Autopsy Round 13, 2022: Brisbane v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Would hate to lose to essendon given how angsty some are losing to a top team on the road 3 players down.

Saw enough yesterday to suggest we are a contender. Watched the highlights again, Higgins/Butler combining up forwards a couple of times was really exciting, if those two can stay fit they can be the difference in games where it is wet/ opposition focuses completely on King. I hope they can work out a way to fit all of long/butler/higgins/king/membrey/Sharman into the one forward line. 3 talls, 3 smalls and then a resting ruckman as the 7th i think, means hill, gresham and billings once back would need to play further up the ground pretty much permanently.

Windy and Wood to come out with the 3 injured. Sharman, NWM and Billings definite ins, from Clark,Leinert,Byrnes and Highmore for the other 2 ins, move the magnets around to make it happen and test the depth out against the bombers.

Also i thought Sinclair actually had a great game yesterday, given the conditions and pressure felt he still used the ball very well considering and was with crouch and webster as our best. Hasn't missed a beat all season, clear bnf leader.

Richmond constantly lost clearances in all 3 of their premiership years. Didn't seem to bother them. We were only minus 2 in clearances until owens and Jones went off

There can be anomalies with any set of stats.
The question then becomes "what are Richmond doing that lets them win games while losing clearances "?
It doesn't mean we can emulate them, and it doesn't mean that losing clearances makes it easier to win.

The thing with missing Steele is that he is just irreplaceable. Equivalent for Brisbane would have been Neale, honestly I think we'd have won if they didn't have him.

The more I think about the game there's a lot of good signs, we didn't play that well but were still in a position to beat them despite so many bad factors.

That suggests to me that we are well coached, which is a good sign.

The thing with missing Steele is that he is just irreplaceable. Equivalent for Brisbane would have been Neale, honestly I think we'd have won if they didn't have him.

The more I think about the game there's a lot of good signs, we didn't play that well but were still in a position to beat them despite so many bad factors.

Agree with you. We had some very poor players last night and quite a bit of adversity, yet we were still in the game until close to the end. The jury is still out for me on whether we can match Melbourne's best football, but after last night, I feel that when play our best football we can beat every other team in the competition. I haven't felt that way for many years.

Jones was looking good before the hammy.

Time for Clark/Billings to contribute

I didn't get to watch the game so i can't really judge the quality, but his stats to the time of the injury seemed nothing special.
In fact i've been a bit underwhelmed by Jones 2022. I really hoped he'd be the one to lift the team when Steele went down but its not been happening.
I'm now hoping that Clark can make an impact.

I was also hoping that Jack Bytel would get a callup and make an impact, now i'm hoping that Jack Bytel can play a game at any level.

So we had a bunch of players with the flu and three had to play, we then get 3 players out and Wood on a buggered ankle.

We have no rotations, players knackered in the 4th, sick and injured players everywhere, and we have a shot for goal.to take the lead with ten minutes to go.

We get beaten by 3 goals only and some are bagging the display.

We didn't get the 4 points but as meritorious a display as any this year with that information in my book.

We didnt lose the rotations until the 2nd half, but our lack of midfield rotation and tactical nouse was showing well before that.

Who were the supposed sick players? If they were genuinely sick they shouldnt have played.

Hill has consistently gone missing when the heat is on in a lot of games, its not a one off game. Ratten talks about setting club standards. You cant have Hill shytting the bed everytime he looks like getting physical pressure, when 2nd game players are getting concussion with courageous acts. Its double standards and if Ratten is serious about setting high standards it has to apply to every player for every game.

So yes the entire list needs to know that that Hill is not excempt.
Sorry that’s rubbish Hill has been good all year. Last night we struggled to find more than 3 decent players. Oh and Hill has never been excempt - whatever that means.

That was a finals like game which you can take a lot out of so for mine, keep doing what we’re doing just get better at it. To be down so many players yet still be in it against a quality team who have been doing this for a few years now is a decent effort. We just beat the best contested possession team in the comp without our best contested possession player and we had 3 players subbed out of the game. We also gifted them two shocking goals with free kicks and 50m penalties.

