Autopsy Round 13, 2023 : Hawthorn mauls Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Bramble is the only bloke I'd be looking at taking out from this side, especially with both Wardy and Morrison playing good footy in the twos against the ladder leaders.

Ward needs to come in. Then of course ewe have guys like Wingard and Jiath who most people would say are too good to be playing VFL. Interesting times ahead.

That was the most fun I’ve had at a game for a long, long time. Possibly the best 4 quarter effort against quality opposition during the official rebuild years. The goals before half time could have absolutely wrecked a young squad’s confidence but we came out and just kept plugging away as though we were the side that has been top 4 for a few seasons. Seeing so many of our youngest players just bring it today was incredible. And for only 36,000 people there we absolutely let the umpires and the side hear us when we needed to.

There’s belief growing both on and off the field

I've started to realise lately how much calmer I am when Lewis is lining up for a shot. He has such a beautiful technique, no wonder his accuracy is so high. Footage of his set shot routine should be showed to AusKick and junior footballers, get some good habits instilled at an early age.

Exceptional game.
Brockman is going to be elite. He is gaining a little confidence in his speed, not many can keep up with him.

Glad the club doesn't listen to idiots like me, I didn't think Lewis had the pace to make it a few seasons ago. He may not be much quicker but his work rate makes it a non issue. Really impressed with his development.

I thought Scrimshaw player really well today. It wasn’t a “Scrimshaw” sort of game but his intent on winning the footy seemed to be really good today. Could he keep his spot over Frost and play that role? I certainly hope so
Absolutely, seems to have become a bit of a whipping boy which seems odd to me. Thought he was great today, showed relentless attack on the footy and some great second efforts. He stays for me, I just trust him.

On Pixel 7 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remind me what we gave away to get Meek

Was at the game today and noticed the number of blocks, shepards, knock ons and general intimidation that he brings to the table on top of the things that you see via the stats - boys clearly love playing with him and yes he is one humongous unit as one D Rich will attest to

BTW was brilliant to be back at the G on a Saturday afternoon - would be handy if Gilligan and his merry men could see fit to give us a few more games in this timeslot instead of constantly burying us in the black hole that is Sunday twilight

What a win, what a game 😍.
The atmosphere was crazy.
I took my friend who never watch the game live. I'm telling them, this is a rebuilding team, very young team against a top 8 teams playing for Finals, so don't get upset if we're getting smashed here. I'm just hoping for a competitive performance.

But wow even the crowds feels it, loved it. When the Brisbane supporters booing Sicily we're trying to cheering up as loud as we can.

Love how the team huddle in the middle to soak up the atmosphere and staying behind and enjoying that careless wispers remix.

Off to watch the replay 😁.

One massive improvement I've seen this year is how much more effective our handballing has been. At the start of the year it was handballs straight into trouble with players standing flat footed.

Sure we still stuff it up sometimes but now it's a weapon that sets up so many scores. Speaks to a couple of things - how much work the players are putting in and how much they are learning. Sam really has them playing genuinely exciting football. Great game.

On Pixel 7 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

That was the most fun I’ve had at a game for a long, long time. Possibly the best 4 quarter effort against quality opposition during the official rebuild years. The goals before half time could have absolutely wrecked a young squad’s confidence but we came out and just kept plugging away as though we were the side that has been top 4 for a few seasons. Seeing so many of our youngest players just bring it today was incredible. And for only 36,000 people there we absolutely let the umpires and the side hear us when we needed to.

There’s belief growing both on and off the field

Was bloody awesome to hear a bit of voice again, we were a quiet bunch the last few years and even during our period of dominance.

You can tell this young group is starting to captivate the hawks faithful, gives me big 2006 vibes when we would pull a win out of the hat

He was excellent. Should keep his spot regardless of Frost (or hopefully DGB) coming back into the side.
Agreed, I thought Jack did a very good job playing more as a key defender.

A big step forward in his development and he shouldn’t being going anywhere as a result.

Great stuff Scrimma!

Yes they did. I do have a concern over Worpel's end product though. His rushed kicks rarely play to our advantage and he does fumble and run into trouble too often for my liking. In 2-3 years time when we are genuinely competing I'm not sure he's in the team as we have so many classy mids coming through. I know that this won't be a popular opinion. If he can work on his deficiencies he'll be there as he certainly has a crack and can sniff out the footy but we might have classier options to play his role by then.
He works hard, busts a gut, takes the hits. Sure his disposal can be a little fumbly but he’s Hawthorn to his bootstraps.

Great win.
Brisbane punished us just before half time, but I reckon the belief the boys got from that win against the saints was super helpful today in subconsciously giving them confidence they could still get the job done.
Kosi has been huge the past few weeks. Very happy with his accuracy and production. We're defs a better team w/ him playing like that than our other options for that role.
Loved Newcombe 's game, surely our bog. Meek came alive in the 2nd half too. Was really happy w/ what he produced.

Bittersweet day for Gunners?

Yeah our supporters were really vocal today which is such a nice change. I’m always dismayed at how quiet and passive Hawthorn crowds are (especially since we have been out of contention). It’s one aspect that we trail the truly big clubs in significantly. I personally don’t think that we can really consider ourselves in that category until we start filling the stadium and creating that cauldron like atmosphere.
After the Mcluggage injury the Brisbane fans at the city end of the ground gave Sicily a massive boo, which was shortly drowned out by Hawthorn fans all around the ground cheering and clapping for Sicily. Made me bloody proud of our fans.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back