Autopsy Round 13, 2021: St.Kilda v Adelaide

Seb wasnt on the field when he made the call was he.

It is the real world, it is a workplace, they do have standards, clearly in this instance the club agreed with and allowed him to go.

Because they play footy they shouldnt be allowed to look after family? Why not just ban them from having family? Rules out this sort of thing altogether.

They have a CBA, a union and managers specifically for this kind of thing.

You could say don't play footy if it doesn't fit with your lifestyle also. It's matter of perspective.

You could. Wouldn’t land very well in modern society.

Being bottom 4 in AFL doesn't land well in modern footy. I really don't care what they do as long as they improve quickly and have high standards implemented across all areas of the club. If the current guys can't do it move them on and find someone who will.

At the moment they are under scrutiny because we have plummeted down the ladder straight after our most promising year in a decade. If they are winning finals no-one will judge the irrelevant issues.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Being bottom 4 in AFL doesn't land well in modern footy. I really don't care what they do as long as they improve quickly and have high standards implemented across all areas of the club. If the current guys can't do it move them on and find someone who will.

At the moment they are under scrutiny because we have plummeted down the ladder straight after our most promising year in a decade. If they are winning finals no-one will judge the irrelevant issues.
This isn’t an irrelevant issue, winning or losing. Men being able to take compassionate leave for their families well being is far more important than a nothing game in Cairns in July. I’m glad to support a club that stands for that and I’m also glad to live in a time where people saying they take issue with it get called out for it.

This isn’t an irrelevant issue, winning or losing. Men being able to take compassionate leave for their families well being is far more important than a nothing game in Cairns in July. I’m glad to support a club that stands for that and I’m also glad to live in a time where people saying they take issue with it get called out for it.

Yep, I'm old and out of touch. I still want to win games of footy.

Aug 13, 2016
South Gippsland
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yep, I'm old and out of touch. I still want to win games of footy.
So do I mate, but not at the expense of a wife and mother’s mental health.
We were 6 goals up.
Plenty of reasons why we lost but Seb and Tim going home to their families is not one of them. I’m comfortable with the clubs decision.

I blame the receptionist
We effectively put our internal debate into the media.

that’s what wasn’t needed and that was confirmed when Finnis said those conversations took place.

If you think that’s not an issue. No worries.
I think that’s senior management 101 and the best senior managers focus on managing below and never above them or putting their dirty laundry in the media.

On V2023 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Well in reality if Caro got wind of this from the club then it wouldnt really make a different, she still would have run the story.

Bottom line her angle and presentation on this is awful and shes been rightly called out on it.
I asked before but didn't get an answer. Why is the story that two players left to be with their family even a story to begin with? Why are people defending the notion that people should choose their job over their family? Gerard said it best on radio today, I thought we as an industry were past that. Some of these views are so out of touch it's not even funny.

But if we'd won and were still in the hunt the pressure would have been off for another week. Seb might have been struggling but it looked a lot like Ratts was beyond normal levels of distress after that loss. It sounds great to just have a show up when you feel like it approach but it's going to need to be regulated or it will just fall into an undisciplined mess like when we let them manage their own fitness routine in the preseason.
Probably looked that way for Ratts because we'd just let a 36 point lead slip. We should've won even without those two in the side.

PostmanBish

Club Legend
Sep 6, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
The wrong person being removed from any high performing business could cause poor outcomes, does that mean we should just scrap compassionate leave altogether.

Don't give my employer ideas ... with staffing as it is, taking annual leave is a soul-searching exercise, T.O.I.L. a guilt-trip, Long Service a fantasy, Sick/Compassionate/Carer leave gets second/third/fourth thoughts, on a good day ... yeesh.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Don't give my employer ideas ... with staffing as it is, taking annual leave is a soul-searching exercise, T.O.I.L. a guilt-trip, Long Service a fantasy, Sick/Compassionate/Carer leave gets second/third/fourth thoughts, on a good day ... yeesh.
Mow lawns. I have carer leave every week. I have drinking leave every Friday. Sick leave is an issue though.

AirWinmar

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Tom Morris now supporting the claims.

Speaking on Fox Sports News on Tuesday night, however, foxfooty.com.au senior reporter Tom Morris revealed that, “putting aside opinion”, part of Wilson’s comments were on the mark.

“Putting aside opinion for one moment, there is absolutely a level of frustration at St Kilda around Seb Ross in particular coming home and not playing against the Adelaide Crows on the weekend,” he told AFL Tonight.

“I’m not sure it exists for Tim Membrey, or certainly not as much, but Caro was right in saying some senior figures at the Saints would’ve preferred Seb Ross to stay and let that be known to him before he did depart.

“It’s not something the Saints are going to die on a hill over, I don’t think it’s going to affect Seb Ross too much moving forward, he’s out of contract at the end of the year, but she is right that senior officials at the Saints would’ve preferred Seb Ross to play against the Crows.”
Who would have thought Senior Officials wants our players in the 1sts to be available to play football games?? Is Tom Morris a flamingo?

Back