Review Round 13, 2020 vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

So broad observations:
- Hawthorn came to play and had clearly studied how to beat us, they simply lacked the cattle
- bar the first quarter, we matched the Hawks but still generally looked flat and slow
- the press is good but needs hard work to make it stick. If the midfield are off then our defence is exposed. We also lack a pacy sweeper like Burton to cover when it gets out the back. Duursma’s and Amon’s hard work is often under appreciated in how important they are
- I think we need to change our view on Lienert, Bonner, Sutcliffe, Westhoff and Mayes. These guys are second or third in options, to cover when short. As such, they generally do ok but are not games changers.
- the young guys will be up and down and will tire. MG, Woodcock, Butters, Rozee, Duursma, etc, it’s awesome that we are getting so many games into these kids.
- the up and down performances of Wines, Clurey, etc are not acceptable.
- SPP has really added an ability to lift and to respond when the team needs him. Credit to him.
- Motlop is 50/50. Is he done? Do we give him a further run because his good and best mean Port win?
- maybe we are fatigued from the short breaks or extra training
- we can win it this year

Wines and Clurey were both very good last night and have been good for quite a while, outside of the geelong game, where the whole team was down.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

WC are only flag favorites because they have had the second best streak of home games in the league, combined with there being a chance the grand final will be played in Perth. If the grand final was announced as being in Adelaide Ports odds would come in significantly.

I reckon their list and record under Simpson compared to Hinkley's has a fair bit to do with it. This will be their 6th year in a row of finals. They are finals battle hardened compared to us.

i think it’s a tad harsh myself. Really alienated those two kids.

I think he could have delivered that better

It would've been better if he'd said "I'm not interested in those boys today" which I expect is what he meant anyway. Ladhams and Houston certainly deserve the criticism they've received and it's appropriate for Hinkley to express the club's anger and disappointment publicly. But I agree that the way he phrased it is too harsh. Ladhams and Houston have to earn the trust of the club back, but at the same time they have to have the opportunity to do that, else they don't even have a reason to try. "I don't care about..." is too close to "those two are dead to me" for comfort. I assume it was just a poor choice of words and not reflective of the club's actual mindset.

Last edited:
Ken’s comment was fine.
He didn’t have a go at them, he didn’t encourage further media outrage about it and talked about the game.
I get that it’s fashionable to dislike Hinkley (and I’m not particularly a fan) but I find this version of Ken far more palatable than the one we’re used to seeing.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

i think it’s a tad harsh myself. Really alienated those two kids.

I think he could have delivered that better

Nah perfectly delivered. He makes clear that he doesn't care about them "today".

They ****ed up and the rest of the boys are now shouldering the load and the gap they have left. Even getting the 4 points this weekend, we failed to get any % against one of the worst teams in the comp. With those two in we may have gotten the additional 3-5% that potentially could be the difference between 4th and 5th come finals, who knows.

I still am one of Dan Houston's biggest fans and I still back them both in to be long term superstars of our club, but right here, right now, they need to just be out of sight and doing everything they can to regain trust.

Just watched a replay of the last qtr. Besides Butter's goal, two of the highlights for me were Hartlett's spoil to deny Patton a mark in the pocket and then immediately having a not so quiet word to Lycett for basically giving up on impacting the contest. The other was when Jiath took the mark in our forward area, played on and got caught by Robbie on the mark. Interestingly, going back to previous comments in this thread, Glass was on the mark ready to block Robbie so Jiath could play on before the ump called "play on". The umpire audibly tells Glass to clear out two or three times and is basically ignored then calls play on. My question is should the umpire have paid us a free kick? I looked at the rules and came up with this.

19.1.2 Protected Area(a) The Protected Area after a Player is awarded a Mark or Free Kick is a corridor which extends from 10 metres either side of The Mark to 10 metres either side of, and five metre arc behind, the Player with the football, as illustrated in Diagram 4.(b) No Player shall enter and remain in the Protected Area unless the field Umpire calls ‘Play On’ or the Player from the opposing Team is accompanying or following within two metres of their opponent. Any Player caught in the Protected Area must make every endeavour to clear the Protected Area immediately.

So maybe the Hawks poster B&GBlood #knowtherules can help us out....

Last edited:
Is this similar to what similar tackles have been given. I am pretty sure Mcevoy, though a little shaken, played on.
Ref: S. Burgoyne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure why we insist on playing our 3 talls up forward grouped together. You can throw blanket over them most of the game. No wonder Dixon is competing against 3 or 4 opponents. Then you watch Geelong and Hawkins has the whole 50 to himself. Surely we can take something from that?

Not sure why we insist on playing our 3 talls up forward grouped together. You can throw blanket over them most of the game. No wonder Dixon is competing against 3 or 4 opponents. Then you watch Geelong and Hawkins has the whole 50 to himself. Surely we can take something from that?

I don't have the stats but Charlie has probably had more shots on goal than porkins. He just shanks most of them while Hawkins is a great kick

Oh, can I just say that Jarman Impey tugging on his jumper after he asked to leave for compassionate reasons while still be contracted says a lot about his character. Congratulations Jarman, you've gone to a team that's going to see no success in your career.

Oh, can I just say that Jarman Impey tugging on his jumper after he asked to leave for compassionate reasons while still be contracted says a lot about his character. Congratulations Jarman, you've gone to a team that's going to see no success in your career.

This didn't happen, and even if it did, who gives a s**t? Must you assassinate the character of every past PAFC player in the league? This is a football club, not a cult.

This didn't happen, and even if it did, who gives a sh*t? Must you assassinate the character of every past PAFC player in the league? This is a football club, not a cult.

I think we have very different ideas about what character assassination is. Did I say anything negative about him? I said it shows you what his character is like.

And I assure you that it happened. It wasn't overt...a blink and you'll miss it kind of thing that happened after he knew his kick was a goal in the third quarter...and it might have only been shown on the Adelaide Oval feed (if you watch the highlights from the Fox replay which shows his kick from behind the goals, you can see him doing it from a fair distance, but at the ground the feed was focused on him the whole time).

I just find it a little grubby when players do it against their former team in the first game they play on their ex-teams home ground, especially in the situation surrounding his departure. That's not 'character assassination'. It's different if the club had wanted to get rid of him.

Then again, I remember how you lot treated him when he was here, giving him s**t week in and week out, so maybe he had justification for it. If Pittard kicked the winner against us in a game played at Adelaide Oval and he did it, I'd say he definitely had justification for it.

I'd also like to know who are these other PAFC players I've supposedly assassinated the character of? I don't give a s**t about their character. I don't even know these guys, so how could I make a judgement on whether they are people of high character or not? All I judge is their performance on the field and what they do on it, so I'm talking about them as a football player, not as a human being.

I reckon their list and record under Simpson compared to Hinkley's has a fair bit to do with it. This will be their 6th year in a row of finals. They are finals battle hardened compared to us.

True it is a combination, winning 8 in a row all at home has a hell of a lot to do with it. They whinged about the Qld hub then got gifted too many games at home in a row as a result (with WA government adding to the situation).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back