Preview Round 13, 2019: Gold Coast v St.Kilda - Riverway Stadium, Saturday 15th June, 1:45PM AEST *NICK HIND DEBUT*

Who Wins?

• Suns

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • Saints

Votes: 47 73.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

cooperrules

Norm Smith Medallist
May 18, 2012
East Bentleigh
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Lakers, Leeds united
As a former local boy I hope Langlands gets a shot later in the year, but at this stage, Hind has had the better year with Sandy. Which is to be expected seeing as though he is the mature recruit.
Hind - Avg Disp 23 Avg Eff Disp 17
Langlands - Avg Disp 16.8 Avg Eff Disp 12

Last 2 games have been good. Need to see more. We have to remember who our last 2 opponents were for Sandy.
He also got concessed which stop his progression nothing to with hind having a better season.

Sounds like someone’s missing their Furphies what with us playing in China then having a bye

Don’t worry Captain; not long now

15qofer.jpg
Need more than a Furphie ATM Doc

Sep 22, 2015
Hovering above you...
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Fulham
Never earnt or deserved it tbh
What a load of crock.

Has been used all over the field from Ruck to a forward pocket. Over the last 4 years there are less deserving players constantly picked in positions that Acres should have been used in.

Mar 19, 2008
Narre Warren North
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/06/13/his-kneecap-went-sideways-brereton-on-steele/

Dermie talked about it on radio yesterday. He is having scans today to determine how long he will be out for which is why he is listed as indefinite. Could be 3-5 weeks, could be season ending.

Knee's are horrible because the whole thing is sort of floating.
Mine wasn't dislocated, but it was sitting wrong, which my physio said was common and due to the muscles around it being damaged.
I went to the physio and did the exercises while hardly able to walk, thinking i was going to be crippled forever.
All of a sudden it came good, like it had never been wrong.

At no time was my physio able to tell me when it would be better.

mightymalaka

What we have here is a failure to communicate!
May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
You don't think that picking Armo is sure sign that Acres isn't up to playing in the square as an inside mid?

If that's not a signal, I don't know what is.
Don't understand where all this talk has come from thinking of Acres as an " inside mid "

I believe he is at his best as a mid for sure, but def not a classic inside mid.....My thinking is that he can offer us a point of difference
But as an Outside mid! Would love to see him just given his head for a week and let the boy roam, his strengths are as a creative
Ball carrier that can break lines and give us plenty of drive out of the middle!

Ideally i would love to see us set up in the middle this week with Dunstan as our inside beast switching with Armo for that role
Gresham playing the Jack Steven role of an inside/outside traditional rover if you like, he will have to do the bulk of that role this week
With the odd burst of Clark to relieve and then in the outside capacity Acres and Ross sharing that role at different intervals
Throughout the game....This mixes it up nicely and does not compromise our speed and variety in the middle!

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2008
Narre Warren North
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Its hard to say how Armo will go, last season it seemed that he got worse playing consecutive games at AFL level.
Round / Disposals.
1: 24
2: 27
3: 13 OUT

7: 21
8: 8
9: 8

13: 25
15: 26
16: 30
17: 27
18: 20
20 :19
21 :25
22 :15
23 :11

At his best against Gold Coast , Melbourne, Port and Carlton he got more than 10 contested possessions , at the end of the season he was getting 3 or 4.
Hopefully he is not in a horribly bad way at the moment.

If he can come in and get 20 disposals, he's a better prospect to help us win than any of the other choices.
If he played like a normal Hunter Clark game, we'd say he was terrible.

Mar 19, 2008
Narre Warren North
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Don't understand where all this talk has come from thinking of Acres as an " inside mid "

I believe he is at his best as a mid for sure, but def not a classic inside mid.....My thinking is that he can offer us a point of difference
But as an Outside mid! Would love to see him just given his head for a week and let the boy roam, his strengths are as a creative
Ball carrier that can break lines and give us plenty of drive out of the middle!

Ideally i would love to see us set up in the middle this week with Dunstan as our inside beast switching with Armo for that role
Gresham playing the Jack Steven role of an inside/outside traditional rover if you like, he will have to do the bulk of that role this week
With the odd burst of Clark to relieve and then in the outside capacity Acres and Ross sharing that role at different intervals
Throughout the game....This mixes it up nicely and does not compromise our speed and variety in the middle!

To me he's a bit of a Brendon Goddard wannabe.

Jun 4, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Acres might not be Cripp's second coming, but we've seen from when he plays in the ruck that he can do pretty well as an on baller. Armo will give effort and probably get 22 touches half contested etc (while also over running it on five or so occasions cos he can't pick it), but I seriously think Acres deserves a run as a pure mid, he can be seriously damaging in his strange goat way. I do think he'll get more of a chance though now steele's gone down, let's hope he grabs it with both hoofs

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Acres might not be Cripp's second coming, but we've seen from when he plays in the ruck that he can do pretty well as an on baller. Armo will give effort and probably get 22 touches half contested etc (while also over running it on five or so occasions cos he can't pick it), but I seriously think Acres deserves a run as a pure mid, he can be seriously damaging in his strange goat way. I do think he'll get more of a chance though now steele's gone down, let's hope he grabs it with both hoofs

He is picked in his perfect spot. He is a winger. No excuses if he does play mostly there.

mightymalaka

May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
To me he's a bit of a Brendon Goddard wannabe.
Don't particularly care for the term that he is a Goddard wannabe! But i think i know what you mean and in a lot of ways
He is a very apt comparison for Acres! When he plays in the guts much like BJ was, he bucks convention a little in the sense
That they are not strictly either inside or outside but maybe a little more on the outside! Don't ever remember Goddard being expected to
Be the in and under clearance beast and Blake is very similar! For those of us old enough to remember the term Utility this is where they come in.

