Autopsy Round 13, 2021: St.Kilda v Adelaide

Well I couldn’t disagree more but it doesn’t matter what we think. The umpire agreed with me

As you keep saying, damn hard game for the ump to see everything. Looking at the video vision, because you cannot judge by a still photo, you can clearly see he came in very fast and hard, arrived a split second late, but when turning to protect himself, got Hunter in the head.
It’s very unfortunate for him, there was no malice intended I believe, but duty of care when you bump rather than tackle must come into it.

Anyone surprised Tex's hit on Wilkie wasn't looked at? Was no accident.

He was fined. Can’t remember how much.

Edit : posted the AFL reports sheet some pages back about the Clark/McKay report and also Walker on Wilkie.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds united, Chicago Bulls
Once his confidence comes back, he will be insanely special. We saw glimpses of it last year, but he has a few more gears to go up yet.
I was thrilled landing him in his draft year. So I’m definitely on the Coffield train.

stfan

The Fan in Waiting
Mar 12, 2008
Melb
AFL Club
St Kilda
It’s not based on intent.

it’s the action and the wide angle shows just how far back he comes from whilst the ball runs away from him.

he doesn’t slow down, he doesn’t tackle. He makes contact with Clark’s body. That is dangerous and from that far back the duty in care should 1000000000% be on Mackay to not cause serious injury

And he jumped off the ground to make contact.

You do all of that with forceful impact the head, and it should be weeks every time.

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
Okay, I’ll pretend with you.
Who in the bottom 8 is giving me a first rounder for Coffield?
Don't think I suggested anybody would give us a first rounder for Coffield. In my opinion using Pick 8 on a pure hbf is an overspend.

Get a competent chb and one of Coff or Highmore is redundant and will be playing at Sandy.

As you keep saying, damn hard game for the ump to see everything. Looking at the video vision, because you cannot judge by a still photo, you can clearly see he came in very fast and hard, arrived a split second late, but when turning to protect himself, got Hunter in the head.
It’s very unfortunate for him, there was no malice intended I believe, but duty of care when you bump rather than tackle must come into it.
Have watched the vision a few times now the last few I couldn’t help noticing Billing’s just jogging around 5 meters off everything in the background with little effort being put in

Circus

Wise Veteran
Apr 19, 2012
Smithton
AFL Club
St Kilda
He has a broken jaw. Why wouldn’t he? It’s emotive though. Doubt we will ever stop 2 players going for ball. Well we can certainly hope not.
I hope a broken jaw is all he has wrong. And I hope it doesn't destroy his love of the game. The nephew of a close friend of mine had a not dissimilar injury and didn't recover for years later. Initially fairly standard broken facial bones but the brain related issues emerged over the next few weeks. Never played again of course.

And please don't mistake anything I'm saying as being based on an emotional reaction, as if that weakens any point I have made. My views are based on the incident that happened and why Hocking and Michael Christian have acted as they have and why the outcome, whatever you think of the incident itself, will result in rule changes. It is simply how the sport is evolving and why. Some will claim the new rules will dramatically change the game, others will say its an inexorable step on journey to trying to make a high contact/collision game even safer. Some will scream, some will welcome it. I say to not do it is negligent. And that is exactly why its going to happen.

Mar 14, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds united, Chicago Bulls
Don't think I suggested anybody would give us a first rounder for Coffield. In my opinion using Pick 8 on a pure hbf is an overspend.

Get a competent chb and one of Coff or Highmore is redundant and will be playing at Sandy.
Hawthorn spent pick 1 on a half back.
GWS have spent pick 1 on a half back.

How have they gone?

and if we aren’t getting a first rounder. I’d rather keep him for depth in your hypothetical

KingsRansom

Club Legend
Aug 23, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda

I see coffield playing the same QB role that Goddard used to play, but with a more attacking flair. He will be a very unique footy player, his next problem will be overcoming a tag, I reckon he will be that good.

A lot forgetting how good he was last year at 19 years old

After starting slowly he ended top 5 in the whole comp for intercept marks, intercepts and top 10 in marks from memory. Was AA quality by the end of last year. Someone suggested he got a bit floggish along with Butler and Long in the off season. Perhaps he got pulled into line a bit too hard.

Xxxx66

All Australian
Jul 14, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Trading out a pick 8 20 year old to get a good draft pick doesn’t make much sense to me . Highmore has played 4 games and one good one and we should get rid of Coff
Small sample size, but would like to get a bit more confident in Highmore's disposal. On a positive note his DE in the SANFL was around 80%. Just think great foot skills should be an imperative.

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
Hawthorn spent pick 1 on a half back.
GWS have spent pick 1 on a half back.

How have they gone?

and if we aren’t getting a first rounder. I’d rather keep him for depth in your hypothetical
Well see there's the problem.

If Coff was playing in the two's because another player is playing his role better, where's our return on investment?

Its would be stupid to hold onto any player simply because of the position they were selected in the draft.

People shouldn't get their knickers in a knot over this, its simply a hypothetical based on what I thought was a great game by Highmore and what that could mean for team structure going forward.

Where else can either of them play? Who do you leave out if you want to play both?

Like I said - find a decent chb to go alongside Howard and you simply can't then play Wilkie, Coffield and Highmore in the same backline.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
I hope a broken jaw is all he has wrong. And I hope it doesn't destroy his love of the game. The nephew of a close friend of mine had a not dissimilar injury and didn't recover for years later. Initially fairly standard broken facial bones but the brain related issues emerged over the next few weeks. Never played again of course.

And please don't mistake anything I'm saying as being based on an emotional reaction, as if that weakens any point I have made. My views are based on the incident that happened and why Hocking and Michael Christian have acted as they have and why the outcome, whatever you think of the incident itself, will result in rule changes. It is simply how the sport is evolving and why. Some will claim the new rules will dramatically change the game, others will say its an inexorable step on journey to trying to make a high contact/collision game even safer. Some will scream, some will welcome it. I say to not do it is negligent. And that is exactly why its going to happen.
Hocking and christen didn’t act all. They always send something that goes directly to the tribunal with a grading. For the first time there was no grading so thus made no decision and what’s the rule change? 2 players aren’t allowed to go for the ball at the same time?

I certainly did for the one on darcy and didn’t for the one at the end of the year. What’s your point?

Just commenting because I find a man with a compulsively contrarian nature very attractive.

If anyone can download the “Elephant in the Room” segment on Footy Classified right now, it is VERY interesting listening/viewing.

Caro discusses some unhappiness from senior leaders at the club at Ross going home five weeks after his babies were born. There were no medical issues and there is family support at home. Membrey going home and his baby has still not been born. Carlisle missing a final for his baby’s birth. Ryder missing 8 weeks.

They discuss how Membrey and Ross playing would have helped us (not lose) the game and it was huge in the context of now missing finals.

She implied St.Kilda is not being as strong as it should be and, as she put it,
“Is St. Kilda the employer of the year” for what they allow their players.

She says there is some dissatisfaction around all this from inside the club and I don’t think it’s such a stretch actually. Could explain a lot, maybe a slightly fractured playing and coaching group if there are disagreements on how to handle things. ( my thoughts)

Back