Review Round 13, 2023 - Hawthorn vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Hawthorn?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The broadcast vision made the tackle look a lot more benign than the other angles do.

Channel 7 showed this footage today along with stating Hawks to appeal the decision.
The AFL appear keen to stop this type of tackle.
Maybe they up it to 4 weeks to show they are serious, and an appeal won't be looked on kindly.
Most likely stays at 3. No way it should be reduced.

I am not sure it would be Rich or Coleman as extras in the defensive side of the square.
Their forward opponent has to be in the area. So, the numbers of our defenders and their forwards under normal circumstances will be even.
We very well may be trying to use Rich/Coleman as that out from the stoppage as you have observed.
That's different to having an extra player/players around stoppages.

I can't see how any Lions defenders are the extra player/players in the defensive side of the square.
In my opinion it has to be a player from another position Wing, Center, Ruck rover or a forward.
Not sure what to tell you, but it's very frequent for us to try and manufacture Coleman or Rich just behind the ball on stoppages on either wing side of the ground, and they never play wing. The only thing in my mind that makes sense is they are the oppositions spare and we push them up to the stoppage to get our plus 1.

Channel 7 showed this footage today along with stating Hawks to appeal the decision.
The AFL appear keen to stop this type of tackle.
Maybe they up it to 4 weeks to show they are serious, and an appeal won't be looked on kindly.
Most likely stays at 3. No way it should be reduced.
That footage is damning.
No way it can be reduced

Not sure what to tell you, but it's very frequent for us to try and manufacture Coleman or Rich just behind the ball on stoppages on either wing side of the ground, and they never play wing. The only thing in my mind that makes sense is they are the oppositions spare and we push them up to the stoppage to get our plus 1.
I am not denying they are the players we try to use when things fall into place to get the ball out of defense.
But their corresponding opponent is a forward so will be in the forward area.
It is very unlikely their forward opponent will be anywhere else at a forward stoppage. Trying to score i imagine just like our forwards.

Barring an injury out of the playing area you are always going to have 6 forwards (opposition) and 6 defenders (Lions) at stoppages in our defense 50.
Of course, rucks, ruck rover, & rover will also be in equal numbers at the stoppage.
Possibly even the 2 centers but this is not a given.

If your gameplan is to have an extra player at defense stoppages (defense example) the extra player has to come from somewhere other than a defense player.

So, Rich/Coleman can not be the extra Lions player at the stoppage. They are just the players most likely used where possible to clear the area.

I am not denying they are the players we try to use when things fall into place to get the ball out of defense.
But their corresponding opponent is a forward so will be in the forward area.
It is very unlikely their forward opponent will be anywhere else at a forward stoppage. Trying to score i imagine just like our forwards.

Barring an injury out of the playing area you are always going to have 6 forwards (opposition) and 6 defenders (Lions) at stoppages in our defense 50.
Of course, rucks, ruck rover, & rover will also be in equal numbers at the stoppage.
Possibly even the 2 centers but this is not a given.

If your gameplan is to have an extra player at defense stoppages (defense example) the extra player has to come from somewhere other than a defense player.

So, Rich/Coleman can not be the extra Lions player at the stoppage. They are just the players most likely used where possible to clear the area.
I'm talking about when other teams drop a player back against us, that is usually a forward from the other team so we are playing 6-5 in defence, that's when I'm saying Rich and Coleman are pushing up into that role. Maybe I wasn't clear enough sorry.

Back