Preview Round 13, 2019: Gold Coast v St.Kilda - Riverway Stadium, Saturday 15th June, 1:45PM AEST *NICK HIND DEBUT*

Who Wins?

• Suns

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • Saints

Votes: 47 73.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
V6lojBG.png

Preview
Gold Coast v St.Kilda

674720_thumb.jpg

St.Kilda are back from their mid-season bye, ready to tackle the second half of the year after a 5-6 first half, and will be looking to bounce back emphatically after their poor showing in China against Port Adelaide a fortnight ago.

Gold Coast played host to North Melbourne on Saturday afternoon, but the game was over at quarter time as the Kangaroos piled on seven first quarter goals that the Suns never recovered from. It was Gold Coast's 8th successive loss, and it leaves the Suns in 17th place at the end of 12 rounds with plenty of room for improvement.

Let’s have a look at possible best 22s:

St.Kilda Best 22
B:
Daniel McKenzie, Nathan Brown, Shane Savage
HB: Callum Wilkie, Josh Battle, Jimmy Webster
C: Jack Sinclair, Sebastian Ross, Jack Newnes
HF: Jack Billings, Josh Bruce, Ben Long
F: Dean Kent, Tim Membrey, Matthew Parker
Foll: Rowan Marshall, Jack Steele, Jade Gresham
I/C: Jonathon Marsh, Luke Dunstan, Hunter Clark, Blake Acres

Gold Coast Best 22
B:
Charlie Ballard, Chris Burgess, Jarrod Harbrow
HB: Jesse Joyce, Jack Hombsch, Lachie Weller
C: Alex Sexton, Will Brodie, Jack Lukosius
HF: Nick Holman, Peter Wright, Wil Powell
F: Jack Martin, Ben King, Touk Miller
Foll: Jarrod Witts, David Swallow, Darcy MacPherson
I/C: Anthony Miles, Brayden Fiorini, Josh Corbett, George Horlin-Smith

Medical Room

[IMG='width:651px;']https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/Media/Galleries/Matches/2019/AFL%202019%20Round%2011%20-%20St%20Kilda%20v%20Port%20Adelaide/681737_gl.jpg[/IMG]

The Saints' skipper Jarryn Geary hurt his lower left leg in the last quarter and he couldn't put any weight on it as he was helped off. Fellow defender Nathan Brown had treatment for a knee complaint. Illness ran through the Saints camp pre-game. Billings and Savage were declared healthy but defenders McKenzie and Marsh didn't make it to the line.

For the Suns, Jordan Murdoch left the field in the third quarter with a high ankle injury. Vice-captain Touk Miller copped a corked quad in the first quarter and played the second half in a limited capacity in the forward line.

Preview

[IMG='width:651px;']https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/Samples/656319-tlslargelandscape.jpg[/IMG]

St.Kilda last played a fortnight ago in their first trip to China in club history, however the showing wasn't fit for the occasion, with the Saints comprehensively beaten in all areas and sitting 70 points behind the Power at the final siren. Luckily for the injury ridden Saints, they are back from the bye and will be looking to launch into the second half of the year with help from some of their key players returning from extended stints on the sidelines.

It was the Saints sixth loss of the season and in their worst of the year. However there were some positives to take from the game - most notably the performance of emerging young ruckman Rowan Marshall who was voted the Saints best on ground with 24 hit-outs to go with 24 possessions, 7 marks, 4 tackles and a goal.

Other notable performances included Jade Gresham (20 disposals, 5 tackles & 3 goals), Jack Steele (20 disposals, 3 marks & 3 tackles), forward Tim Membrey (16 disposals, 5 marks & a goal) and emerging defender Josh Battle (17 disposals, 4 marks & 3 tackles).

Gold Coast were lauded for their efforts in the early parts of the season but ultimately haven't been able to get over the line in a lot of close games and find themselves in the bottom four with losses to St.Kilda, Adelaide, Brisbane, West Coast, Melbourne, Port Adelaide, Geelong, GWS and North Melbourne. Their victories a sign of where the Suns are at, not having won a game since Round 4 and beating teams in an around them including Fremantle, Western Bulldogs and Carlton.

