Autopsy Round 13, 2021: Hawks sink the Swans

Buzz Hawk

Club Legend
Jul 23, 2017
Buttox
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The Worpel “incident” is no longer on that shitty AFL website as far as I can see.
Naturally they don‘t show it on the afl.com website press release.
Perfect tackle IMO, held the guy’s arm, brought him down and did not sling him at all.
Should have been incorrect disposal.
What a farce the game has become. If nothing else, we have to appeal this for the good of the game.

CHUBBSS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The Worpel “incident” is no longer on that shitty AFL website as far as I can see.
Naturally they don‘t show it on the afl.com website press release.
Perfect tackle IMO, held the guy’s arm, brought him down and did not sling him at all.
Should have been incorrect disposal.
What a farce the game has become. If nothing else, we have to appeal this for the good of the game.
We are appealing its a deadset joke, and if we don’t well few letters will be made to Jeff

MadDawg

Premiership Player
Feb 3, 2006
Counting cups
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
The greatest team of all!
I'm a bit confused with the Worpel suspension.

Is the rule:

'If you choose to tackle and they get hurt, you are automatically suspended'?

I thought this suspension was to stop slinging players who had long disposed of the ball, but this doesn't look to fit that criteria.

Liverbird

Debutant
Oct 9, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm a bit confused with the Worpel suspension.

Is the rule:

'If you choose to tackle and they get hurt, you are automatically suspended'?

I thought this suspension was to stop slinging players who had long disposed of the ball, but this doesn't look to fit that criteria.

AFL Tribunal Guideline section 4.2(B) has been amended: “Any dangerous tackle” to replace references to “spear tackle” and “driving an opponent into the ground when his arms are pinned.”

AFL Tribunal Guideline section 4.3(E)(3) has been amended: The Player being tackled is in a vulnerable position (i.e. arm(s) pinned) with little opportunity to protect himself.

So any type of tackle deemed dangerous can lead to suspension. Worps is having second bye folks. More exposure to middle for Jai.

lordbob

Team Captain
Aug 21, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
AFL Tribunal Guideline section 4.2(B) has been amended: “Any dangerous tackle” to replace references to “spear tackle” and “driving an opponent into the ground when his arms are pinned.”

AFL Tribunal Guideline section 4.3(E)(3) has been amended: The Player being tackled is in a vulnerable position (i.e. arm(s) pinned) with little opportunity to protect himself.

So any type of tackle deemed dangerous can lead to suspension. Worps is having second bye folks. More exposure to middle for Jai.
" Based on the available evidence, the incident was assessed as Careless Contact, Medium Impact, High Contact. The incident was classified as a one-match sanction as a first offence. The player can accept a one- match sanction with an early plea. "
Lets dig a little deeper into the rules:
a) Conduct - is it careless?

- " In order to constitute such a breach of that duty of care, the conduct must be such that a reasonable Player would not regard it as prudent in all the circumstances. "

If a reasonable player is tackling another player and only has hold of them by the wrist whilst falling back, is it "prudent" that a reasonable player would simply let go of the tackle? or would a reasonable player hold on as long as possible to keep hold of the tackle? Show me a player who would "choose" to let go of the arm in that situation and ill show you someone who isnt a reasonable player.

4.3(E)(3) - 3. Rough Conduct (Dangerous Tackles)The application of a tackle may be considered Rough Conduct which is unreasonable in the circumstances. In determining whether the application of a tackle constitutes a Reportable Offence and whether the offence is Careless or Intentional, without limitation, regard may be had to the following factors, whether:
»The tackle consists of more than one action, regardless of whether the Player being tackled is in possession of the ball;
Not more than 1 action
»The tackle is of an inherently dangerous kind, such as a spear tackle or a tackle where a Player is lifted off the ground;
Not a spear tackle nor is the player lifted off the ground or swung.
»The Player being tackled is in a vulnerable position (e.g. arm(s) pinned) with little opportunity to protect himself;
No arms are "pinned" but 1 wrist is held. "
Pinned - hold (someone) firmly in a specified position so they are unable to move.
He can bend his elbow and move his arm, only his wrist is pinned. His wrist is held.
he can use his other hand to brace for impact which actually does do.
»An opponent is slung, driven or rotated into the ground with excessive force.
He is rotated into the ground. is the force excessive? That worpel merely pulled him down with him would indicate that it was not excessive but a normal amount of force considering the circumstances.

