Autopsy Round 13, 2021: Hawks sink the Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it just me, or does it seem overly coincidental that in the ETH where one of the national papers publish an article on the session free kick tally (with us second bottom) that all of a sudden we get one of the most lopsided umpiring matches I recall is ever being on the god end of?

The differential in this match pretty much brings our tally back to nearly the same as the swans now is! Here’s the ladder from the last round. Similarly port got more than geelong, slightly out both of their ledgers.

I’m not normally a conspiracy theory nut, but found this very coincidental.

Is it just me, or does it seem overly coincidental that in the ETH where one of the national papers publish an article on the session free kick tally (with us second bottom) that all of a sudden we get one of the most lopsided umpiring matches I recall is ever being on the god end of?

The differential in this match pretty much brings our tally back to nearly the same as the swans now is! Here’s the ladder from the last round. Similarly port got more than geelong, slightly out both of their ledgers.

I’m not normally a conspiracy theory nut, but found this very coincidental.

I think Papley just poked Razor Ray and the petty little a-hole went to town on him and his side.

The only reason I can work out it was even mentioned was that the Fox producers told Ralphy to find two potential suspensions to talk about for the sake of it. So he got the one from the swans bloke against Day and this was the next best thing he could find.

Ralphy even said at half time JOM was in strife for something, they played the wrong footage and he said he’d come back to it post game. Come post game, the JOM one was nowhere to be mentioned and he moved his attention to Worpel.
I reckon the JOM one he’s referring to was when he got down low and he collided with Hayward who got sent off for a concussion assessment. The reason they never came back about it was because both players had eyes on the ball with both feet on the ground. Nothing will come from that one which is why you’d think they dug up the Worpel one. Let’s just wait and see if the trial by media happens.

So I have decided, Collingwood can have clarko, but they have to give us the number 1 (not 1st rounder, number 1) draft pick every year for 5 years, however they trade to do so, and then clarko quits and comes back to Hawthorn the following year anyway. Trend Croad V2.0

I reckon the JOM one he’s referring to was when he got down low and he collided with Hayward who got sent off for a concussion assessment. The reason they never came back about it was because both players had eyes on the ball with both feet on the ground. Nothing will come from that one which is why you’d think they dug up the Worpel one. Let’s just wait and see if the trial by media happens.
JOM missed Hayward’s head, got him on the shoulder. It was Hayward hitting Morris that caused the damage.

One other thing I noticed last night was that our handshaking was a lot better. Very few going to feet/ground. Helped us move the ball a lot more efficiently. Jai was so good with his hands.

I think Papley just poked Razor Ray and the petty little a-hole went to town on him and his side.
I would like to know what the free kick count was after Papley's dummy spit. At least one for abuse! And also a few more not paid like the out on the full.

One other thing I noticed last night was that our handshaking was a lot better. Very few going to feet/ground. Helped us move the ball a lot more efficiently. Jai was so good with his hands.
We looked the swans players in the eye before the bounce and gave them a good handshake and they were so impressed they forgot they were there to play football.

Do agree our handballing was a lot better. Allowed us to move the ball quicker through the middle.

Yeah Buckley is by far the best special comments man I have heard. Knows his stuff and is actually articulate unlike the Channel 7 crew.

Not the biggest fan of Lyon in general but agree. He is decent and much better than the others.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Agree. He's awesome and I hope he gets a gig in the media if he's not coming here as an assistant. He'd be such a refreshing change to the dullards currently doing "special" comments.

Another missed opportunity for Davo23 to go to a great win in Sydney.
the pandemic has lot to answer for.

1. The 3 umpires are going to be dropped next week, maybe forever. How you can umpire by the rule book when Sydney‘s playing is beyond me? Just unacceptable.

2. It was just a great, hardworking win, everyone playing their parts. Team is everything.

3. I know the AFL is desperate for Sydney success, but the commentators’ glowing appraisal of every ordinary Sydney player is so boring. Average players like Heaney, Papley, Parker Lloyd and Rampe are huge stars?

4. For those who have criticised Ceglar, he’s a typical Hawthorn ruckman, contests, contests and contests, not pretty but always gets the job done,

5. And Buddy is gone, he’s been the same for 3 - 4 years, but every time he gets near the ball, he’s a superstar for the commentators. Buddy (deep breath) you were exciting to watch 10 years ago, but you were gifted a couple of premierships in 2008 & 2013, in which you were invisible ; then you choked in 2012 when you could have won us another premiership. Good luck spending your hard earned millions, you vapid featherbrain (exhale).

Long may Clarko keep doing the business.

