Autopsy Round 13, 2019: Gold Coast v St.Kilda *NICK HIND DEBUT*

Remove this Banner Ad

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
That's the thing, is at TAC level his ability to work in traffic was really good, he's not quick enough to get away and needs to learn to get back to what he does well. He's lost the little bit of pace he did have as well though, I'm hoping it's training load and that it will return with time. He's definitely playing like someone who is struggling but part of me wants to play him into form like the Dogs did with Bailey Smith but then I want to put up sides that are competitive as well. If we had some more senior experience around him, we could carry him a lot easier.
Nailed it.

If we had Stuv, Hanners and Koby playing it would allow us to do.much more.

Jade Buddha

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
St Kilda
That's the thing, is at TAC level his ability to work in traffic was really good, he's not quick enough to get away and needs to learn to get back to what he does well. He's lost the little bit of pace he did have as well though, I'm hoping it's training load and that it will return with time. He's definitely playing like someone who is struggling but part of me wants to play him into form like the Dogs did with Bailey Smith but then I want to put up sides that are competitive as well. If we had some more senior experience around him, we could carry him a lot easier.
Agree with a lot of that and if we had Steven, Steele and Hanners available we could possibly do that.
It’s a strange logic but true if we had better mids he’d likely be getting more game time and developing but his level now would really expose us.

Ads734

Premiership Player
Jan 24, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
I know we won and I know he kicked a goal but to play Nick hind in the forward line to me Defies logic. A guy who was drafted because of his line breaking speed off half back then has been playing half back mid this year and comes in and plays forward like cmon. Everyone complains about our recruiting but how can any of our players succeed if this happans. It’s so difficult for these guys to come in and impact if they’re not in the right position. It’s been a theme for too long. Honestly better off not playing him.

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
I know we won and I know he kicked a goal but to play Nick hind in the forward line to me Defies logic. A guy who was drafted because of his line breaking speed off half back then has been playing half back mid this year and comes in and plays forward like cmon. Everyone complains about our recruiting but how can any of our players succeed if this happans. It’s so difficult for these guys to come in and impact if they’re not in the right position. It’s been a theme for too long. Honestly better off not playing him.
Pretty sure he's had a few stints up forward at Sandy.

Richo said on 3aw pre game that Armo would mainly play back and was brought back into the side just to organise and direct the defensive set up.
This is what I keep saying, we’re trying to set the record for half backs. Surely we’ve got it by now.

saint_

Club Legend
May 6, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Seriously impressed with 11 tackles to Billings.
Clark's fitness worries me. He has had 18 months in a professional environment and still looks like he has kids arms and no muscle definition. All the kids from last years draft are already ahead of him body wise.

He has no doubt filled out but looks to also have lost the zip he had last year. I wonder if having 3 x 18/19 old kids (Clark, Coffield & Langlands) living together is the best thing for these lads?
You might be on to something with your last point. Patton is living with Billings this year, and from what I've seen at AFL he was impressing me playing in the backline. I'm not sure why he was dropped, as I thought he was solid. Maybe their preparations are different.

How was Whites last quarter? They put him to full forward to hide him because he was injured, and was he explosive. Maybe we should leave him there.
As long as we leave him in the team I'd be happy. Prefer him back but his positioning and pressure showed he can still provide something up forward if required.

AirWinmar

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Seriously impressed with 11 tackles to Billings.

You might be on to something with your last point. Patton is living with Billings this year, and from what I've seen at AFL he was impressing me playing in the backline. I'm not sure why he was dropped, as I thought he was solid. Maybe their preparations are different.
Got a minor injury, then hasnt made it back

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with a lot of that and if we had Steven, Steele and Hanners available we could possibly do that.
It’s a strange logic but true if we had better mids he’d likely be getting more game time and developing but his level now would really expose us.

You could play him on a flank and give him 5 minutes a quarter to dip a toe rather than throwing him to the wolves.

How was Whites last quarter? They put him to full forward to hide him because he was injured, and was he explosive. Maybe we should leave him there.

yeah I thought he looked okay.

The_Snake26

Team Captain
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Port lost so they didn't back up at all also turned a home game in to a more familiar game for por if we miss finals due to trip to China will not be paying my membership next season

If you don’t buy a membership we’ll keep selling games to make money.
Until we have 80k+ members or get 40k+ at games then we’ll keep selling them off.

So i get where you’re coming from cause i hate that we play in China too but you’re not breaking the cycle. your protest won’t help us

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
If you don’t buy a membership we’ll keep selling games to make money.
Until we have 80k+ members or get 40k+ at games then we’ll keep selling them off.

So i get where you’re coming from cause i hate that we play in China too but you’re not breaking the cycle. your protest won’t help us
Correct. Never understood the threat of not buying memberships because something annoys you. Doesn’t make the club change what they are doing. Just effects the bottom line.

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
We dropped Long and Young, so lost a lot of speed and defensive pressure in the front half, as a result, so he was probably the best option to provide us with some of that, while at the same time rewarding his good form at VFL level, at least from earlier in the year.

I don't mind it, as it gives him a taste, gives the other two a chance to go back and work on their games, and who knows, maybe he'll go well there.

If he doesn't, he goes back to defence, like Marsh did.

Last edited:
Lot of praise going in Billings direction and deservedly so but I thought Kent’s game showed him at another level I’d not seen.
Cudos to him.

Kudos to the medical team for keeping him on the ground too. That was apparently a lot of his problem at the Dees - couldn’t string games together.
( Hope I haven’t jinxed him.)

stfan

The Fan in Waiting
Mar 12, 2008
Melb
AFL Club
St Kilda
Your spot on about Clark being slow , lets face it we can call it Zip or whatever but he does look very slow which i mentioned 5 or 6 weeks ago , you may have a thing with all those lads living together as i bet non of them have any idea on cooking let alone having someone mature around to give advice ect , Something is wrong as you have said all the other kids around the same draft picks are going ok yet our two boys are well behind atm
The club has a dietician and so I would be amazed if they did not know about what foods to eat and preparation etc.

Adhering to what they should be doing is another matter though.

stfan

The Fan in Waiting
Mar 12, 2008
Melb
AFL Club
St Kilda
Lot of praise going in Billings direction and deservedly so but I thought Kent’s game showed him at another level I’d not seen.
Cudos to him.

Kent at times looks very good.

But he also consistently fluffs the ball at times including dropped marks, kicks and shots on goal. If he could play more often closer to his best he could be a very useful player.

Now he is no loan ranger in this, but he is at an age where he really needs to start to deliver his best more often.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back