Preview Round 13, 2019: Gold Coast v St.Kilda - Riverway Stadium, Saturday 15th June, 1:45PM AEST *NICK HIND DEBUT*

Who Wins?

• Suns

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • Saints

Votes: 47 73.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd imagine the selectors will go with the same old guard this week against GC which they will presume (wrongfully in my view) is a winnable game. The question is what happens if we lose. Will the likes of White, Hind, Coffield and Clark get a good run of games to round out the season. Our only highlight this year had been the backline more or less holding its own with a bunch of block like slugs for a midfield (Marshall, and Gresh to a lesser extent exempt) and a misfiring and largely ineffectual forward line for company. Coffield is not a midfielder, and neither is White...where do they fit in. Webster is beloved by the coach and so is McKenzie and seemingly Marsh. Savage is doing well this year, and we've got Carlisle to come back in at some stage. It's guys like Newnes, Bruce, Acres, the much maligned Dunstan, Ross, and even Steele, who need to work on things...but if you take them out, we have no midfield depth to come in with the exception of Clark. Our need for mids has never been more glaring.

*Hanners and Steven I forgot to mention....but it changes nothing. Midfield needs a serious overhaul.

Last edited:
I'd imagine the selectors will go with the same old guard this week against GC which they will presume (wrongfully in my view) is a winnable game. The question is what happens if we lose. Will the likes of White, Hind, Coffield and Clark get a good run of games to round out the season. Our only highlight this year had been the backline more or less holding its own with a bunch of block like slugs for a midfield (Marshall, and Gresh to a lesser extent exempt) and a misfiring and largely ineffectual forward line for company. Coffield is not a midfielder, and neither is White...where do they fit in. Webster is beloved by the coach and so is McKenzie and seemingly Marsh. Savage is doing well this year, and we've got Carlisle to come back in at some stage. It's guys like Newnes, Bruce, Acres, the much maligned Dunstan, Ross, and even Steele, who need to work on things...but if you take them out, we have no midfield depth to come in with the exception of Clark. Our need for mids has never been more glaring.
Hopefully getting Hannebery and Steven back in the coming weeks helps our midfield and getting Carlisle and King into the team will improve our attack - it could allow Carlisle to go forward or back same as Battle.

Hopefully getting Hannebery and Steven back in the coming weeks helps our midfield and getting Carlisle and King into the team will improve our attack - it could allow Carlisle to go forward or back same as Battle.

Having those guys in will definitely help, but I would love to see guys like Newnes, Acres, Sinclair, and Ross in particular feel the heat from some decent competition coming through the ranks. They are too comfortable with their lot. I'd throw in Steele and Billings too, as I don't think they are playing to the best of their abilities...but at least they crack in. Dunstan, as frustrating as he can be at times, tries his guts out. Can't knock him...but there is no one really coming through to test these guys or push them. Our forward line is only marginally better due to our recruiting in the previous draft. Having Hanners and Steven will make us a better team, but does it make guys like those mentioned above get off free for their limited output?

Having those guys in will definitely help, but I would love to see guys like Newnes, Acres, Sinclair, and Ross in particular feel the heat from some decent competition coming through the ranks. They are too comfortable with their lot. I'd throw in Steele and Billings too, as I don't think they are playing to the best of their abilities...but at least they crack in. Dunstan, as frustrating as he can be at times, tries his guts out. Can't knock him...but there is no one really coming through to test these guys or push them. Our forward line is only marginally better due to our recruiting in the previous draft. Having Hanners and Steven will make us a better team, but does it make guys like those mentioned above get off free for their limited output?
Hannebery and Steven will get to players dropped who that will be I don't know , but surely Hannebery will cause one of our many wingers getting dropped - suppose whoever the selectors feel - Acres , Sinclair , Newnes
Steven could be another but I feel due to his lack of game time he will be played from the half forward flank rotated through the middle with Gresham.

I can see Hannebery playing in 3/4 weeks time. I doubt we will see Steven this season. Or if we go by the rumors, he might have played his last game at saints.

I can see Hannebery playing in 3/4 weeks time. I doubt we will see Steven this season. Or if we go by the rumors, he might have played his last game at saints.
Can't see Hanners playing 3 or 4 more weeks down there. I think if he gets through this week well he'll play next week.

I'd also be surprised if Jack was back training and had no intention of playing.

Last edited:
Can't see Hanners playing 3 or 4 more weeks down there. I think if he gets through this week well he'll play next week.

I'd also be surprised if Jack was back training and had no intention of playing.
They'd be pretty keen to get Dan in there pretty quickly I'd imagine.

Can't wait to see who comes out for him.

Yes it is very easy to speculate about Steven however by him returning to training points to him being a good chance of returning in the near future, also Hannebery played 3/4 of game the week before last and due to his long build up to full fitness he would be looking at a return to the seniors the game after this week , unless of course he breaks down which could well happen.
The post from Cooper about Langlands is interesting , because we could well see him front up in the coming weeks if injury doesn't effect him again.

Anyway way today I fully expect there will at least be 3 to 5 changes today - White , McKenzie , Acres , Paton and Marsh.
Action has to be taken from last weeks game due to the performance.
And I'm giving Billings and Savage a pass because they should of not played against Port , they are better than what they showed and I fully expect big games from both on Saturday.