In what was another disappointing day out for the Suns, Will Brodie was immense for the home side - collecting 29 disposals to go along with 9 marks, 9 tackles and a goal in a best on ground performance.

Other notables included Brayden Fiorini (31 disposals & 6 marks), Jarrod Harbrow (27 touches & 5 marks) and Darcy MacPherson (21 possessions, 6 marks & 6 tackles).

Potential changes

[IMG='width:651px;']https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/Samples/664462-tlslargelandscape.jpg[/IMG]

St.Kilda's dashing half back Jimmy Webster looks ready to return from a hand injury suffered 3 weeks ago.
Hunter Clark, Blake Acres and Jonathan Marsh will also be considered.

Key Match-Ups

[IMG='width:651px;']https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/Media/Galleries/Matches/2019/AFL%202019%20Round%2012%20-%20Gold%20Coast%20v%20North%20Melbourne/683297_gl.jpg[/IMG]

Will Brodie
One of the Suns most promising young players, Brodie had a day out last weekend collecting 31 touches on his way to a best on ground performance. It will be interesting to see who goes to him on Saturday afternoon, but if Brodie gets off the leash for a second straight game it could be trouble for the Saints.

Jarrod Witts
Witts loves playing against the Saints and after a dominant 47 hit-out game against Todd Goldstein last week, it'll take Saints ruckman Rowan Marshall's best effort to quell the Suns ruckman's influence.

Tip

[IMG='width:651px;']https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/Media/Galleries/Matches/2019/AFL%202019%20Round%2010%20-%20St%20Kilda%20v%20Carlton/679241_gl.jpg[/IMG]

After a very disappointing way to head to the bye, the Saints really need to get back to winning ways and it needs to start this weekend. At 5-6 and with statistically the easiest last 11 games of any team in the competition, finals are a real possibility for Alan Richardson's men. With key players due to return soon, and the Suns having lost eight straight games, there couldn't be a better opportunity than this week to get the season back to 6-6 and mount a run home in the last two months. Gold Coast have been competitive in most games but the fact is they haven't won a game since Round 4 and if St.Kilda brings their best I am confident that it will be good enough to get the win here.

Saints by 21 points.

Thoughts?

WhiskySaint

All Australian
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Here’s the team i’d like to see,

DMac Brown White
Sav Battle Wilkie
Billings Steele Acres
Kent Membrey Paton
Parker Bruce Long

Marshal Gresh Dunstan

Ross Coff Clark Newnes

Webster comes back through sandy so Coff gets another shot.

DMac Brown White
Sav Battle Wilkie
Billings Steele Acres
Kent Membrey Paton
Parker Bruce Long

Marshal Gresh Dunstan

Ross Coff Clark Newnes

Surely White has to get a go.

hangdog

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Wrexham FC,
Acres, Mack and Paton would be automatic selections surely.

Wouldn't think Acres would be. 3 good games all season. Paton should be behind White now. D-Mac easily replaces Geary.

I'm hoping for White, Clark and Marsh in. Geary (+), Young and Joyce (never again) out.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Jono Marsh, Nathan Brown,Shane Savage
Callum Wilkie, Josh Battle, Daniel McKenzie
Jack Billings, Sebastian Ross, Jack Newnes
Blake Acres, Josh Bruce, Jack Sinclair
Dean Kent, Tim Membrey, Matthew Parker
Rowan Marshall, Jack Steele, Jade Gresham
Hunter Clark, Luke Dunstan, Ben Long, Jimmy Webster

Out: Joyce, Geary, Young, Coffield, Phillips
In: Marsh, DMac, Acres, Clark, Webster - White if Webster isnt fit.

Five changes seems like a lot but three are forced with Geary injuries and Joyce/Young not because AFL standard. Phillips out because we have too many wingers and Hunter can play both inside and out. Harsh on Coffield but if Webster is fit he is a certainty and then White has been in better form than Coff so should be playing confront of him.

We should (pending the coaches omitting the obvious deadwood) be a much stronger team than what we fielded in China.

St Muir

All Australian
Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Damn. Was hoping to get to this one until I realised it’s Townsville. It’s quite cool in SE Qld at the moment, so a significant home ground advantage would have been lost to the Suns. Back to scratch with it being Townsville.

