Review Round 13, 2023 - Hawthorn vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Hawthorn?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

we kicked the last 3 of the second and looked like running away with the game, did Mitchell make changes?

Theres a reason why coaches aren’t too reactionary. Sometimes you’re best bet is to stick with your guns
Two things happened after the first half. The Hawks got on top in the midfield and went backwards out of stoppages and then went across the ground to the other wing and then forwards therefore opening the game up and giving the forwards a space to lead to on the opposite side. Sicily was manned up by the Lions more but was still effective it was a soft tag really they just placed a forward next to him . He was playing by himself for the first half and best on the ground. The backline didn’t have much hope really the ball went forward with ease. The lions were late to chase their opponents however I must admit Cameron and MCarthy tried hard. Gunston did no defensive running or Rich in the backline.

yeah and everyone blew up about it

I mean it was 100% less contentious that the Sicily tackle and it was still a fair suspension last year. People blow up about so many things. 3KZ has been on a rampage since Thursday night about Lester being dropped. People’s outrage is not indicative of anything.

I mean it was 100% less contentious that the Sicily tackle and it was still a fair suspension last year. People blow up about so many things. 3KZ has been on a rampage since Thursday night about Lester being dropped. People’s outrage is not indicative of anything.
so you would be happy for Lachie Neale to miss a grand final over that?

I’m not going to open a bottle of champagne but I’ll completely understand it. It’s fine if you want to get pissy over that but I think it’s good to stamp out unnecessary actions like slinging and dumping. Having read through the struggles Marcus Adams and Justin Clarke have endured I really like moves to help not make that the fate of other players in the league. It’s just a bloody game of football at the end of the day.

Unless Neale is changing clubs he ain’t playing in a GF lol

😂😂 Ouch!!

I'm going to be an optimist and believe it's possible.

But I'm hoping I can find excuses not to watch away games on tv again.

Till finals. Then I'll just drink lots and lots of alcohol so won't even know what's going on.

Peoples futures are worth way more than a player being in a grand final.

Wouldn't be happy, but the rule is don't block arms and swing head into the ground. Even if it's an accident (and I'm sure it is - no one in afl goes out to concuss another player. Lower leagues are a different matter) it has to be a suspension.

We're frauds tbh. The same problems year in and year out. At some point the players and the coaching group are going to realise change needs to be made. If they're happy winning regular season games and not making an impact in finals then they're failing themselves and the clubs members and fans.

We're frauds tbh. The same problems year in and year out. At some point the players and the coaching group are going to realise change needs to be made. If they're happy winning regular season games and not making an impact in finals then they're failing themselves and the clubs members and fans.

You don't think we made an impact in finals last year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sicily should get 3 weeks. That was about as dangerous as it gets when you've got a guy below the waist and sling his whole upper body.

Re our record in Melbourne. It stinks. Teams well below us on the ladder go miles better.

Why is it so ? Just an overall lack of mental fortitude in adverse conditions.

The bookies know. When we play at the Gabba we're miles under the odds and you struggle to get on. In Melbourne they're happy to take whatever bets come in.

Agreed RE sicily

Was it intentional? Of course not. But he basically suplexed McCluggage, and as you said that’s about as dangerous as it gets.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If you look at the replay, the player coming in over the top is what does the damage. Sicily has it fairly controlled until Cluggs gets knocked out and of course drops like a stone. It’s a collision sport and accidents happen. I don’t think he should be suspended.

I watched the first three quarters and then went into my office and did something else with the sound still going in the background just in case the Lion's players decided to engage a more emphatic/winning style of endevour ... there was plenty of excitement coming from the TV which meant I knew that the Hawks were still doing fine since we hadn't silenced the Hawthorn supporters at the ground or in the commentary box.

It just felt like they weren't engaged and watching my guys half arse around doesn't do it for me (try your guts out and still lose is fine but losing and shrugging along the way ... ... ...)

In terms of coaching, we were top 2 for defence and offence 3 weeks ago with an averaging winning margin of 42 points.

We had also devaloped the best handball pressure/intercept game in the league and were being praised for our defensive architecture.

There are issues with our game style, the low possession stuff has gone too far and the territory/bomb it long game looks past it’s used by.

But for me, this mini slide is effort based. The resistance between the arcs and that frontal pressure has dropped away again.

We are just not up for the hunt, energy and connection looks down and has since 3/4 time vs Carlton.

Gotter make some tactical adjustments, get selection right but most importantly get back to that manic hunt and physicality.

If you look at the replay, the player coming in over the top is what does the damage. Sicily has it fairly controlled until Cluggs gets knocked out and of course drops like a stone. It’s a collision sport and accidents happen. I don’t think he should be suspended.

This theory has been debunked with another camera angle

KissKiss wrote "I'm excited but also nervous. It'll be my 5 month olds first game and have somehow managed to also be taking my 5 and 7 year old nephews along for their first game as well"

FFB1 wrote "Taking my 5yo Lions member to his first ever game too (no chance taking him to night games, which we play 9 out of every 10 times down here). Me and him versus the better half, our 10yo, the father in law, the brother in law, and two mates (one over from Adelaide), who are all Hawthorn members."

How many new Hawks supporters did we create this weekend?

My 15 year old grandson has gone from playing Aussie Rules and going to every Lions home game to not playing Aussie Rules (due to concussion), not going to Lions games > now playing basketball and supporting the Chicago Bulls.

My 15 year old grandson has gone from playing Aussie Rules and going to every Lions home game to not playing Aussie Rules (due to concussion), not going to Lions games > now playing basketball and supporting the Chicago Bulls.
Concussion is likely a concern for parents regarding all three contact sports here in Australia, and the AFL for obvious reasons is essentially outlawing the sling tackle, especially the holding the arms and slinging motion.

I have also seen a few players concussed or suffering facial fractures from a raised knee. Yes raising a knee, whilst jumping for a mark, to gain height and clear space has always been allowable, and provides for some spectacular marks, but i am not too keen on players standing under the ball and having a knee thrust into the back of their skull, but on the flip side, if raising a knee whilst jumping for a mark was eliminated is it taking too much away from the fabric of the game?

:sadv1::disrelieved:

Every non-Vic team's MCG record in the last 10 games they've played there:

Sydney 5-5 (wins against Melbourne 2019, Richmond 2021, Essendon 2021, Melbourne 2022, Melbourne 2022)
Fremantle 4-6 (wins against Richmond 2017, Collingwood 2019, Melbourne 2022, Melbourne 2023)
Port Adelaide 4-6 (wins against Melbourne 2019, Carlton 2021, Collingwood 2021, Richmond 2023)
West Coast 4-6 (wins against Collingwood 2018, Collingwood 2019, Hawthorn 2019, Hawthorn 2021)
Adelaide 3-6-1 (wins against Carlton 2016, Hawthorn 2017, Carlton 2017, draw with Collingwood 2017)
Gold Coast 3-7 (wins against Melbourne 2014, Hawthorn 2017, Collingwood 2021)
GWS 3-7 (wins against Collingwood 2019, Collingwood 2021, Melbourne 2021)

Brisbane 1-9 (only win against Melbourne in 2022)
Considering how little we play at the MCG how far back into our last dark years of suckiness do we go to get to 10 games?

I misread that in the context of the post immediately above it and thought it was a very drastic response to a two game losing streak...

Considering how little we play at the MCG how far back into our last dark years of suckiness do we go to get to 10 games?
Not sure, I plagiarized those stats off another poster on the main board.... at a guess I would say all 10 would be since we came good in 2019.

Back