The following week Hannebery and King will most probably play if they come through this weeks game at Sandringham unscathed.
It will be interesting about Webster , he will come back in but having McKenzie , White , Savage , Wilkie , Brown , Battle someone has to go and I fully expect White will be playing for the next few games to give the guy a chance to show why he needs to be in the side.
I predict it will be between Brown and Marsh.
Paton also needs a spot but I feel he will be used elsewhere.(Richardson can't turn everyone into a half back flanker - also I see Coffield as a creative player and feel he would be far better as a Tom Lynch type from the Crows , to me he looks like Dal Santo - as I say not everyone is a half back flanker)

Our small forwards are going to be feeling the heat , they have to start getting more of the ball and scoring if not they will not be playing , we have Paton , Hunter Clark , Langlands , Paton , Steven , Hannebery and King all pushing for selection and surely one of the small forwards will be pushed out and that is not even looking at when Lonie comes back.

Pretty simple.. just pick the most in-form players. Whoever is pushing hard at Sandy needs to get a senior game, and those in the seniors who are not doing enough, need to go to Sandy. Billings had an average game the week before the China game, so no excuses for him. The worry is the under-performing forward line, and midfield..both need to start getting more of the ball, and, doing more with it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty simple.. just pick the most in-form players. Whoever is pushing hard at Sandy needs to get a senior game, and those in the seniors who are not doing enough, need to go to Sandy. Billings had an average game the week before the China game, so no excuses for him. The worry is the under-performing forward line, and midfield..both need to start getting more of the ball, and, doing more with it.
Pretty scary when you look at the game stats. Our mids aren't getting big numbers.

Our defenders get just as many.

Whereas the opposition usually have at least two mids with 30+.

Pretty scary when you look at the game stats. Our mids aren't getting big numbers.

Our defenders get just as many.

Whereas the opposition usually have at least two mids with 30+.
The other problem, when we do have a mid get 30+ they normally aren't effective..
Sorry - I should add lately.. The numbers in the past few weeks haven't been flash.
Ed Phillips confirmed out - hamstring.

Read twitter thread:

VDS - didn't realise you were at training this morning. Nice shades though.

Last edited:
Other than accumulating possessions, I'm not sure Phillips currently adds much to our line up. He can struggle when he is "one on one" defensively and whenever he takes a mark, he takes an eternity to get rid of it. He works hard up and down the ground but most of his possessions seem very beige to me and he doesn't often put his teammates into dangerous attacking positions.
Regarding dangerous attacking positions: FWIW I always thought Roberton was one of our bravest players with ball in hand. He was the one that was always prepared to pull the trigger on an inside kick that would put a teammate into a dangerous attacking position. IMO he has been one of our biggest losses this year.

The other problem, when we do have a mid get 30+ they normally aren't effective..
Sorry - I should add lately.. The numbers in the past few weeks haven't been flash.

VDS - didn't realise you were at training this morning. Nice shades though.
This was my first ever double quote and you can now call me Mikka Gates.

Yes it is very easy to speculate about Steven however by him returning to training points to him being a good chance of returning in the near future, also Hannebery played 3/4 of game the week before last and due to his long build up to full fitness he would be looking at a return to the seniors the game after this week , unless of course he breaks down which could well happen.
The post from Cooper about Langlands is interesting , because we could well see him front up in the coming weeks if injury doesn't effect him again.

Anyway way today I fully expect there will at least be 3 to 5 changes today - White , McKenzie , Acres , Paton and Marsh.
Action has to be taken from last weeks game due to the performance.
And I'm giving Billings and Savage a pass because they should of not played against Port , they are better than what they showed and I fully expect big games from both on Saturday.

The following week Hannebery and King will most probably play if they come through this weeks game at Sandringham unscathed.
It will be interesting about Webster , he will come back in but having McKenzie , White , Savage , Wilkie , Brown , Battle someone has to go and I fully expect White will be playing for the next few games to give the guy a chance to show why he needs to be in the side.
I predict it will be between Brown and Marsh.
Paton also needs a spot but I feel he will be used elsewhere.(Richardson can't turn everyone into a half back flanker - also I see Coffield as a creative player and feel he would be far better as a Tom Lynch type from the Crows , to me he looks like Dal Santo - as I say not everyone is a half back flanker)

Our small forwards are going to be feeling the heat , they have to start getting more of the ball and scoring if not they will not be playing , we have Paton , Hunter Clark , Langlands , Paton , Steven , Hannebery and King all pushing for selection and surely one of the small forwards will be pushed out and that is not even looking at when Lonie comes back.

A very good post, I hope you are right about White I think he has shown he has matured throughout the year. I worry about Coffield he seems to have lost his zest and eagerness for the game. Perhaps you are right and using him as a lead up medium forward would release the shackles. I think some kids are deep thinkers before they come to the AFL and struggle with being 'over coached' when the arrive - perhaps he is one. If you look at Carlton & Norths recent examples 'less is more' with most players they just want to enjoy the game the grew up doing well at.

I wouldnt be unhappy to leave King in the VFL for the year, just to give him more time to grow into his body and get more used to playing at a higher level before exposing him to the AFL. I understand supporters want to see there prize 'stallion' out prancing his stuff, but for a tall gangly kid with a history of knee injuries we need to be very patient.

In a few weeks we will have most players available - it will make it very interesting.

That's the big problem- we just don't get enough of the ball
We have been competitive due to our system. When it falls apart against better teams we have been exposed.

As much as I enjoyed our start and as optimistic as I am, the last 5 games have shown where we are really at IMO.

Kudos to the coaches for stemming the tide as much as they have.

Even more so if we kicked straighter.

If we had Steven and Dan back at full fitness, we are a four win better team IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back