Review Round 13, 2021 vs Geelong

Were we really injured that night though? Yeah, we were $6 odds to win but the Gray's had a purple patch with Ryder having 40 HOs.

For some reason we allow teams to come to AO every single year and resurrect their seasons.

We exist to restore other team's top 4 hopes.

The first game. We were underdogs for that too, and blew them away with that huge first quarter.

Sep 18, 2011
here
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea / Ferrari F1

JohnHinckleyJr

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 1, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls Man Utd
In reality we are 4 goals below the top 4 teams. 5-8 at best this year. What set us apart last year was our forward line pressure and our ability to lock it in. With the combination of a drop off there and the man on the mark rule, we have been shown up.
Butters n X adds another 2/3 goals

May 9, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
What absolutely shits me is we had them on toast, up 9 points, had kicked the last three, the crowd was into it, they had all the covid bullshit to deal with then we proceed to allow a period of footy that applied no pressure what so ever, no manning up, no leadership on the ground and they kick what 3 goals in 4 kicks or something stupid, and bang on 5 really quickly and kill us off.

I know they're a very good football side, but that was the moment where all my optimism for 2021 vanished and the fact hit me that we have achieved all we can with Hinkley & the senior group. We need a reset and I'm sold on it now. How we get to our next Premiership I'm unsure but the young nucleus is there to build with.

Jul 7, 2007
Ziggurat City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
LUFC, Patriots
I don’t know what people think “depth” is, but I can tell you what it’s not.

It’s not losing your best ruck (Lycett), second best key defender (Clurey), most damaging player (Butters), best two way runner (Duursma), a guy who can create something out of nothing (Fantasia) before a ball is even bounced...and then lose your second key forward in Marshall and have to replace him with a guy who is probably 30th on your list in Woodcock because Ladhams, Farrell, Bonner, Bergman and Jones are already playing, Rockliff is injured and Hartlett is out of form.

Depth is players 23-26. Drew is depth when Butters and Duursma are fit. Bergman is depth. One of Georgiades/Marshall/Ladhams is depth. McKenzie is depth. Rockliff is now depth. Hartlett is now depth.

Bonner, Farrell and Woodcock? Not depth. You’re cutting into bone with those three.

As for the game - we still make too many boneheaded rookie errors to be considered a genuine premiership threat. Aliir and his sh*t kick to Woofcock when we were all over them and pressing forward. Amon kicking to who the fu** knows when he could have had a ping. Kicking to a known soft utensil in Bonner who was then forced into a three on one aerial contest he was never going to win. Not hitting a free corridor target from a kick in that resulted in a goal.

Speaking of soft utensil Bonner - I’m getting incredibly tired of him presenting an option on a lead that would be a 10m kick at best. He’s not pulling opponents out of position, he’ll never be used - so why does he ******* do it?

I’m Kevin Sorbo levels of disappointed right now.

EDIT: Woofcock was a typo, but after thinking about it, I’m going to leave it in. He certainly consumed a fair satchel of units during the game last night.
Liked for Woofcock

The umpires weren’t a factor in the game. Hawkins was blocked two or three times but missed.

We also played well.

Our failings were too many players not working hard to enough like SPP and Motlop.

Then Farrell, woodcock and Bonner being found out at AFL level

Marshall would not have been a factor either way

JohnHinckleyJr

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 1, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls Man Utd
The umpires weren’t a factor in the game. Hawkins was blocked two or three times but missed.

We also played well.

Our failings were too many players not working hard to enough like SPP and Motlop.

