Autopsy Round 13, 2021: St.Kilda v Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey guys, not here to rock the boat, but I have noticed in recent times that there does seem to be a severe lack of playing for each other and doing all the little things within a game that really galvanizes the team as a whole.

I felt you had that last year at times, but it really seems to have dropped off this year. Have thought for a while, that perhaps the lack of continuity that comes from having so many different players from so many different clubs try to all fit in, in such a short amount of time.

From what I can see, right now you have all of these players on your list from other clubs:

Wood
B. Hill
Steele
Howard
J. Higgins
Membrey
Ryder
B. Crouch
Butler
Hanneberry
Frawley
Carlisle
Kent
McKernan
Z. Jones

Compare that to someone like us - who regularly gets touted as a team who 'tops up' with 9 (and that includes Jenkins who is just there as a break glass in case of emergency), and it seems that the club has gone too far the other way when it comes to development versus recruitment. It seems very tough to develop that sort of cohesion, when the system itself is being created by alot of these inclusions - rather than players just slotting in.

You currently have your best player as a GWS draftee, and three of your other gun midfielders are an Adelaide draftee and two Sydney draftees. Your two small forwards are both Richmond draftees, and half your backline is made up of draftees from various clubs. Even one half of your gun ruck duo is a former Port/Bombers player.

Just some food for thought as to the current state of affairs and general malaise shown throughout the group at times. I would think that Saints draftees watching the club bring in all of Hanneberry, Crouch, Hill, Howard, Ryder, Jones, Higgins, Butler, Carlisle etc. and them taking up a fair portion of the salary cap, probably does grate a bit on internal players like Gresham, Clark, Coffield, Bytel, Wilkie, Sinclair, Dunstan, Billings, Battle, Ross, Highmore etc. to varying degrees, given the cap space taken up by these newcomers, and also their positions on field/game time/spots in the side.

Could be way off base, but just some thoughts I've had watching the change in attitude/effort/skills, as compared to last year.

Apologies if unwelcome and mods can delete.

D
Bit like Richmond in 2016.

Coaches deserve time.

What we do need though are quality assistants around Ratten.

Richmond were able to do that for Hardwick. Look how different Melbourne are now they've brought in Yze and Choco.

You get nowhere sacking your head coach every couple of years.
ont agree. Hardwick is the exception to the rule. And Goodwin bought himself credits. Ratts had his choice of his assistants.

Hey guys, not here to rock the boat, but I have noticed in recent times that there does seem to be a severe lack of playing for each other and doing all the little things within a game that really galvanizes the team as a whole.

I felt you had that last year at times, but it really seems to have dropped off this year. Have thought for a while, that perhaps the lack of continuity that comes from having so many different players from so many different clubs try to all fit in, in such a short amount of time.

From what I can remember, right now you have all of these players on your list from other clubs:

Wood
B. Hill
Steele
Howard
J. Higgins
Membrey
Ryder
B. Crouch
Butler
Hanneberry
Frawley
Carlisle
Kent
McKernan
Z. Jones

Compare that to someone like us - who regularly gets touted as a team who 'tops up' with 9 (and that includes Jenkins who is just there as a break glass in case of emergency), and it seems that the club has gone too far the other way when it comes to development versus recruitment. It seems very tough to develop that sort of cohesion, when the system itself is being created by alot of these inclusions - rather than players just slotting in.

You currently have your best player as a GWS draftee, and three of your other gun midfielders are an Adelaide draftee and two Sydney draftees. Your two small forwards are both Richmond draftees, and half your backline is made up of draftees from various clubs. Even one half of your gun ruck duo is a former Port/Bombers player.

Just some food for thought as to the current state of affairs and general malaise shown throughout the group at times. I would think that Saints draftees watching the club bring in all of Hanneberry, Crouch, Hill, Howard, Ryder, Jones, Higgins, Butler, Carlisle etc. and them taking up a fair portion of the salary cap, probably does grate a bit on internal players like Gresham, Clark, Coffield, Bytel, Wilkie, Sinclair, Dunstan, Billings, Battle, Ross, Highmore etc. to varying degrees, given the cap space taken up by these newcomers, and also their positions on field/game time/spots in the side.