The old fashioned RuckRover!

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
Does anyone have more info on Steele's dislocated knee-cap? Sounds disgusting.

Listed as indefinite, which never reads well.
I've done mine twice - not a lot of pain until I looked down and saw

A Where the kneecap was, and

B the direction of my lower leg.

The first one popped pretty much straight back in and I was able to walk off the ground. Was playing again in about 4 weeks.

Second one ended up stretching all the ligaments (nothing tore or broke) and because I wasn't a professional sportsperson (and therefore unlikely committed enough to do the amount of rehab required after surgery) they just stuck my leg in plaster for 6 weeks and I spent the next 3 months walking up and down the pool doing heaps of exercises.

As predicted by the doctor (a very young Peter Larkins actually) I did enough to get back to probably 90% strength but wasn't committed enough to get the last 10% so no football, basketball, skiing etc after that.

If there's ligament damage and he needs surgery he will be fine because I doubt Jack is as slack as me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 6, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
He is picked in his perfect spot. He is a winger. No excuses if he does play mostly there.

Agreed.
Acres even in his absolute top form is still a poor candidate to be an inside mid.

His hands/reflexes aren't quick and he's slow off the mark with his legspeed.

Sinclair is a much better candidate for grooming as an inside mid.
Lightning quick hands that don't fumble, decent body size and endurance.
Decent burst speed.

mightymalaka

May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
Why can't he swap/alternate with Ross in the centre square? And then onto a wing which would be that position that you plonk those 2 mids
When they are not starting in the square! Therefore solving your permanent belief that our mids cannot play anywhere but in the centre square!

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
I've done mine twice - not a lot of pain until I looked down and saw

A Where the kneecap was, and

B the direction of my lower leg.

The first one popped pretty much straight back in and I was able to walk off the ground. Was playing again in about 4 weeks.

Second one ended up stretching all the ligaments (nothing tore or broke) and because I wasn't a professional sportsperson (and therefore unlikely committed enough to do the amount of rehab required after surgery) they just stuck my leg in plaster for 6 weeks and I spent the next 3 months walking up and down the pool doing heaps of exercises.

As predicted by the doctor (a very young Peter Larkins actually) I did enough to get back to probably 90% strength but wasn't committed enough to get the last 10% so no football, basketball, skiing etc after that.

If there's ligament damage and he needs surgery he will be fine because I doubt Jack is as slack as me.

Yes there are degrees. I think Stewie Maxfield just knocked his back into place and played out the game and didn't miss a game.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Why can't he swap/alternate with Ross in the centre square? And then onto a wing which would be that position that you plonk those 2 mids
When they are not starting in the square! Therefore solving your permanent belief that our mids cannot play anywhere but in the centre square!

Because IMO he doesn't have midfield skills. No agility. Not a fast thinker. Not quick by hand or foot. Perfect outside winger because once he gets speed up he can break tackles and doesn't need to be as quick by hand or foot and agility is close spaces doesn't matter.

I like the changes. Armo was needed for leadership and will surprise a few. Hind and White deserve a start more than Coffield, he really struggled and being a Pick 8 doesn’t get you a game with us anymore. Marsh and acres were always coming back in. Hunter/Armo battling not to be replaced by Hanners next week.

Interesting how the club likes to gift games to some not others , Paddy was gifted that many games it was not funny , at times he was a liability out there yet Coff doesn't seem to get the same luxury , Not sure whats going on with Coff but the club better hurry up and find out as the poor kid has gone backwards , im thinking what they did to him this week (dumping him ) wont help when there were plenty others in China who were very average

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
Yes there are degrees. I think Stewie Maxfield just knocked his back into place and played out the game and didn't miss a game.
Yeah I remember watching Maxfield/Creswell (whoever!!!) trying to knock it back into place and yelling at the TV No No No!!! It looked so brutal and gruesome.

Mine was simple - the trainer put one hand under the knee and lifted my ankle and it went straight in. Second time I had it back in place before the trainer got to me. Scans will tell.

Last edited:

mightymalaka

May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
Because IMO he doesn't have midfield skills. No agility. Not a fast thinker. Not quick by hand or foot. Perfect outside winger because once he gets speed up he can break tackles and doesn't need to be as quick by hand or foot and agility is close spaces doesn't matter.
Just because he doesn't fit the stereotype of what a classic mid looks like does not mean he can't play that role or that he doesn't have midfield skills!
Did Goddard? No agility is rubbish and whilst i agree he is more outside than in so is the man we seem to have permanently positioned in there at the moment
In Ross and he is not up to handling the role all by himself!
So again what is stopping them from alternating in the square and then out onto a wing where Ross has also shown he can play!

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Just because he doesn't fit the stereotype of what a classic mid looks like does not mean he can't play that role or that he doesn't have midfield skills!
Did Goddard? No agility is rubbish and whilst i agree he is more outside than in so is the man we seem to have permanently positioned in there at the moment
In Ross and he is not up to handling the role all by himself!
So again what is stopping them from alternating in the square and then out onto a wing where Ross has also shown he can play!

Not sure Goddard played as a pure mid to much but lets get serious. Acres is not Goddard.

mightymalaka

May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
Yes it was but I was talking about a time I was having a kick with Stewie and he did it. Please don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.
What good story?
So i'm supposed to know you were having a kick with Stewie! WTF?
All i know is i remember Creswell whacking it back into place famously down at Geelong one day! That's what i thought you were referring to!

mightymalaka

May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
Not sure Goddard played as a pure mid to much but lets get serious. Acres is not Goddard.
That's completely avoiding the question and just going the cheap comparison with a proven star!
No one has said he is Goddard, but there are some similarities in the way they play, especially when it comes to the midfield!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back