Preview Round 13, 2023 : Hawthorn v Brisbane, 1:45pm Sat 10th June, MCG

Status
Not open for further replies.
If scrim plays on either Hipwood or Daniher, then he will get reamed. I think Scrim should have made way for DGB. I still think DGB is going to be an excellent defender, just hoping it is with us. Will spew if he goes and makes it at another club and meanwhile we are still trotting out Scrimshaw, Frost and CJ.
I agree Frost is not part of the future but i think u r putting a line through the other two pretty quickly. Especially CJ who has been injured and is still pretty young. He could be a real weapon with his speed and agility.

As for DGB we r not going to rush him. He comes in when we think he is ready

Hodginator

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 1, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I’m a big fan of Scrim, but if he’s playing the Frost role to allow Sicily to be the loose interceptor, we could be in some strife

And if Sicily is playing the Frost role, then his impact will be minimal.

Sicily clearly hit is best form with Frost and Blanck both in the side.

I’m a big fan of Scrim, but if he’s playing the Frost role to allow Sicily to be the loose interceptor, we could be in some strife

Scrim needs to evolve as a player he is tall enough to play on the bigger forwards. Needs to take responsibility being a senior member of that defence. He cant play third man up anymore. His role is evolving with the side and the way we want to play. He can still be that intercept player but he starts by being more defensively responsible

Well with all this negative noise emanating from the media this week here is something to cheer you up.

Training today after all that rain in the morning the sun was shining for the boys out there.
They were pretty rowdy out there on the track. All of them in good spirits.

No show
Frosty: Probably taking a deserved break for a couple of weeks with his foot injury.

Rehab
Lynch: Running on the far side and doing some kick to kick drills
CJ: See lynch

Everyone else in full training including Jeka who shall play at box hill this week.

The drills out there are the same as we have had in the last few months just refining getting better at ball handling tougher at the contest. Tackling harder. Increasing our communication with each other.

The first drill was just a sprint of 20m and we had groups of about 10 taking off at one time. Weddle :eek:o_O absolutely smoked them in his group including most of the mids. Others included BMAC and Seamus.

In one of those drills it was quite funny because Hickmott called them all to run in towards him in one of the drills DGB was awake to this he pretended to run as Hickmott then kicked the ball into one side of the field and every one scattered.

A mans got to know his opponent and your own limitations. In the intra butler laid a great tackle and from the free the ball made its way out to the middle into the hands of Bramble he took off with the player behind him alas that player was BMAC and he got caught with the ball. Great chase and tackle

Some other things of note Kosi looking a lot more confident in his marking including taking a contested mark one handed against Sic during a contest. Really gaining in confidence. Great to see.

Jek was playing in defence on Lewis in the intra so look for him to play in defence down at box hill.

Weddle looking a lot like Franklin 2007 out on the track. The most notable player out there hard to miss. Absolutely burned the middle of the ground as he ran through there to kick it forward. I am sure there were left over remnants of a fire trail. His confidence is sky high. I am getting very excited.

As i was leaving i went down to the fence as Punk was standing there and asked him if he was gonna run through Gunners at the first bounce. Punk chuckled and motioned with clothes line action. I also congratulated him on his 500th goal what a champ.

That leaves us with the changes this week. CMAC2 definitely deserves a full game this week he had an impact when he came on last week so with that

In: Sic, Seamus, CMAC2
Out: Frosty, BMAC, CMAC1
Sub: CMAC1

Got a good feeling about this one, I reckon we win

westhawk

Club Legend
Dec 24, 2006
perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I agree Frost is not part of the future but i think u r putting a line through the other two pretty quickly. Especially CJ who has been injured and is still pretty young. He could be a real weapon with his speed and agility.

As for DGB we r not going to rush him. He comes in when we think he is ready
We just need a tough lock down defender who also knows when to drift off to free up Sic,and I think DGB can do this better than Scrim and CJ ever could. Those 2 dont like one on one battles, they are also suspect with ball in hand,and they have been overtaken in the run and carry by Weddle and Shammy. Not completely putting a line through them, but I think they are going to be depth players.

If scrim stays deep, brisbane will orchestrate Daniher deep. Scrim will have to come up the field and just stay on Gunston I think. Let sis and blanck take the other talls.
I think we will rotate through the rest but blank will play on daniher

MasterSamurai

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
BayernMunchen
Blanck and Sicily take up the kpd roles and scrim and Weddle intercept across half back. And from there, distribute to mids and half frwds to run and gun.
Just need to watch out for slippery Charlie.

Scrim will get murdered playing deep.
His role is a distributor off half back. Like Birchall. That's it.
Birch was an exceptional player under rated by us. Scrim doesnt have his speed and line breaking ability and uses different skills including the fact that he is good overhead. Watching him train and play at box hill tells me his role is changing. He is being asked to step up as a senior member of the team. We have to give him a chance to succeed. The other roles in that defence are filled. We want to build defensive depth. He is tall enough to play tall. I dont mind this at all

Aug 31, 2006
A state of delusion
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If he wasn't on a development program at Box Hill I'd agree with you. At the moment, we believe the fastest way to develop his game is to play at Box Hill.

Hope he keeps developing at Box Hill and gets a game sooner or later. Thought Hipwood or Daniher would be a good match up for him.

Hopefully he is being looked after and his ego, at being an early draft pick, doesn't upset the apple cart. Hopefully a cracking guy and a 200+ gamer for the Hawks.

westhawk

Club Legend
Dec 24, 2006
perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Blanck and Sicily take up the kpd roles and scrim and Weddle intercept across half back. And from there, distribute to mids and half frwds to run and gun.
Just need to watch out for slippery Charlie.
Except the moment we play Sic on a KPF, we lose his ability to play 3rd manup, and Srim can’t play as a KPD, he has also lost his elite kick he used to have.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets

Neither Daniher or Hipwood are forwards that like to wrestle or use strength to beat their opponent. I think that works in our defenders favour.

Last edited:

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Birch was an exceptional player under rated by us. Scrim doesnt have his speed and line breaking ability and uses different skills including the fact that he is good overhead. Watching him train and play at box hill tells me his role is changing. He is being asked to step up as a senior member of the team. We have to give him a chance to succeed. The other roles in that defence are filled. We want to build defensive depth. He is tall enough to play tall. I dont mind this at all
I'd say we need to play to his strengths. I'm shitting myself if he's hung out to dry in the square one out.

SammyC

Team Captain
May 20, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I’m nervous about scrim being taken deep and isolated but I think he’s got to prove he is capable to be best 22. As said earlier, he is a senior defender, tall and strong. He needs to show he can step up and do a job when asked.

Sicily on and playing off gunston maybe? Jack is pretty cooked so reckon a half accountable sic could do that job and zone off?

You guys seem to think that we r going to throw Scrim to the wolves. We r not, we defend as a team. We r just asking more from Scrim as senior member i dont think there is anything wrong with that. He plays taller because Sic plays that intercept defender better than Scrim. They will rotate through different players

Sep 28, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You guys seem to think that we r going to throw Scrim to the wolves. We r not, we defend as a team. We r just asking more from Scrim as senior member i dont think there is anything wrong with that. He plays taller because Sic plays that intercept defender better than Scrim. They will rotate through different players
I think a lot of it is PTSD from watching Scrim on bigger forwards in the past.

As a senior player it’s up to him to take up the challenge our coaches are throwing his way by putting him on the bigger forwards.

He can cement his spot in the team or find himself back on the outer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back