Preview Round 13, 2019: Gold Coast v St.Kilda - Riverway Stadium, Saturday 15th June, 1:45PM AEST *NICK HIND DEBUT*

Who Wins?

• Suns

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • Saints

Votes: 47 73.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
What good story?
So i'm supposed to know you were having a kick with Stewie! WTF?
All i know is i remember Creswell whacking it back into place famously down at Geelong one day! That's what i thought you were referring to!

That was a joke because I said the wrong name. Come on MM you are better than that. Surely you get my sarcasm by now.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
That's completely avoiding the question and just going the cheap comparison with a proven star!
No one has said he is Goddard, but there are some similarities in the way they play, especially when it comes to the midfield!

Yes but because he was a better player he could adjust and as I said he didnt play in the middle to often anyway. He was a HBF for most of his life who could run on ball but didnt do much centre bounce work because of the things that he had that dont suit centre bounce work .

mightymalaka

What we have here is a failure to communicate!
May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
That was a joke because I said the wrong name. Come on MM you are better than that. Surely you get my sarcasm by now.
My bad!
And No i am not better than that clearly....In fact i am much worse!
As you should know by now! ;)

OxSaint

All Australian
Oct 7, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
I've done mine twice - not a lot of pain until I looked down and saw

A Where the kneecap was, and

B the direction of my lower leg.

The first one popped pretty much straight back in and I was able to walk off the ground. Was playing again in about 4 weeks.

Second one ended up stretching all the ligaments (nothing tore or broke) and because I wasn't a professional sportsperson (and therefore unlikely committed enough to do the amount of rehab required after surgery) they just stuck my leg in plaster for 6 weeks and I spent the next 3 months walking up and down the pool doing heaps of exercises.

As predicted by the doctor (a very young Peter Larkins actually) I did enough to get back to probably 90% strength but wasn't committed enough to get the last 10% so no football, basketball, skiing etc after that.

If there's ligament damage and he needs surgery he will be fine because I doubt Jack is as slack as me.

I have done mine about 30 times. Only stayed out the first 2, after that it found its own way back in before I hit the ground. I didn’t get mine operated on when I should have.
Got it fixed a couple of years ago, involved 3 different procedures done at once and 18 months recovery. He won’t need this much surgery but can be a tricky one to get right and often results in recurring dislocation.

He will to find how much bone/cartilage chipped off and how much stability was lost due to the stretching of the Medial Patella Femoral ligament (MPFL)

Could be just a scope to clean out and do a lateral release or have MPFL reconstruction using hamstring or donor tissue.

I would get the reco straight up myself with where the club is at this year and aim to be firing for day 1 of pre season.

Other option will be about 4 weeks out.

OxSaint

All Australian
Oct 7, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Interesting how the club likes to gift games to some not others , Paddy was gifted that many games it was not funny , at times he was a liability out there yet Coff doesn't seem to get the same luxury , Not sure whats going on with Coff but the club better hurry up and find out as the poor kid has gone backwards , im thinking what they did to him this week (dumping him ) wont help when there were plenty others in China who were very average
I agree but this year seems to be different.

We all wailed on about selection integrity and gifting games at the expense of better options last year and now they don’t do it we have a problem with it. Playing him when he is not ready could cripple his confidence and stifle his development. Pumping games into the kids is not always the answer. Just ask Carlton and GC.

I agree but this year seems to be different.

We all wailed on about selection integrity and gifting games at the expense of better options last year and now they don’t do it we have a problem with it. Playing him when he is not ready could cripple his confidence and stifle his development. Pumping games into the kids is not always the answer. Just ask Carlton and GC.
Im not sure its a case of him not being ready , he has a mature body so i wouldnt think it would hurt him playing , just seem down on confidence or something

May 12, 2006
Lal Lal
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Elsternwick AFC
Its hard to say how Armo will go, last season it seemed that he got worse playing consecutive games at AFL level.
Round / Disposals.
1: 24
2: 27
3: 13 OUT

7: 21
8: 8
9: 8

13: 25
15: 26
16: 30
17: 27
18: 20
20 :19
21 :25
22 :15
23 :11

At his best against Gold Coast , Melbourne, Port and Carlton he got more than 10 contested possessions , at the end of the season he was getting 3 or 4.
Hopefully he is not in a horribly bad way at the moment.

If he can come in and get 20 disposals, he's a better prospect to help us win than any of the other choices.
If he played like a normal Hunter Clark game, we'd say he was terrible.