Then Farrell, woodcock and Bonner being found out at AFL level

Marshall would not have been a factor either way
Free against dix n the resulting 50 killed the game umps made that happen rest of your comment is correct the start utter trash

davo999

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2009
Aldinga Beach
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Disappointing result . I think we had a few too many that didn’t contribute much . My main beef was kicking the ball to a Cats player in our forward line .
I didn’t realise Jeremy Cameron was that good .
The Woodcock sub didn’t work , he didn’t offer a lot .
I think Marshall would’ve helped somewhat but it is what it is he basically didn’t play .
Bonner , Farrell , Motlop , Byrne Jones , Woodcock were all out of their depth . Georgie was a bit ordinary too . The tall defenders all struggled with their opponents but they had it hard against their talls with the way the ball came in . On the plus side Wines , Boak , Rozee , Dixon and Ladhams were good but it was a bit of a surprise when we hit the front a few times because they looked dangerous for most of the game whereas
we only had the early second quarter and early last when we had decent ascendancy, we needed to dominate the midfield to win and we didn’t .
Looks like we’re not going far unless we can get Butters and Duursma back without too many more injuries

Portmagpies36

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 5, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Disappointing result . I think we had a few too many that didn’t contribute much . My main beef was kicking the ball to a Cats player in our forward line .
I didn’t realise Jeremy Cameron was that good .
The Woodcock sub didn’t work , he didn’t offer a lot .
I think Marshall would’ve helped somewhat but it is what it is he basically didn’t play .
Bonner , Farrell , Motlop , Byrne Jones , Woodcock were all out of their depth . Georgie was a bit ordinary too . The tall defenders all struggled with their opponents but they had it hard against their talls with the way the ball came in . On the plus side Wines , Boak , Rozee , Dixon and Ladhams were good but it was a bit of a surprise when we hit the front a few times because they looked dangerous for most of the game whereas
we only had the early second quarter and early last when we had decent ascendancy, we needed to dominate the midfield to win and we didn’t .
Looks like we’re not going far unless we can get Butters and Duursma back without too many more injuries

Like you mentioned the huge frustration is only having ascendance for 30 minutes and only having a handful of players performing yet we lose by 3 goals and mostly due to horrific turnovers.

Portmagpies36

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 5, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
What absolutely shits me is we had them on toast, up 9 points, had kicked the last three, the crowd was into it, they had all the covid bullshit to deal with then we proceed to allow a period of footy that applied no pressure what so ever, no manning up, no leadership on the ground and they kick what 3 goals in 4 kicks or something stupid, and bang on 5 really quickly and kill us off.

I know they're a very good football side, but that was the moment where all my optimism for 2021 vanished and the fact hit me that we have achieved all we can with Hinkley & the senior group. We need a reset and I'm sold on it now. How we get to our next Premiership I'm unsure but the young nucleus is there to build with.

You are absolutely bang on with those comments, a lot of people would have been feeling exactly the same. Warren Tredrea pretty much said this playing group has probably gone as far as it can, Trouble is there aren't too many in their mid 20's there either young or near the end of their careers so it will be a rebuild.
The lack of onfield leadership when teams get on a roll against us has been an issue for years with this club, incredibly fragile mentally.

rogerjames

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
See, this is where our standards have been allowed to slip.

Oh, Jonas made a bunch of spoils and put the ball out of play 33 times for a 50-50 boundary throw in close to Geelong's goal. Fantastic.

And what's happening at the other end? Strong, decisive contest wins. Intercept marks, defenders playing in front, outnumber at the contest.

It's chalk and cheese. Our defence looks great against sh*t teams that don't have good forward lines where their weaknesses are hidden and they can easily win the ball back and show off their attacking flair. But against the big boys, they're found wanting again and again.
He's 188cm, always under the pump coz of this. Fair points though & agree with you on everything you said. Our failure to recruit a TALL lock down defender over the last 10+ years is costing us.

Port 2004

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2012
Bellevue Heighta
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You are absolutely bang on with those comments, a lot of people would have been feeling exactly the same. Warren Tredrea pretty much said this playing group has probably gone as far as it can, Trouble is there aren't too many in their mid 20's there either young or near the end of their careers so it will be a rebuild.
The lack of onfield leadership when teams get on a roll against us has been an issue for years with this club, incredibly fragile mentally.
Spot on. As much as we love and respect Boak, Gray etc. the senior players have let us down when it counts time and time again.

Back