Preview Round 13: Blues vs the Bye. Mid-season review.

You're suggesting we add Plowman to the midfield rotation so that we have yet another player we can complain about being consigned to the back pocket instead of the midfield?

In all seriousness, I like the idea. He's got that desperate lunge defensively, has smart hands, is generally a good user of the ball, and is kind of weirdly faster than you'd think. I seem to remember someone at some point saying that they rated him as a junior as a potential midfielder, that he could be anything.

All I'll say if it comes off, though, is trust Carlton to play and develop one of their best mids as a lockdown back pocket.

Plowman is quicker than Setterfield, Kennedy and Cripps at least. Solid body. Great reader of the play and very good footskills. I think he is wasted deep in defence on small forwards. You can tell he is just itching to get further up the ground too. He's always getting further out than he probably should.

He was touted as potentially being able to transition into the midfield as a junior. Some have said he can't do it, without really giving him a chance in there. I reckon he's got just as good a chance as Williams has.

BlueBayou

Premiership Player
Apr 28, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Plowman is quicker than Setterfield, Kennedy and Cripps at least. Solid body. Great reader of the play and very good footskills. I think he is wasted deep in defence on small forwards. You can tell he is just itching to get further up the ground too. He's always getting further out than he probably should.

He was touted as potentially being able to transition into the midfield as a junior. Some have said he can't do it, without really giving him a chance in there. I reckon he's got just as good a chance as Williams has.

I've often wondered if Plowman would be better value playing a 'defensive forward' role. Capable of a overhead mark, clearly good at locking on to his man, which would relieve some of the leakage into defence we suffer, and maybe would appreciate kicking a goal or so per game.
It could be, with SOS to RR, a very different look for CFC.

I'm going to put it this way: I think TDK should take the centre stoppages, before folding in ahead of the ball (and if Pitto plays, behind to play a kick behind) and we should play one of Jack, Jones, Plow, McGovern, Kennedy at the stoppages as a ruckman and rely less on overwhelming taps dominance and more on good defensive positioning both around the stoppage and 40m corridor and boundary side of the stoppage. Try and win the centre clearances outright, but around the ground make the default to be an effort for the opposition to win cleanly regardless of the quality of their taps, and if they want to go quick with a snap kick from within we'll be set up downfield.

I thoroughly agree about Jack, although I'm too young to have seen Serge.

I don't actually remember Serge playing.But I have watched plenty of old games and know what a ruck-rover is. Cripps is a ruck-rover, as defined by Barrassi in the 50's

I'm 61, Serg retired when I was about 10, (Dad played aginst him in the Sunday amateurs league way back.) But he must have played in the first games I saw when my Old Man took me to see Blues V Swans twice a year (He grew up in Kerford Rd, walking distance from the Sth Melbourne Ground) I remember Skilton - the closest comparison I have to Walsh, but Skilts could kick off both feet; not so Sam.

The pont is, Jack plays like his grandfather, people confuse him with the taller and smoother mover who was his father.

Last edited:
I've often wondered if Plowman would be better value playing a 'defensive forward' role. Capable of a overhead mark, clearly good at locking on to his man, which would relieve some of the leakage into defence we suffer, and maybe would appreciate kicking a goal or so per game.
It could be, with SOS to RR, a very different look for CFC.

I don't actually remember Serge playing.But I have watched plenty of old games and know what a ruck-rover is. Cripps is a ruck-rover, as defined by Barrassi in the 50's

I'm 61, Serg retired when I was about 10, (Dad played aginst him in the Sunday amateurs league way back.) But he must have played in the first games I saw when my Old Man took me to see Blues V Swans twice a year (He grew up in Kerford Rd, walking distance from the Sth Melbourne Ground) I remember Skilton - the closest comparison I have to Walsh, but Skilts could kick off both feet; not so Sam.

The pont is, Jack plays like his grandfather, people confuse him with the taller and smoother mover who was his father.
Hey BB we are the same vintage :thumbsu: Vaguely recall Serge playing right at the end of his career.

