvious pattern everytime we travel!
We just cannot afford to keep giving teams a start in these games!
And i don't care what anyone says about coaches are not the ones making skill errors...When it's so obviously our biggest weakness for 6 years
You would think ball use at some stage would have been made a priority!
So why can't these players take responsibility from the first bounce?

OK so it's up to the coach to have them jumping out of their skin at the start.

Slow starts according to you are the fault of the coach. Am I reading you correctly?

So now you're saying that the turn around is player led on the field.

This is where the contradiction comes in.

If the coach doesn't have a hand in the turnaround, then surely the players are weak in their starts.

If the coach is poor at prepping them then why would he be able to motivate them at half time?

You can't have it both ways.

The funny thing is that Richo has been criticised for being a bland match day coach who doesn't make changes when we are getting smashed.

He is mocked relentlessly for his throwing Jake forward move.

All good arguments when we lose. I get it.

Problem is that yesterday he made moves and whatever he told them at 1/2 tine worked and we won after being 5 goals down.

But now you are saying it was the players that turned it around? I accept that some of these guys are starting to mature etc.

But let me ask you, if the coach is crap and it's the players who turned it around, where were they still the start???

Like I said you can't have it both ways.

And just because a person doesn't think he is the long term solution doesn't mean the guy can't coach.

Truth is everything being equal in terms of set up and structures, we just don't have the talent to match it with better clubs.

Last edited:

I guess i must have been watching a different guy , the one i was watching had virtually no second efforts at all

Remove this Banner Ad

Back