Preview Round 13, 2020 vs Hawthorn - Chad is coming to town

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorn is at war with itself according to 'an insider'!

The good old trade whisperer, his strike rate rivals St Kilda’s trophy cabinet.

Anything he says you just need to think the complete opposite and then you are on the money.

Just on our outs Sicily, JOM are out and the AGE is spot on about Gunston and Frawley both very very unlikely to play, Gunston could hardly move all game with his back.

It’s going to get ugly for us as you guys have really impressed this year, and are right in the Flag race.

The good old trade whisperer, his strike rate rivals St Kilda’s trophy cabinet.

Anything he says you just need to think the complete opposite and then you are on the money.

Just on our outs Sicily, JOM are out and the AGE is spot on about Gunston and Frawley both very very unlikely to play, Gunston could hardly move all game with his back.

It’s going to get ugly for us as you guys have really impressed this year, and are right in the Flag race.

There was talk about Mitchell, is he good to go?

Gee, if I was going to make a big change, would engage with destination leaders and ex premiership players. Jarman Impey? An average to solid player that will provide some impressive bursts of quality football followed by a plethora of panicked turnovers. No offence to Jarman, but hardly the guy to make an unbiased call on how a club is truly tracking. Stating you are going to Hawks to improve as a player with one of the best AFL coaches in history would make sense to me. But now they appear to be within a group on the road for a long stretch of rebuilding. However I would never underestimate Alistair. After years of cocky Hawthorn BigFooty posters, we now get to enjoy Richmond taking that mantle. Now I realise hawks supporters were not bad at all in comparison
Jarman moved to Victoria for more personal reasons, not because he was a super star or Port never wanted him.
Shaun on the other hand was a genuine champion of the game, at Port and Hawthorn.
Wingard imo was also a very talented player, the reasons for his departure are a gray area, depending on who's story you listen too. Again imo Wingard was a product of a failed system, lazy maybe but why did the club not deal with his issues. Wingard is no different to the experienced players that did not show the dedication needed to play at AFL level against Geelong. Should we move them all on, or sack the so called coach that allowed Dixon and Clurey to be savaged by Geelong.

Last edited:

Jarman moved to Victoria for more personal reasons, not because he was a super star or Port never wanted him.
Shaun on the other hand was a genuine champion of the game, at Port and Hawthorn.
Wingard imo was also a very talented player, the reasons for his departure are a gray area, depending on who's story you listen too. Again imo Wingard was a product of a failed system, lazy maybe but why did the club not deal with his issues. Wingard is no different to the experienced players that did not show the dedication needed to play at AFL level against Geelong. Should we move them all on, or sack the so called coach that allowed Dixon and Clurey to be savaged by Geelong.
The greatest test for both arguments is surely his success going forward, moving from a "failed system" to industry best and under "the best coach in the business" surely this will tell us why he failed at port, or is hawthorn now failing him systematically again?

Hopefully we will see more active management of players going into the final stretch of the regular season -- like Geelong has been doing. Duursma, Georgiades and Ladhams in particular look like they need a rest. Westhoff will need to come back in at some point, even if only for a couple of games.

It’s wild to suggest that there was no attempt to curb any issues that Chad may have had. He’s clearly the kind of talent you would bend over backwards to support and I’d be staggered if we didn’t do that. This is why you end up trading out a player who won’t get with the program. Now you could argue that these coaches haven’t earned the right to do such a thing, but the sorts of the performances we have seen this year is reflective of a team on the same page (or closer to it).

Of course, it’s extremely frustrating for supporters to lose a much loved player; it’s pure guess work to suggest the coaches didn’t work with him or give him chances to evolve as a footballer.

The greatest test for both arguments is surely his success going forward, moving from a "failed system" to industry best and under "the best coach in the business" surely this will tell us why he failed at port, or is hawthorn now failing him systematically again?

With JOM now out for the rest of the season, wait and see whether he gets proper midfield time. If he does and he fails, then it's on him. If he does and he succeeds, or if he doesn't get the opportunity at all, then it's on the system.

i was a massive wingard fan, but the club tried nearly everything to motivate him and make him the best he could be. 100% true that year in year out he would rock up to pre season massively underdone and out of shape. He showed very little interest in being part of the team. I get it that some players are introverts and dont love the game, but you should put in what you need for the collective.

i was a massive wingard fan, but the club tried nearly everything to motivate him and make him the best he could be. 100% true that year in year out he would rock up to pre season massively underdone and out of shape. He showed very little interest in being part of the team. I get it that some players are introverts and dont love the game, but you should put in what you need for the collective.
Fair enough, you must have closer contacts to the club than I. Lucky that Richmond in particular Mark Williams didn't give up on Dusty martin.

It’s wild to suggest that there was no attempt to curb any issues that Chad may have had. He’s clearly the kind of talent you would bend over backwards to support and I’d be staggered if we didn’t do that. This is why you end up trading out a player who won’t get with the program. Now you could argue that these coaches haven’t earned the right to do such a thing, but the sorts of the performances we have seen this year is reflective of a team on the same page (or closer to it).

Of course, it’s extremely frustrating for supporters to lose a much loved player; it’s pure guess work to suggest the coaches didn’t work with him or give him chances to evolve as a footballer.
Example - Richmond, Dusty. Never give up and that's the result.

Fair enough, you must have closer contacts to the club than I. Lucky that Richmond in particular Mark Williams didn't give up on Dusty martin.
Dusty works hard at his game and his fitness. Chad never showed a willingness to change his bad habits.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dusty works hard at his game and his fitness. Chad never showed a willingness to change his bad habits.

I can only speak for myself here, but if I had a trio of dickheads who had never achieved anything as coaches telling me to buck my ideas up for whatever reason, I might retreat mentally as well.

Choco pushed Dusty to greater heights because Choco had a modicum of credibility when it came to that sort of thing.

AFL website article talking about potential All Australians. I'll just leave this here ...

Chad Wingard
Spends most of his time up forward, with midfield stints. He ranks third among general forwards for inside 50s, equal-fifth in score involvements, sixth for metres gained and equal-eighth in disposals.

Yep. And there is only so long you can chastise the players for without their being consequences.

Think of it like the Nick Stevens non-trade in terms of long term consequences and benefits. .

AFL website article talking about potential All Australians. I'll just leave this here ...

Chad Wingard
Spends most of his time up forward, with midfield stints. He ranks third among general forwards for inside 50s, equal-fifth in score involvements, sixth for metres gained and equal-eighth in disposals.
Unrelated but stoked to see Butters get a mention in that article
Would love for him to make the squad

Chad Wingard

Any defensive stats?

Yep. And there is only so long you can chastise the players for without their being consequences.

Chad Cornes had it in for him from the moment he returned.

At least we’ve got poor man’s Isaac Smith and Sicknote Burton as a result.

Danger game. Port should win.. but this is the type of game where the kids s**t the bed and wipe the faeces all over the wall.

I can only speak for myself here, but if I had a trio of dickheads who had never achieved anything as coaches telling me to buck my ideas up for whatever reason, I might retreat mentally as well.

Choco pushed Dusty to greater heights because Choco had a modicum of credibility when it came to that sort of thing.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion and i respect yours mate. I am more than happy he is gone, and that's my view on the situation. Immensely talented, no doubt, but he doesn't seem to be doing a hell of a lot better under the best coach going around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back