Preview Round 13, 2020: Brisbane v St.Kilda - Gabba, Sunday 23rd August, 3:35PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Lions

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Saints

Votes: 33 47.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disagree. Defenders are still accountable for a player & have defined roles, even the extra.
That’s not how defences operate now. They are accountable for whoever they are on at a particular moment, but the game has changed from when defenders had their man and they stick with them for four quarters. It doesn’t mean they defend any less - of course they are still accountable to whoever is their responsibility at any given moment - but it’s not a case of get one forward and battle with him for the match, generally.

There will be specific roles at times for particular players, but it’s not seven backs taking on seven different forwards.

No, just part of a 6 man defensive unit rather than having a specific role to beat one player.

This doesn’t make sense. The only time they aren’t accountable is when the defence is pressing up (when we are controlling the ball or dominating field position) & holding a zone. When the call bounces in the middle, or there’s a defensive stoppage, or the oppo is controlling field position, the defenders will be accountable for a player/s.

Who would you play him on? I don’t like him against Cameron, Zorko, McCarthy or Mcluggage.

Also have Long on the bench.
McCarthy probably the most likely out of those.

They'll rotate their forwards and we'll rotate our backs though so no doubt we see him with a few different match ups.

He looks a bit beaten up at the moment but hopefully he can play a role

This doesn’t make sense. The only time they aren’t accountable is when the defence is pressing up & holding a zone. When the call bounces in the middle, or there’s a defensive stoppage, or the oppo is controlling field position, the defenders will be accountable for a player/s.
He will be accountable for different players throughout the game, not just one specific player.

He will likely have some time on Cameron, some time on McCarthy, then Rayner etc.

All part of the zone defence we play.

McCarthy probably the most likely out of those.

They'll rotate their forwards and we'll rotate our backs though so no doubt we see him with a few different match ups.

He looks a bit beaten up at the moment but hopefully he can play a role

Personally I would have it like this
Paton - Cameron
Wilkie - McCarthy
Long - Zorko
Howard - Hipwood
Carlisle - McStay
Geary - resting mid
Coffield - loose

Edit: forgot Rayner is back. Wilkie will need to play on him

And he will but it will be different players throughout the game.

We play a zone defense so he won't have the same opponent the entire time.
Most of the time our backs seem to spend large portions of games on one opponent. I've got no doubt we'd have preferred match ups for each player going into the game.

Paton spent almost the whole game on Betts and Papley for instance.

Each players have their strengths and weaknesses.

Paton - Cameron
Wilkie - McCarthy
Long - Zorko
Howard - Hipwood
Carlisle - McStay
Geary - resting mid
Coffield - loose

We haven't really gone with the 7 man back line a lot though have we?

Only reason Coff ended up loose last week was because that's what the Bombers did I think.

Don't mind those match ups though.

He will be accountable for different players throughout the game, not just one specific player.

He will likely have some time on Cameron, some time on McCarthy, then Rayner etc.

All part of the zone defence we play.

Rotating on different players is dependent on the opposition rotating forwards or our defenders getting smashed by their direct opponent. Zone defence is a different concept.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We haven't really gone with the 7 man back line a lot though have we?

Only reason Coff ended up loose last week was because that's what the Bombers did I think.

Don't mind those match ups though.

Yea probably correct. Gee the Lions have a dangerous forward line. Lucky they can’t hit the target!

Most of the time our backs seem to spend large portions of games on one opponent. I've got no doubt we'd have preferred match ups for each player going into the game.

Paton spent almost the whole game on Betts and Papley for instance.

Each players have their strengths and weaknesses.
Not really. Occasionally they do, like Paton spending the majority of time on Papley or Howard will play on the deepest forward etc.. But typically, our backs dont have direct one-on-one match ups throughout the entire game.

Great example of this if Long in the Gold Coast game. He was constantly rotating on the small/mid sized forwards of Gold Coast. This is what the backline does for most games.

Not really. Occasionally they do, like Paton spending the majority of time on Papley or Howard will play on the deepest forward etc.. But typically, our backs dont have one-on-one match ups throughout the game.

Great example of this if Long in the Gold Coast game. He was constantly rotating on the small/mid sized forwards of Gold Coast. This is what the backline does for most games.
I think that has a lot to do with the way opposition rotates players on and off the bench though. It makes it impossible to stay on one player for a whole game.

They'd still have their preferred match ups.

In the game you are referring to Long spent most of his time on Sexton or Ainsworth.

He's going to have match ups that are more suited to him than Coffiled and Wilkie and vise versa.

There are few guys in that forward line I wouldn't want to see Geary on.

Paton - Cameron
Wilkie - McCarthy
Long - Zorko
Howard - Hipwood
Carlisle - McStay
Geary - resting mid
Coffield - loose

Rayner is a pretty low possession player, he’ll be lucky to get a touch if Wilkie plays on him.

We need to nullify Neale and Zorko and we will win.
We can do that.
We should monster them in the ruck, Steele and Ross will shut them down and Jones and co will win the ball.

The good thing about teams dependant on stars is that you have clear targets and strategies.
A champion TEAM will always beat a team of Champions.

If you haven’t already done so, I recommend you go and visit the Lions board and read the post for the preview of this game on the corresponding thread.

It’s well written and a really good read, with very good analysis of our game and team.
Thanks for the kind words. Was fun to write as I've always had a soft spot for the saints. Must be the Lenny Hayes effect.

Hopefully it's a great game tomorrow. All the best!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back