Autopsy Round 13, 2021: St.Kilda v Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Just goes from bad to worse, poor kid.

Ah, just saw Brut got in first. Bad enough news to post twice šŸ˜¢

Hunter Clark out for 6-8 weeks. Had surgery today to repair multiple jaw fractures.

Disappointing news but our season is cooked anyway so one more injured player isn't going to make a huge difference.

Disappointing news but our season is cooked anyway so one more injured player isn't going to make a huge difference.

Iā€™m devastated for Hunter coz heā€™s my favourite player but I tend to agree. Injuries now and losses now donā€™t mean much. We wonā€™t amount to s**t this year. Bottom six and a top six draft pick and cushy fixture next year. Hopefully we have a better season.

Tough for Battle as I believe his best position is CHB. Already showed how well he can play there. But we are obviously trying to keep the back 6/7 blokes as settled as possible and he isn't part of that group so has been tried at wing, foward, ruck etc. And regardless of who it is, being played out of position isn't going to work generally. So unless he gets another chance to play that full time key position back again I doubt we'll see his best again, so we may as well trade him.

Coffield for me is purely a huge lack of confidence. He's in his own head and overthinking everything. I remember his first few years he would take players on and go for the 40-50 metre high risk passes. Sometimes he got caught and sometimes he'd miss the kick but when it came off it was beautiful. That was his natural game and he would have matured into a gun with some slightly better decision making and risk assessment had he continued on that upward trend but it seems all that youthful exuberance has been coached out of him to now be a shell of his former self.

A bit like Long in that case. He's clearly been reigned in and its shattered his confidence. Obviously we don't want him doing suspendable acts but he's a player that play his best on the edge and gives us that toughness we lack.
Last night Longy started well and its almost like he was told to pull his head in at some point (he was throwing his weight around a bit) and that just made him nervous and that's when he started making simple mistakes.

All 3 of these players had so much potential but they are now just shadows of their best. I could make a similar point about a lot of our players but these guys are the biggest examples of how devoid our team is of confidence and the ability to play their natural games.

Listening to players from Richmond speak, the one thing they always go on about is being backed to play their natural game and put in the positions to flourish with those natural strengths. We seem to do the opposite to our players. Just dumfounding really.
How to get confidence? start to get the whole team to be able to execute simple skills of the game like kicking to leads, leading patterns, handball under pressure and stop giving hot potatoes to flat footed players..

When each possession is executed with precision, receiving players have enough time to compose themselves, assess the situation on the next move, then execute it well..

The way we play at the moment, we can hardly keep the ball, just bombing the ball down the line.. so players are constantly tackling chasing, this creates fatigue and as a result simple skills looks hard and poorly executed, it becomes a vicious circle..

Richo came up with this labourious game style because he thinks we donā€™t have good kicks, so he made the whole team into bad kicks and nervous wrecks because every kick is rushed/players have no time/fatigued.. young players drafted with good skills now canā€™y execute a basic kick/handball. what a genius!!! Ratten basically just continued Richoā€™s legacy...

Last edited:
How to get confidence? start to get the whole team to be able to execute simple skills of the game like kicking to leads, leading patterns, handball under pressure and stop giving hot potatoes to flat footed players..

When each possession is executed with precision, receiving players have enough time to compose themselves, assess the situation on the next move, then execute it well..

The way we play at the moment, we can hardly keep the ball, just bombing the ball down the line.. so players are constantly tackling chasing, this creates fatigue and as a result simple skills looks hard and poorly executed, it becomes a vicious circle..

Richo came up with this labourious game style because he thinks we donā€™t have good kicks, so he made the whole team into bad kicks and nervous wrecks because every kick is rushed/players have no time/fatigued.. young players drafted with good skills now canā€™y execute a basic kick/handball. what a genius!!! Ratten basically just continued Richoā€™s legacy...
I donā€™t believe that would make skills worse. You are a good kick or a bad kick. Game plans donā€™t change that.

As bummed as I am about Hunter Clark, I saw enough in that first quarter to remind me how much of a gun he is. Went hard as and looked amazing. He will come back better than he's been this year.

Godspeed kid.

Surely, we cannot have such an injury-disrupted year next year?
šŸ¤žšŸ¼šŸ¤žšŸ¼šŸ¤žšŸ¼
I know weā€™ve been extremely poor, but pretty much on a hiding to nothing right from the start injury-wise and with Paddy away.

lets hope Michael Christian remembers our joha Browne hit ?? on that little Essendon guy
got 6 wks , the guy played the following wk

look at first part of vision and the adelaide guy came from about 80 mtrs
deserves at least the same

Iā€™m devastated for Hunter coz heā€™s my favourite player but I tend to agree. Injuries now and losses now donā€™t mean much. We wonā€™t amount to sh*t this year. Bottom six and a top six draft pick and cushy fixture next year. Hopefully we have a better season.

Actually better if his groins were a bit suspect. This year is done anyway. Rest him up for a big 2022.

I like Ratts but if he is speaking to the group like that during the games god help us , most of you took pot shots at Richo , im not sure this bloke is any better
Complete opposite to the coherent Intelligent persuasive Hardwick we saw in recent documentary.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he is fine late in the year then should play.

If he was half fit they would have been playing him. Didn't work out well with Luke Ball long term.

If he is fine late in the year then should play.
If he us fully fit he should play. But if heā€™s a bit proppy or struggling he shouldnā€™t.

Exactly but you donā€™t use the excuse that the season is shot so donā€™t play him.
Didnā€™t Gringo say his groin was suspect? I canā€™t see him playing again if he has groin issues.

Unless itā€™s really bad his groin should be fine after a few weeks. I donā€™t think there is any mention of op
Well good. The last thing we need to do is * his career up by mismanaging him.

Anyway Iā€™m sure heā€™ll pick up where he left off in 2022/late 2021

Last edited:
Saw below and had to agree

Google Adam Skrobalak. Or look him up on the Saints App.
NEVER played elite AFL, just 'a decorated amateur footy career'. 'Amateur'
:oops:
:roll:

He coached about 4 lower grade teams, and now he's paid the big bucks to be (drum roll)
Senior Assistant Coach- Midfield and Contest.
OMG.
Our midfield n contest is bloody horrible (in the games that we lose)

WHY NOT REPLACE THIS NOBODY with somebody who spent years at a successful club, in the midfield. Matt Priddis from WCE. Sam Mitchell. Anyone who has played mid, and now is an assistant at Swans, Hawks, Tigers, Cats, NOT someone who played really well at AMATEUR LEVEL.

I am not demeaning a Saints official, I am asking a valid question about THE CLUB'S DECISION in the same way a lot of us are asking why the club threw a truckload of money at a worn-out mid.

I seriously question the justification.

Pies grabbed Harves to be their mids coach.
Other clubs get former stars or A-graders who actually played in reasonably successful teams.

If our club was Cricket Australia, we'd get a new batting coach who won an indoor cricket premiership in the Murray-Ovens Indoor Cricket and Lawn Bowls League.

Spare me.

Iā€™ve had mates coached by him at Port Melbourne back in the day or maybe it was at the Oakleigh Chargers. Apparently he was awful

Remove this Banner Ad

Back