Luke Hodge is a true champion of our club but having him all with all of the above commentating epitomises “jobs for the boys” Basically unlistenable IMO, all vanilla, all adding generic obvious comments. Agree on Buckley, absolute pro, highly intelligent and speaks well, of the few ex champs who deserves a job in the media

Love Hodgey, but he not well spoken at all. I always thought he would get into coaching and Mitchell would become a polished commentator/special comments guy.

Both Mitchell and Bucks would be awesome to listen to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another missed opportunity for Davo23 to go to a great win in Sydney.
the pandemic has lot to answer for.

1. The 3 umpires are going to be dropped next week, maybe forever. How you can umpire by the rule book when Sydney‘s playing is beyond me? Just unacceptable.

2. It was just a great, hardworking win, everyone playing their parts. Team is everything.

3. I know the AFL is desperate for Sydney success, but the commentators’ glowing appraisal of every ordinary Sydney player is so boring. Average players like Heaney, Papley, Parker Lloyd and Rampe are huge stars?

4. For those who have criticised Ceglar, he’s a typical Hawthorn ruckman, contests, contests and contests, not pretty but always gets the job done,

5. And Buddy is gone, he’s been the same for 3 - 4 years, but every time he gets near the ball, he’s a superstar for the commentators. Buddy (deep breath) you were exciting to watch 10 years ago, but you were gifted a couple of premierships in 2008 & 2013, in which you were invisible ; then you choked in 2012 when you could have won us another premiership. Good luck spending your hard earned millions, you vapid featherbrain (exhale).

Long may Clarko keep doing the business.

Point 5 is a terrible take.

I actually think the reason they didn't show it was because the replay shows the head collision was with Morris and thats why he went of for the blood rule shortly afterwards.

Just looking through HFC instagram stories.

Will Day's pre-game predictions - "CJ is up & about tonight" and "Moorey is a chance for a couple of goals".

This guy is so good, he can to see into the future.
I'd really think we could do a lot worse than make him the next captain. Or at least Jaeger's vice captain

Unpopular opinion and I know what people think of him but is Razor Ray the best umpire in the comp? Clear with his decisions and explanations.

Sydney board complaining about the umpiring and maybe we did get the run of the green although I just thought it was well officiated.

Doesn't help when Carey can't contain his hate for the Hawks and calls out every decisions that didn't go the Swans way.

I think he is fine. The dark haired one had a shocker - some of those holding the ball decisions were like touch football. Players were free to dispose of the ball and the tackler had barely touched them. Odd.

Kissed on the todger all night by the umps. Enjoy your win.

Probably similar to you guys last year when you were gifted an 8-1 second half free kick tally (23-13 for the game), we got the rub and took advantage.

Its rare we get a run like that, so I gotta say, I enjoyed it immensely.

Take the umpires out though, we still win. We were better over the whole night, and if you can't agree, then so be it.

What I loved about this is that Bud made a line for CJ and gave him a big shove before the first bounce. 5 minutes later CJ dumped him for a holding the ball. Said a lot about the kid. He lacks no confidence
I'd have quite a bit of confidence if I was built like that. Also his post game interview showed an intelligent young man - put him together with Day and Scrimshaw and I say giddy up

Last edited:
5. And Buddy is gone, he’s been the same for 3 - 4 years, but every time he gets near the ball, he’s a superstar for the commentators. Buddy (deep breath) you were exciting to watch 10 years ago, but you were gifted a couple of premierships in 2008 & 2013, in which you were invisible ; then you choked in 2012 when you could have won us another premiership. Good luck spending your hard earned millions, you vapid featherbrain

Haha what a terrible take. You sound like a 15 year old lashing out at a girl who turned him down.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

That is our best performance for probably 2-3yrs. It was a 4qtr effort, we took everything Sydney had to throw at us and hit them back twice as hard. There were times where they were on top, but we never allowed them to get a real run on. Yet when we had a run on, we made it count. Our pressure was superb, our forwards lead at the footy, our midfield both pressured and sat off to reduce the space and our defence held strong.

To many to name in our best. No one deserves to be dropped.

Overall, good game across the board.

I get sucked into talking sh*t about Razor, but he really isn't the worst umpire - may well be the best. He just puts himself in the limelight for longer when the supporters hate him the most, even if it's for the right reasons. Players and supporters don't want a confident explanation of the free kick if they already think they're right or feel hard done by. The fact he takes his time explaining just makes people hate him more.

I know a few guys who've met him and they reckon he's a genuinely good guy.

Met him a few times. Nice bloke.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back