A lot to improve on but this was going to be a tough game to win and we almost won it. Starting to really believe the future is bright.

Oh and obviously Max King is a massive talent who needs to kick straight but it makes you wonder whether we need another key forward that’s on his level. The second half of this season is going to tell us a hell of a lot.

Agree with you. We had some very poor players last night and quite a bit of adversity, yet we were still in the game until close to the end. The jury is still out for me on whether we can match Melbourne's best football, but after last night, I feel that when play our best football we can beat every other team in the competition. I haven't felt that way for many years.
Agree with you both - great result to have been in the game all things considered, but at the same time I think the Lions kept us in it a bit with some easy misses

Oh and obviously Max King is a massive talent who needs to kick straight but it makes you wonder whether we need another key forward that’s on his level. The second half of this season is going to tell us a hell of a lot.

Not sure how you do that without Salary issues. Not sure how Geelong does it to be honest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with you both - great result to have been in the game all things considered, but at the same time I think the Lions kept us in it a bit with some easy misses
We dd miss a couple ourselves along the way.
And gave an extra one away, and a poster when Higgins got a great big shove.
I don't think we need to downplay the effort, we put up a good fight. Just undermanned.

We dd miss a couple ourselves along the way.
And gave an extra one away, and a poster when Higgins got a great big shove.
I don't think we need to downplay the effort, we put up a good fight. Just undermanned.
I think think we threw away a great opportunity and I’m not one that throws a the toys out with a loss. Thought we were off and so were they. That’s the game we need to take. Most of the team felt off to be honest. But we were right in it and thankfully we have some good troops to come in

Oh and obviously Max King is a massive talent who needs to kick straight but it makes you wonder whether we need another key forward that’s on his level.
Sorry to intrude. Not that McStay is on Kings level but this is where he helps us. He competes as hard as anything and rarely gets beaten. Not sure why Memebery?? (Sorry for the spelling) can't do the same for you guys. So many times late you guys went forward to an outnumber. With Memebery being no where.

From the first bounce, our midfield just didn't defend enough off the ball and let Lions get easy possessions moving through the centre, luckily their innacuracy made the scores look more respectable for us. We need to stop being King-centric in our forward structure, and work on how we move the ball into the forward half. Too many experienced players didn't do enough, though injuries didn't help later.

Some interesting observations from Joey and King on Fox last night about our forward entires.

They showed some vision where it looked like we were kicking to King in one-on-ones but because the kicks were long and high, it gave enough time for another Brisbane defender to leave their opponent and be an extra number. They suggested we need to be slower with our entires, stop kicking it in from 70m out and instead, aim for shorter entires to limit the amount of time the ball is in the air to give King a better chance.

From the first bounce, our midfield just didn't defend enough off the ball and let Lions get easy possessions moving through the centre, luckily their innacuracy made the scores look more respectable for us. We need to stop being King-centric in our forward structure, and work on how we move the ball into the forward half. Too many experienced players didn't do enough, though injuries didn't help later.
If it was from the first bounce how did we have 2 more shots at goal by halftime. I think we really do look for the worst in our side. At halftime we would have been favourites in the betting.

If it was from the first bounce how did we have 2 more shots at goal by halftime. I think we really do look for the worst in our side. At halftime we would have been favourites in the betting.
Not talking about shots for goal, it's about midfield defence which has been an issue for a while

Some interesting observations from Joey and King on Fox last night about our forward entires.

They showed some vision where it looked like we were kicking to King in one-on-ones but because the kicks were long and high, it gave enough time for another Brisbane defender to leave their opponent and be an extra number. They suggested we need to be slower with our entires, stop kicking it in from 70m out and instead, aim for shorter entires to limit the amount of time the ball is in the air to give King a better chance.
Then if we lost king would say we were to slow with our entries. Never heard a guy change his opinion daily let alone minutely Then he looks for stats and vision to back up his story. You can find vision of any story you are telling if you want to. I reckon the players were cooked so skills drop off. Short kicks could be a disaster if your skills drop off.

Just watched the mini on Fox and we were still infront deep into the 3rd quarter

Remove this Banner Ad

Back