I think you'll find from Rounds 13-18 (Round 14 was the bye) Armo was playing as a pure mid but from Round 20 he was playing across half-back. Thus the statistical change.

Agree, I got a bad feeling about this one... Just fell over the line against them in Rnd 1, we were playing better then.

Who was partying or was that a joke I missed?

How could we have been playing better then if it was the first game of the season and we only just beat them?

Not sure I get this logic.

You don't think that picking Armo is sure sign that Acres isn't up to playing in the square as an inside mid?

If that's not a signal, I don't know what is.

I think it’s them going very conservative (which I guess I can understand to some extent) I just hope it doesn’t backfire on them.

They’ll play Acres as a forward/ruck again...as we know it’s his best position :rolleyes:

LiterallyNobody

Cancelled due to poster being a Campaigner
30k Posts 10k Posts Cake Connoisseur SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser Harry Potter Fan Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds Shiny Penny
Jul 26, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
How could we have been playing better then if it was the first game of the season and we only just beat them?

Not sure I get this logic.
Agreed. I believe I put a nasty post in the Richo thread after round one saying nothing had changed and we were going to get flogged all year and that I hated that everyone else that was s**t had improved more than we had.

Now we are 5-6, I like Richo and want him to keep his job, there's several teams worse than us this year and I think we win this one. I might be tipping us this week for the first time since round 6.

To me he's a bit of a Brendon Goddard wannabe.

Took BJ quite a few years to hit his straps if I recall correctly. Would be rapt if BA could turn out as good.

LiterallyNobody

30k Posts 10k Posts Cake Connoisseur SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser Harry Potter Fan Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds Shiny Penny
Jul 26, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
Took BJ quite a few years to hit his straps if I recall correctly. Would be rapt if BA could turn out as good.
I remember the first game I saw that really impressed me was round 20 (I think) 2003 we played Richmond at etihad and he dominated.

Then the following year round eight at etihad versus the filth. Another impressive match - but yeah he took a few years to hit his straps.

mightymalaka

May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
Seem to remember BJ also suffered from not playing in a fixed position early days as well!
He was tried all over the ground in his early years, and it wasn't until he got some continuity and rhythm in a set position that he began
To show his class and worth to the team!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Seem to remember BJ also suffered from not playing in a fixed position early days as well!
He was tried all over the ground in his early years, and it wasn't until he got some continuity and rhythm in a set position that he began
Still think he played everywhere just more at hbf. A true utility exactly as acres is being played. Just completely different class

LiterallyNobody

Jul 26, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
I don't think he ever actually settle on one position - he was just the truest utility we ever had.

mightymalaka

May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
Still think he played everywhere just more at hbf. A true utility exactly as acres is being played. Just completely different class
Yeah but he didn't excel as a true utility until after he had settled at half back for a while! Once he became an important player and was well and truly
Established in the team, then Lyon used him to great effect all over the place after he was the finished article as a player!

Don't think it does anyone any good switching them all over the place whilst they are still developing!

Mar 19, 2008
Narre Warren North
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Just because he doesn't fit the stereotype of what a classic mid looks like does not mean he can't play that role or that he doesn't have midfield skills!
Did Goddard? No agility is rubbish and whilst i agree he is more outside than in so is the man we seem to have permanently positioned in there at the moment
In Ross and he is not up to handling the role all by himself!
So again what is stopping them from alternating in the square and then out onto a wing where Ross has also shown he can play!

As has been pointed out , Acres has played in the ruck.
Acres had less clearances and contested possessions while playing in the ruck than Marshall did.
Whilst Marshall does good work around the ground , he's hardly a great inside mid.

mightymalaka

May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
As has been pointed out , Acres has played in the ruck.
Acres had less clearances and contested possessions while playing in the ruck than Marshall did.
Whilst Marshall does good work around the ground , he's hardly a great inside mid.
You won't get any argument from me that he's hardly a great inside mid!
I don't believe he is an inside mid at all, that's what i've been saying!

My issue was that he has been misused and that he should be played as an outside mid swapping with Ross and then onto a wing!

Don't think i have ever used the words inside and outside more than i have today. Now i feel left out in the cold! :oops:

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
This game is
Screenshot_20190614-165929_Samsung%20Internet.jpeg

If ever a club can use a a free excuse card for a loss then tomorrow is the day.

Nope, no excuses. It’s not like we’re playing a top 4 team.

We’ve had the break and we’ve got another two players, Hind (debutant) and White (selected for the first time in forever) who will be champing at the bit and a team with a point to prove after the China debacle.

We need to get this done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back