B&GBlood

Premiership Player
Mar 19, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The problem with modern AFL commentary is that it is the domain of champion footballers without much going on upstairs. Those who have a bit more capacity upstairs go into other industries where they can exploit their wealth and connections to open doors . Or if they stay in football they go into administration or coaching.

Special comments and boundary riding is the lazy last resort for champion ex players who didn’t bother planning for life after footy. The real dregs end up doing gambling commercials like Nathan Brown.

The losers in this are the viewers who have to listen to morons every week. Networks would be better off getting ex coaches into commentary to explain tactics etc. Start with Bucks please (as he also ticks the champion player box for popularity points).
David Parkin Leigh Mathews Blight it has been done before

mustang

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Leeds United
Agree by far the worst , last week
Darcy - Cox is incredible for a player nearly 200cm to be playing wing
3 minutes later
Darcy - Cox is incredible for a player of 201 cms on the wing

Poor kid is growing during the game

His a Essendon player now his been nominated for the Rising Star by the end of the year he will be the next Wayne Carey/Lance Franklin and win the Rising Star the media will pump him up next level.

Timo pez

Senior List
Aug 31, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
What did people make of Phillips' game in this one?
I thought he had one of his better games for the club if not his best.
Yes, agree with that. Not only 2 goals, but his disposal was neat throughout and did the non-negotiables with his contested play.

Timo pez

Senior List
Aug 31, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Very good point about Ceglar so we’ll see if he can back it up. He was played like a a guy playing for his career last night and rightfully so because his career is at a crossroads.
given our lack of depth at the position it's probably not too late for him to string some games together and earn another 1 yr deal

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
What did people make of Phillips' game in this one?
I thought he had one of his better games for the club if not his best.

His effort has been 100% all year and he has had some good games but this game everything worked well for him. He is positioning himself far better to be more involved both in attack and defence.

He is not at Smith's level, but maybe only 2 or 3 players have been over the last 10 years, so he has giant shoes to fill. Im very happy with his season so far.

4th round pick and Pies paying a chunk of his salary for a couple of years... yes please.

burner1

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
hawks
Over the last decade of hawks vs swans clashes if you said the winning team loaded on inside mids, won by pressure/intent, closed down a quicker outside team and got a great run with the umps you’d be 99% talking about Sydney. Tables were turned.

Swans were flat and we were hot after a 10 day break - Clarko has been pinching these type of post bye games for years. Good to see a win and Jai crack in. A response that was needed after the gcs game. Still don’t think we’re developing enough kids but a debate for another thread.

Interesting month of footy ahead.

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This is what I was ranting about in the last thread. I’m so happy for Clarko, now wake up and keep it up.
The standard has been set. Hopefully a lightbulb moment for the squad. It didn’t hurt we got several players back into the team either but you could see there was an intent that was missing in previous weeks. Our only four quarter performance of the year.

Scorpia21

Debutant
Oct 26, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Over the last decade of hawks vs swans clashes if you said the winning team loaded on inside mids, won by pressure/intent, closed down a quicker outside team and got a great run with the umps you’d be 99% talking about Sydney. Tables were turned.

Swans were flat and we were hot after a 10 day break - Clarko has been pinching these type of post bye games for years. Good to see a win and Jai crack in. A response that was needed after the gcs game. Still don’t think we’re developing enough kids but a debate for another thread.

Interesting month of footy ahead.
Uhmm!!!
What didn't you like!

Have you any positives to take out of this game.

Remember, with your 99% of negative outcomes there is some small tinge of optimistic hope you can indulge and see the 0.01% that creates hope in your mind in another after perspective of mentality 👍💪

Back