Review Round 13, 2021 vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Is that the one when he kicked it so far out of bounds on the full that it actually landed closer to Geelongs goals than ours????
Yes. Then he stood around like a condemned man, kicking the turf and studying his toes, whilst Geelong swept the ball effortlessly end-to-end.

Considering our system is non evident compared to the good teams, I'd say yeah.

This is 2015. all over, panicked changed our working game plan and go to sh*t again.
More 2017 if you ask me. What'd we go, 2-9 against top 8, whilst having a huge percentage from spanking bottom teams.

For me this is 2017 all over again. Only difference is the repeat entry hinkleyball has disappeared, and morphed into an ability to score more, with the problem that we actually also concede more.

Last edited:

Seeing lots of reports of our players looking gassed compared to Geelong, kind of concerning considering they're old as fu** right?
They were running in waves forward of their men in the last. They were outnumbering us when they were attacking and when they were defending. I would love to analyse a tape to understand how it was happening, but it was extremely clear they were running all over us and exploiting our lack of defensive action from contest. We went all out attack it felt, and it felt like that made us dangerous, but it also opened us up ridiculously.

Spot on. As much as we love and respect Boak, Gray etc. the senior players have let us down when it counts time and time again.
Don't get me wrong last year Westhoff & Ebert retiring was two club stalwarts and champions going, which was sad to see, Boak & Robbie Gray are two champions and have given their all for us, and still do, can't fault them there at all.

But you look at Melbourne, the Bulldogs, Geelong & Brisbane we aren't capable of beating them to a flag unless we get a run like the Crows had in 97 or the Dogs had in 2016 and it all falls into place. The chance was last year and in 2014, they're both gone and were squandered. The years 2015-2020 were absolutely wasted, but I've said many times that was the team we were which was a average one and we have to accept that, the past results say that and can't be argued against.

Melbourne & the Dogs have shot past us this year, at a rate of knots as well. I'm not sold on the free agent route to stay in a window to keep up with them, at the moment they're younger and hungrier then we are.

The young core is there I feel with Butters, Duursma, Rozee, Ladhams, Hayes, Jones, Bergman, Marshall, Georgiades, Drew, Burton, DBJ, Williams, Mead, Jase Burgoyne next year and others so the rebuild is halfway there, we need some young key defenders to come through at some point. Ollie is another key part of our future as well with SPP and others in that age bracket.

What we do with Boak, Gray, Dixon, Hartlett and a few others going forward I'm not sure. You obviously can't trade them all, that won't happen but if we don't Jag a flag this year the time maybe to slowly phase them out for youth.

See, this is where our standards have been allowed to slip.

Oh, Jonas made a bunch of spoils and put the ball out of play 33 times for a 50-50 boundary throw in close to Geelong's goal. Fantastic.

And what's happening at the other end? Strong, decisive contest wins. Intercept marks, defenders playing in front, outnumber at the contest.

It's chalk and cheese. Our defence looks great against sh*t teams that don't have good forward lines where their weaknesses are hidden and they can easily win the ball back and show off their attacking flair. But against the big boys, they're found wanting again and again.
As bad as our defenders were, it doesn't help one bit when our mids aren't tracking back to defend their men leaving Geelong players to stroll multiple times into our forward line alone. Mind boggling

As bad as our defenders were, it doesn't help one bit when our mids aren't tracking back to defend their men leaving Geelong players to stroll multiple times into our forward line alone. Mind boggling

Yes, the defensive action starts from our forward line and then through the midfield once that disappears the whole structure goes to s**t.

fu** me I just re-watched part of the last quarter and heard the (I'm pretty sure its Jobe Watson) bit about Lachie Jones. It's so much worse than I thought it was at the time... its just so detailed.

Lachie Jones is a small forward who has finally gotten his chance with Zak Butters out and has kicked his first goal...

How can someone be that stupid and ignorant, its unbelievable. Like why not just say "I don't know a lot about this kid but that's a great goal". He just on the spot invented an entire bullshit backstory. It makes me question everything he says about any player I don't know.
Jobe is an absolute joke of a commentator. Makes BT look like Albert Einstein.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, the defensive action starts from our forward line and then through the midfield once that disappears the whole structure goes to sh*t.
Correct.
Good example, last night Papley chased Chiouth (sic) from forward pocket to deep half back, and earned a HTB against said Hawks player.
Didn't win them the game, of course, but by jingo by crikey, when do you see that pressure and determination by our blokes.