Could be way off base, but just some thoughts I've had watching the change in attitude/effort/skills, as compared to last year.

Apologies if unwelcome and mods can delete.
No, you’re spot on. Everyone can see it.

1 - putrid game but why forward. Not a forwards butt crack
5 - disposal was almost worse than dunstan’s. Tried hard but wasn’t good enough to
7 - battled hard. Did some good things. Was far from our worst.
8 - he was actually quite good but went missing for the second and third quarters. Ineffectual in the last.
9 - tried hard too but at times let us down with iffy disposal.
11 - was average but did a couple of good things before getting injured.
12 - was solid throughout and played pretty well. Btw that’s the first time we’ve lost a game he kicked multiple goals in.
:(
13 - gave a fair bit but did some dumb s**t and his disposal was abhorrent.
15 - barely sighted and yet finished with 22 disposals. Story of Jack’s life.
16 - tackled hard and chased like always but just didn’t work hard enough. Probably our worst on ground.
18 - was very poor. His worst game for us I reckon.
20 - unlucky a few times. Played a terrific game.
21 - I thought his first half was terrific. He wasn’t the only one to fall away after half time though.
22 - tried hard but really struggling to finish now. Feel for the guy I really do.
23 - pretty much the worse sub we could’ve had. Did very little and hardly even got to a contest let alone to the ball. Three weeks of no footy will do that to you. Bookmarking this and I hope I’m wrong - he will be another bust.
26 - lacklustre game. Just nowhere near it this season.
29 - did some good things and actually played pretty well I thought. Couple of horror moments but really who didn’t?
31 - Our shining light in an otherwise hideously bleak season. Just love him.
32 - Started brilliantly - leading up and getting good opportunities. Then dropped off like everyone.
34 - excellent game. Bog for us. We generated some much run from his intercept possessions.
35 - terrific first half and then dropped away (sensing a pattern here)
41 - sooooooo slow. gringo2011 i reckon he’s the real glacier on the team. ;) big lumbering ox who may well have just played his last game for the club.
44 - terrific game to hold Tex to just one goal and frustrate him on many occasions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I liked what Mason Wood brought tonight.

And I thought Hill was good too - him and Sinclair have become a very good duo off half back. When we get the ball too then, we are a different team.
Agree on both counts.

Sorry no . Just no . Remember Karmichael Hunt doing his ONLY ever good thing In the AFL to Richmond in Cairns .... fk Cairns !

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Ha. I forgot that was also in Cairns.

checkmate.

Please tell me there's heat on Ratts now. Or that we're going to do a Carlton-style football department review. This season has been a disgrace on so many levels. I hate to think nothing will change going into 2022.

Our fitness and conditioning clearly isn't good enough, we're overloaded with injuries, we had 4 blowout losses in a 10 week period and have let how many games slip away due to poor kicking?! Also I think our recruitment and player development needs to be questioned.

If you don't want to put Ratts in the firing line, that's fine. But the club needs a top to bottom clean out. There is so much more wrong here than just "we have injuries", "we're not giving 100% effort" or "the players aren't kicking it to Brad Hill".
Heat on ratts...

Here's the beauty of it. Hes contracted next year and we cant afford to pay him out.

How about for once we start looking at the guys who've been around for 2 friggin rebuilds who are completely untouchable it seems.

How many shots are they gonna get overseeing list management and coaching...

Might as well just pencil them in for rebuilds 3 and 4.

29 - did some good things and actually played pretty well I thought. Couple of horror moments but really who didn’t?
Overall, Jimmy has had a pretty good season.

Amazing to think that all pre season there was questions marks on whether he would play again,. But he has showed that he still has a lot to offer. And I'd like to see him play with Paton which would unleash Webster a bit more to be attacking rather than him being our only competent small defender most weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back