Review Round 13, 2023 - Hawthorn vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Hawthorn?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Outcoached, outplayed and outclassed today. So many passengers; Gunston, Bailey, Big O, Prior. Always disappointing being a Vic based Lions fan, we turn in god awful performance every time.
Yeah mate. I'm fed up with watching us sink it up in melb most times. Especially at the G. Not doing it again. Yuck.

In the robo and zorks podcast they said very does his shoulders every game.

And I've heard berry himself saying his shoulders are ducked.
If Jarrod's shoulder is that bad I wonder if he would be interested in going to the Suns to play with his brother again, Jarrod is 25 now and it appears like he is never going to be that consistent A grade player we thought he could be, maybe because of physical limitations.

Not sure what he would be worth at the trade table.

The irony is you’re right. The first 250 don’t matter if your next 20 are no good.

Think I’ve found Fages alt account, since you want to gift games on past deeds.

Assuming we win the Gabba games, we will probably start favourite against St Kilda, and Melbourne, if we are up and about we're capable. I'm picking 6/6.
Favourite against st Kilda away? You think? 6/6? You think? Richmond and Geelong will be a real test, especially if we play close to what we did today. And we're not beating Melbourne at the G

If Jarrod's shoulder is that bad I wonder if he would be interested in going to the Suns to play with his brother again, Jarrod is 25 now and it appears like he is never going to be that consistent A grade player we thought he could be, maybe because of physical limitations.

Not sure what he would be worth at the trade table.
I think that'd be a good idea.

Fages had a half crack at him recently when the question was asked about his shoulder and he said something along the lines well he's got more than enough strapping there to withstand any issues.

I'm not sure he's that well regarded internally any more which is at odds with his performance in the Melbourne final when he had wings.

Where did that performance come from and why can't it be reproduced ?

He's a shadow of that in nearly every game this year.

We're just a bog average team away from home, plain and simple.

And that better be the last game of football prior plays.

But it’s a huge body of evidence for what you’re capable of
Bwahahaha. In the world where you don’t grow old and your form line doesn’t change… sure.

Take a rest buddy and snap back to reality. It will improve your posting and hopefully stop you having low effort digs at fellow posters.

I’ve said for a long time; too much icing and not enough cake. Look at the team on paper and it’s a team of A grade players on every line, but when the going gets tough and the pressure is applied too many blokes are going missing. Will never win a flag with this team, not ruthless enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What an ordinary performance. You could see early on in the second quarter that the Hawks were out working us.

Too many players regressing for this team to jump from being good to a Premiership contender.

Missing the point again. your form certainly isn’t declining
What does that even mean? So rereading your posts you’re suggesting what some bloke did last year, 3 years or 5 years ago has any influence on this years performance?

Rich is old and he isn’t capable as he once was. There is plenty of proof that players decline once they hit 30. Depending on their talent and physical gifts some players ‘age’ faster than others. Rich unfortunately looks like a bloke who has been retired for three years and has enjoyed his time in the paddock.

He might have little passages here and there where he does okay but over a course of a game, a season, a finals series? I’m worried he will continue to decline as he has been and continue to cost us goals and possibly games.

What does that even mean? So rereading your posts you’re suggesting what some bloke did last year, 3 years or 5 years ago has any influence on this years performance?

Rich is old and he isn’t capable as he once was. There is plenty of proof that players decline once they hit 30. Depending on their talent and physical gifts some players ‘age’ faster than others. Rich unfortunately looks like a bloke who has been retired for three years and has enjoyed his time in the paddock.

He might have little passages here and there where he does okay but over a course of a game, a season, a finals series? I’m worried he will continue to decline as he has been and continue to cost us goals and possibly games.

Read that first paragraph again

And still missing the point

This is why coaches persist

Zorko was finished last year, still one of our most important

Taylor Walker could've finished up a few years ago as well and went ok today

I'm not as pessimistic on Daniel as some others.

He clearly wasn't right today and shouldn't have played . Which meant we could've subbed Gunston off again ,but Richy could hardly walk.