Nov 14, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Clarkson is a gun coach, they're all playing for him. That team will be back sooner rather than later. Imo the swans are just a young team too and they're inconsistent due to that and had a down game.
Interesting how the talk is to give Teague another year. Clarkson finishes up at the end of next season, and has said since day one he will honour his contract.
Carlton gets clear air as Collingwood will have a coach and there does not appear to be any other clubs looking for another coach.
As for the independent review, how can it be independent when Sayers & Liddle are part of the review team???

Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Interesting how the talk is to give Teague another year. Clarkson finishes up at the end of next season, and has said since day one he will honour his contract.
Carlton gets clear air as Collingwood will have a coach and there does not appear to be any other clubs looking for another coach.
As for the independent review, how can it be independent when Sayers & Liddle are part of the review team???
Your first conspiracy theory is probably very wrong. If teague is kept it's not for 1 year then to get Clarkson. It's because they think he's the coach to go forward with.

Other clubs looking for coaches should and could probably be Gws and st Kilda, maybe another if there are second half of the year implosions.

Im not familiar with board level reviews as I'm a sportsman turned academic with not much experience in the private sector yet but from what I can tell Sayers isn't going to colour the review. He brought it on and I bet he wants it to be as truthful and real as possible so as to help him move Carlton forward and start his legacy at the club.

Liddle I don't even know if he's officially part of the review. I doubt it as anything other than a word in the media

BlueBayou

Premiership Player
Apr 28, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Watch the 1970 GF Andrew and take interest in the 3rd quater, Serge was the comeback.
Serge 'decided' to do something about the situation in that GF. Like many greats he had the willpower to make things happen. He was never the classiest, best user, or silky smoothest player, but he had everything that we now lack- Grunt, guts, determination, application, will.

Sos had it too, as does Jack.

Serge 'decided' to do something about the situation in that GF. Like many greats he had the willpower to make things happen. He was never the classiest, best user, or silky smoothest player, but he had everything that we now lack- Grunt, guts, determination, application, will.

Sos had it too, as does Jack.
I reckon Tom has it as well.

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
Watching the Swans Hawks game, and pondering why our blokes can't apply manic pressure on the opposition all game, the Swans beaten by a far inferior list ..all due to game plan, structure and mindset. where can we get some of that ?

Positioning, you need to be close to the opposition to pressure them. It sounds so simple and it is. IMO it's more about our tactics/positioning and less about our effort. Easier to pressure players you're next to or at least a few metres from than if you're nowhere near them. It's our biggest problem.

Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Just been reading the Bye Board’s selection thread.... some of their ITK posters seem to think they will get their Captain (Bye Bye) back from injury......

They will also debut their 1st round highly touted father/son recruit SOB (Son of Bye)....which will just about have them at full strength.

This won’t be easy, they seem pretty confident of knocking us off, we will need to be at our best....
cant see us getting 4 points, but our percentage should be ok

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
Positioning, you need to be close to the opposition to pressure them. It sounds so simple and it is. IMO it's more about our tactics/positioning and less about our effort. Easier to pressure players you're next to or at least a few metres from than if you're nowhere near them. It's our biggest problem.
I think positioning is a bit of a cop out for the players. Pressure is mostly about desire and we don't really have many manic pressure guys in the team. JSOS is the obvious one, but aside from him we don't have any guys who naturally pressure hard. You read the VFL reports and most of the reviews talk about trying to teach guys to consistently apply pressure and praise guys when they do. You can only teach it to a certain level, at some point it comes down to an individuals natural desire.

Again JSOS as an example, I highly doubt since joining the AFL a coach has said "we need to coach him to pressure more". Pressure is, literally, in his DNA and you can see it in how he plays. I doubt the same could be said for anyone else on the list.

We jokingly/seriously comment about it all the time - but most of our boys like to corral rather thank go for the tackle, which s**ts us all off at times

Oct 4, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
We need to wipe the slate clean and start our own mini-season once we come back from the bye.

Don't think about finals or missing out - we have a nil all scorecard and we are coming up against a lot of teams we would expect to beat.

Judge based on our second half of the season. If we can't come good after the break against mostly weaker opposition then I would not be surprised at all to see Teague gone.

Back