Preview Round 13 2020 - Brisbane Lions vs St Kilda, GABBA, Sunday August 23 3:35pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't watched many saints games this year, what's their backline like? Just looking at the names in the lineup no one jumps out at me, as opposed to their mid and forward line

I'm genuinely baffled with the pessimism on this board.

We're 9-3, and yeah we were flat last week, but so have all top 8 sides at various stages this season. We lost to Carlton last year and then won the next 9, I think that poor North performance will give the rebound we need. It's a good kick in the bum reminder of the required intensity. We're also 2 players in Rich and Martin off our best 22. Lastly, we've won 15 H&A games at the Gabba in a row. I don't care how much they've played at the Gabba this season, we know it and play it better. We also create the most scoring opportunities of any side in the comp.

Look at St Kilda's last 3 games: 2pt win over GC, 59pt loss to the Cats and a 33pt win against a depleted Essendon team that we beat by 63 (with a much worse 22 than we're putting out tomorrow).

I'm not saying we will 100% win, but I really don't understand how people don't have confidence in the team.

Adams aswell.
I feel like Lester is playing that role at the moment. I'd say Adams would be handy on team balance particularly against say the tigers, you could have Andrews, Adams and Lester playing on 3 tall forwards and Gardiner playing on Martin when he is resting forward.

I'm genuinely baffled with the pessimism on this board.

We're 9-3, and yeah we were flat last week, but so have all top 8 sides at various stages this season. We lost to Carlton last year and then won the next 9, I think that poor North performance will give the rebound we need. It's a good kick in the bum reminder of the required intensity. We're also 2 players in Rich and Martin off our best 22. Lastly, we've won 15 H&A games at the Gabba in a row. I don't care how much they've played at the Gabba this season, we know it and play it better. We also create the most scoring opportunities of any side in the comp.

Look at St Kilda's last 3 games: 2pt win over GC, 59pt loss to the Cats and a 33pt win against a depleted Essendon team that we beat by 63 (with a much worse 22 than we're putting out tomorrow).

I'm not saying we will 100% win, but I really don't understand how people don't have confidence in the team.

We'll be lucky to get within 10 goals of the saints I reckon.

I kid. Lions by 6 goals. What are you negative nellies smoking?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lester's been solid too.
Yeah I as agree, and the start of the year I would have said Adams is best 22, and I didnt really have a spot for Lester but I think he is really reinventing himself in defence.

I do worry about being exposed for lack of height for a really tall forward line. Particularly if Gardiner has to play lock down role on a shorter player.

No CEY and Mathieson.. I wonder who will play next to Neale and Lyons as that big body mid.

Hoping for Starcevich.. let's see.
To be honest, we haven’t really had a big body next to them all year! Cey has only spent limited time in the middle as well as Rayner! Beast spent a fair bit of time up forward last week and I would much rather have Rayner having those fwd/mid field minutes. His midfield work has come along really well this year! Bez games have really taken a hit this year when he loses midfield minutes to cey and Rayner! His will be the big body to protect the little fella’s and have a monster game tomorrow!
So my answer in short, Rayner and Berry.

No CEY and Mathieson.. I wonder who will play next to Neale and Lyons as that big body mid.

Not sure that big bodied midfielder is always needed. No CEY last year with only 6 games this and Matho has only played 10 games over the last 2 seasons and we’ve done pretty well without them both.

Hmm assuming Ah Chee stays up forward we've got 7 listed defenders playing tomorrow in Andrews, Gardiner, Lester, Answerth, Witherden, Starcevich and Birchall. So unless Ah Chee goes into the backline, I can't see anything changing much. Rayner was a straight swap for Mathieson so hopefully more midfield time. With shorter qtrs and a few weeks off it suits him well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back