DMac Brown White
Sav Battle Wilkie
Billings Steele Acres
Kent Membrey Paton
Parker Bruce Long

Marshal Gresh Dunstan

Ross Coff Clark Newnes

Not knocking your selections mate but that forward line is not going to kick us a winning score , what we do about it well as much as i love battle back , he needs to play forward and put Marsh in his spot at least until we can get Jake back , we are not going to win too many games kicking our shitty 60-80 points a game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Don't believe anything coaches and administrators say - get ready for some surprises.

DMac Brown Wilkie
Savage Battle Webster
Billings Steele Hannebery
Membrey Bruce Parker
Gresham King Kent

Marshall Ross Gresham

Dunstan Newnes Clark Acres
I'd be surprised if the club lied to us about wanting Hannebery to play more VFL. Especially after we have done the right thing and "rebuilt" his body over the last few months.

It's a shame there was no VFLthis week as they both might have played. King won't be far away. His brother is already having an impact, so I can't see how his light frame is an issue.

Aug 13, 2016
South Gippsland
AFL Club
St Kilda
Damn. Was hoping to get to this one until I realised it’s Townsville. It’s quite cool in SE Qld at the moment, so a significant home ground advantage would have been lost to the Suns. Back to scratch with it being Townsville.
Thanks mate, I had nfi where Riverway stadium was... thought it was another international junket for the lads.

Imagine the King family if Max was selected and both boys were out there - just great for Mum and Dad!!

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
I'd be surprised if the club lied to us about wanting Hannebery to play more VFL. Especially after we have done the right thing and "rebuilt" his body over the last few months.

It's a shame there was no VFLthis week as they both might have played. King won't be far away. His brother is already having an impact, so I can't see how his light frame is an issue.
Got a whole week to fill in - need some points to argue about.

D2D3

Club Legend
May 20, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hopefully we see King and Hanners come in. I’d also be bringing back Clark, Dmac and Acres.

Plenty of players who underperformed last week to choose from to go out.

For me

FB: McKenzie - Brown - Wilkie
HB: Savage - Battle - Newnes
CL: Billings - Hannebery - Ross
HF: Sinclair - Bruce - Long
FF: Parker - King - Membery
RR: Marshall - Steele - Gresham
Int: Acres - Clark - Coffield
Dunston

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hopefully we see King and Hanners come in. I’d also be bringing back Clark, Dmac and Acres.

Plenty of players who underperformed last week to choose from to go out.

For me

FB: McKenzie - Brown - Wilkie
HB: Savage - Battle - Newnes
CL: Billings - Hannebery - Ross
HF: Sinclair - Bruce - Long
FF: Parker - King - Membery
RR: Marshall - Steele - Gresham
Int: Acres - Clark - Coffield
Dunston
Paton for Coff and we have a deal.

Not sure what Long has done to keep his spot.

We need to win.

Aug 28, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Coventry City
Out: Young Geary Joyce Phillips
In: Dmac White Acres Clark

Dmac Brown White
Savage Wilkie Newnes
Billings Ross Acres
Bruce Membrey Kent
Long Battle Parker
Marshall Steele Gresham

Sinclair Dunstan Coffield Clark

WhiskySaint

All Australian
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Not knocking your selections mate but that forward line is not going to kick us a winning score , what we do about it well as much as i love battle back , he needs to play forward and put Marsh in his spot at least until we can get Jake back , we are not going to win too many games kicking our shitty 60-80 points a game

I agree that this forward line with our current plan won’t kick a big score, but IMO adding battle to it won’t make a difference.

Battle has averaged 0.67 contested marks this year and I can’t remember him taking a single pack mark in his career. He also averaged in his first two years just over 1 goal per game. If we continue to bomb it long he won’t make a difference.

If we honoured leads then I think he would have an impact up forward, but so would our other forwards.

Earlier in the year it was written that if Battle continued his projected output he would be inline for AA selection. So he is impacting well back there.

I also think King will come in in two weeks. So does battle play forward for 1 week then back for the rest of the season?

IMO we need to except we are going to kick 70 odd points and concentrate on keeping GC to below that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back