I liked when Motlop took a mark 40m from goal. Only for the umpire to march him back to 45m. Then allow the man on the mark to stand another 3 metres closer.

That was funnily.

that was a farce. I lost my s**t when the defender walked well over the mark, then while Motlop was walking back and the ump was setting the mark the defender then walked over it to shove Motlop..

besides the fact that he's gone well well well over the mark in front of the ump, how is a defender who wasn't in the contest allowed to touch a player who is walking back to take his kick?

you're completely and utterly incorrect and I don't know why you are even here and trying to accomplish?
No worries mate. Just gotta call out hypocritical comments. Biased nuffie supporters if you will. Keep telling yourselves how pissed off you all are with Richmond grabbing Lynch and Geelong grabbing Cameron all within the rules mind you. All while having no issue with your own mob grabbing Dixon. Paying a premium means little, didn't Geelong give up 2 1st rounders? Take your goggles off ffs.

Aliir has been a great and an inexpensive get for us this year. But it’s fair to say he didn’t have a great game last night. Wasn’t the worst, but definitely not in the best.
Allie wasn’t too bad , everyone knows he’s not the greatest one v one and he’s better floating around hunting incoming balls .
At least he plays in front when 1 v 1

Geelong beat us fair and square. I certainly expected that. I still think there was a some improvement that will take time to really stick. Butters was our best player. Duursma an aerobic beast who was consistent for the whole match. SPP is just starting to play a little better.

Not sure if we will be back to our best at the end of the year but all is not lost. Nothing in that loss that changed my view. I still think we can play better. Just need to start working harder for longer. Belt a few lowly teams to improve our percentage and string some wins together...

Geelong beat us fair and square. I certainly expected that. I still think there was a some improvement that will take time to really stick. Butters was our best player. Duursma an aerobic beast who was consistent for the whole match. SPP is just starting to play a little better.

Not sure if we will be back to our best at the end of the year but all is not lost. Nothing in that loss that changed my view. I still think we can play better. Just need to start working harder for longer. Belt a few lowly teams to improve our percentage and string some wins together...
Spot on mate, this is what i've been saying the whole time. We need to start working harder for longery.

No worries mate. Just gotta call out hypocritical comments. Biased nuffie supporters if you will. Keep telling yourselves how pissed off you all are with Richmond grabbing Lynch and Geelong grabbing Cameron all within the rules mind you. All while having no issue with your own mob grabbing Dixon. Paying a premium means little, didn't Geelong give up 2 1st rounders? Take your goggles off ffs.

You quoted a poster having a crack at recent premiership Vic sides being able to lure star key forwards to their team and asked what about Dixon.

Port were not a recent premiership side, Dixon wasn’t a star kf (his best season ever was what? 30 goals?), we aren’t Victorian, nor was Dixon a local player we lured back, and as you’ve been told many times but refuse to believe Gold Coast wanted Dixon out after his recent suspension for breaking team rules. It’s not even a subjective rumour it was open fact.

You’ve been told all of this and continue to act like a ******* entitled prick demanding that we forgo reality and bend to your opinion cause you think you’ve cleverly picked up someone’s error when in reality you’ve made a dumb mistake.

* off

I mean let’s actually ******* take a lot at it shall we.

So the poster you called a “nuffie” had a crack at recent premiership sides being able to nab star kfs from expan sides .. a post you quoted and retorted with Dixon and have since insisted is the same thing

Recent premiership

Port - nope
Tigers - yes
Geelong - yes

Star key forward

Yes - lynch -- 1 66 goal season and total of 4 seasons over 40 goals. 264 career goals

Yes - Cameron - 1 76 goal season and total of 6 seasons over 40 goals. 427 career goals

No - Dixon - 1 41 goal season. Total of 1 40 goal seasons. 94 Career goals.

I mean let’s actually ******* take a lot at it shall we.

So the poster you called a “nuffie” had a crack at recent premiership sides being able to nab star kfs from expan sides .. a post you quoted and retorted with Dixon and have since insisted is the same thing

Recent premiership

Port - nope
Tigers - yes
Geelong - yes

Star key forward

Yes - lynch -- 1 66 goal season and total of 4 seasons over 40 goals. 264 career goals

Yes - Cameron - 1 76 goal season and total of 6 seasons over 40 goals. 427 career goals

No - Dixon - 1 41 goal season. Total of 1 40 goal seasons. 94 Career goals.

Geelongs recent flag was 10 years ago nuff nuff. Jog on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back