He surprised me in last years finals series. He's on notice because clearly it's near the end

If we could get him right he's still worth a spot , but obviously that's not the case right now.

Seemed to me, the Lions were not in it from the start. A few bright spots with Hipwoods goals, otherwise a C grade effort today. The young Hawks ran rings around us.
Some extremely slow and hesitant older players in Rich and Gardiner being gifted games at the moment.
Everyone else seemed a half second behind their opponents.
The Hawks (our bogey team) + after the Bye = disappointment.
I expected more. Much more.
One bright spot was seeing Hipwood get involved and - more importantly - kick straight. There were some highlights - Ashcroft's goal, Rayner's mark on the line - but a whole lot of not much else.

Richy was clearly cooked for this game. There were so many times were he slowly just ran towards his opponent with the ball, or moved like he was in slow motion when he had the footy.

Thought he'd probably get subbed off when I saw Coleman was the sub, but seems strange to bring an unfit Coleman on for Richy. Kind of end up with the same dynamic on field.

If they're not fit enough to run out the whole game, we need another option. Thought motty did alright back there.

Yeah who cares how good you were in your first 250 games. Completely irrelevant.

Grow up
I could take you seriously if you didn’t run the exact opposite argument in relation to Jarryd Lyons.

Hate to say it but we are a bunch of pretenders. Until we perform away from home consistently nothing will change my mind. We have too many flaws. The most worrying thing today is that they seriously tried, it wasn’t lack of effort, it was a lack of leadership, footy smarts and ability to run. Just weren’t up it.

Game plan to beat us is simple.

Play a high pressure style game with a quick running side and they will run us off our feat. We can’t go with quicker sides for 4 qtrs away from home.

And why on earth is Darcy Gardner still starting 22 is beyond me. He would struggle to get a game in most teams. I thought Lester was doing a good job. I’m seriously not sure what they see in him. Can’t run, unreliable disposal, poor decision making, doesn’t beat his direct opponent, doesn’t intercept mark, gives away stupid free kicks, not tall enough to play key position, not agile enough to play on small forwards.

We had to finish top two and hope for two finals at the Gabba. That’s gone now.

Port destroys the hawks last week. A week later we get completely outplayed and made to look second rate. That’s where we’re at.

Yes, we have good individual talent. But I fear the balance of the team in critical areas falls short of what’s needed in the modern game to win a premiership. I’ve always had the feeling that we just lack something.

If we don't measure up this year I agree it's time to get some capital out of players who still have some value and aren't overly helping us.

That's the only way to get better.
not the only way, some of the line coaches may need to be looked at.

Don't win flags in June, but after watching Port and Dogs last night and how Hawkes just spread and out ran us, with a heavy heart I don't think we can make the last Sat in Sept

Hate to say it but we are a bunch of pretenders. Until we perform away from home consistently nothing will change my mind. We have too many flaws. The most worrying thing today is that they seriously tried, it wasn’t lack of effort, it was a lack of leadership, footy smarts and ability to run. Just weren’t up it.

Game plan to beat us is simple.

Play a high pressure style game with a quick running side and they will run us off our feat. We can’t go with quicker sides for 4 qtrs away from home.

And why on earth is Darcy Gardner still starting 22 is beyond me. He would struggle to get a game in most teams. I thought Lester was doing a good job. I’m seriously not sure what they see in him. Can’t run, unreliable disposal, poor decision making, doesn’t beat his direct opponent, doesn’t intercept mark, gives away stupid free kicks, not tall enough to play key position, not agile enough to play on small forwards.

We had to finish top two and hope for two finals at the Gabba. That’s gone now.

Port destroys the hawks last week. A week later we get completely outplayed and made to look second rate. That’s where we’re at.

Yes, we have good individual talent. But I fear the balance of the team in critical areas falls short of what’s needed in the modern game to win a premiership. I’ve always had the feeling that we just lack something.
All true in relation to Gardiner. Fagan dropped a desperate, hard at it, skilled and in form Lester, so he could give a game to an out of form Gardiner, who is a dour defender at best. Gardiner is a pet, pure and simple.

Back