Preview Round 13 Changes : Hawks v Power

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree, you can't turn over the top end of the list and then expunge a bunch of youth at the same time.
Sure you can.
Rookies and young players get turned over all the time.

If the AFL reduces list size there will be some better depth players cut loose than we currently have.

We could see contracted players going end of this year if the AFL shakes things up to much so they need to work out who is worth holding on to

Aug 27, 2015
🅱️🅰️🥇1️⃣3️⃣
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
🇦🇺
The Dream

10208e88862c957855157c7f63aebcfc.gif

Reality

7PwO.gif

B&GBlood

Premiership Player
Mar 19, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This is some straight bs
His efforts this year were awful
Lack of confidence shouldn't be an excuse for lack of effort
It is fitness after injury. He can’t get to the contest like he did last year. He has lost upper body strength and the confidence that brings. Have you been watching?

Jul 3, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Why doesn't Howe deserve a run ??

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I reckon, with his bigger body in the midfield late last year I reckon we looked good. Reckon that's part of our midfield problem at the moment, Mitchell, Worps, O'Meara and Shiels all on the smaller end, having a bigger bodied player like Howe in there helps.

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk

B&GBlood

Premiership Player
Mar 19, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Amen.

I really don’t know what some people expect after we can’t select Smith,Gunston,Frawley,JOM and Sicily the “Play the kids” brigade want us to throw them to the wolves.

Just like some of them were banging on saying in the last few weeks “Get Nash in he can run and tackle” while ignoring the fact the kid can’t mark or kick the footy.

Some people just can’t seem to grasp that there are usually good behind the scenes reasons why some kids are deemed not ready by the selection committee and coaches.
Come on, what would the f’ing coaches know!

B&GBlood

Premiership Player
Mar 19, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
That’s a team picked to minimise damage. Other than picking minch or brooksby did we have any more experienced players to pick? Can’t think of any.

There’s always 1-3 selections a week where Clarko shows his conservative bias that is costing us over the long run.

Hartley and Patton selections make sense but did we really need to see howe and Scully given where our season is at? Is cousins really the future in the midfield? Do we need to see more of Ollie or worth seeing someone else?

Yeah you can make a case for each one individually but as a group the selections don’t stack up with only 6 games left and our season over.
Last years recruits will stay with a minimum 2 year contract. The guys playing will be playing for their career. We have six weeks to sort the wheat from the chaff

burnside5

All Australian
May 23, 2010
Shoreham
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I reckon, with his bigger body in the midfield late last year I reckon we looked good. Reckon that's part of our midfield problem at the moment, Mitchell, Worps, O'Meara and Shiels all on the smaller end, having a bigger bodied player like Howe in there helps.

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk

Wondered what happened to Howe, as whilst not the fastest bloke going around, always has a crack and had a bit of mongrel about him which we desperately need.

It is fitness after injury. He can’t get to the contest like he did last year. He has lost upper body strength and the confidence that brings. Have you been watching?
His injuries would not have helped
Wondered what happened to Howe, as whilst not the fastest bloke going around, always has a crack and had a bit of mongrel about him which we desperately need.
He had a foot injury that took a long time to get over

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PenAndPaper

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The Scully inclusion makes sense in theory, but in practice it leaves me scratching my head.

"He's needed for his running ability" - What's the point of running around if you're not having any impact with the ball and your opponent knows this and pays you no respect?

"He's needed to counter Port's hard running..." - We need a bloke who is unable to lay a tackle and doesn't get out of second gear when running defensively?

He's old, broken and not part of the future. His running ability doesn't hurt anyone no matter how you want to write it.

#protecttheyoungsters
#persistwithexperiencebecausetheyknowthecrapgameplan
Are you actually saying Scully doesn't run hard defensively?

That's laughable, he is generally the one that has run to block up space when he can actually get there.

rei154

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think unlike the injuries we've copped, "the kids" entering the team won't be a rain = pours situation. We've got bulk games coming up in a short amount of time- we'll see plenty of all of em.

For those screaming out for Finn, a little birdie tells me that he will probably be in against Essendon or another "rivalry" style game before the end of the year.
That little birdie? Common sense.
I wouldn't be surprised if we saw one of our big mids out each week for the next few weeks; JOM this week, Titch/Shiels next, the other one out the one after. In that time we'll see Cuz, Finn, & Howe get a few games in a row each.

Tbh I'm most interested to see Jeka get a game at this point- such an interesting player.

kazzooka

Premiership Player
May 20, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Surely they could've found a way to squeeze Finn in. Has the frame to play (not that Will Day has anything to say about that), and will hopefully be a stalwart of our club for 10+ years.
Finn is certain to be at Hawthorn next season. We need to find out if Cousins, howe, Hartley and Hanrahan will be.

It seems like Moore, Minchinton possibly Nash are gone.

Morrison on thin ice i think . Dropped again, had plenty of opportunities this is his fourth year and to be honest he has been far from our worst most games but he just doesn't have enough weapons. Slower, shorter and weaker than most. Tidy but not exceptional skills. Weak in the contest and not damaging outside.

In a premiership side he is depth only.

thejockey

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2015
keilor
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Buffalo Bills, Boston Red Sox
I occasionally glance at the hawks Facebook group comments and if you thought this place was cuckoo, then you’ve seen nothing. People convinced that not only has Clarko lost it, but he’s “worse than Mark Neeld”.
Yep dont do that , real waste of time on the majority .
There is one really good one who do regular previews, reviews and get good guests (ex players) on weekly.

Slim pickings though

Apr 17, 2006
???
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins(NFL)
Are you actually saying Scully doesn't run hard defensively?

That's laughable, he is generally the one that has run to block up space when he can actually get there.
Same thought in 2005. 5 weeks later we were beating the previous years runners up (and the team that won the 3 before it)

I think unlike the injuries we've copped, "the kids" entering the team won't be a rain = pours situation. We've got bulk games coming up in a short amount of time- we'll see plenty of all of em.

For those screaming out for Finn, a little birdie tells me that he will probably be in against Essendon or another "rivalry" style game before the end of the year.
That little birdie? Common sense.
I wouldn't be surprised if we saw one of our big mids out each week for the next few weeks; JOM this week, Titch/Shiels next, the other one out the one after. In that time we'll see Cuz, Finn, & Howe get a few games in a row each.

Tbh I'm most interested to see Jeka get a game at this point- such an interesting player.
Doubt we’ll be seeing JOM again this year, and there’s a query on Toms shoulder.

Mrzohs

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
As Abasi has pointed out 10 players under 25.
We need a good look at Glass,Cj,Howe,Cousins,Hartley some of them wont make the cut next yr with Nash,Morrison.

I think Hanrahan can put a good show he does alot right but his errors kills him. Can create around the middle

Finn,Walker,Jekka will come in for the last month with less experinced opponents

PhatHQ

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2015
Newcastle
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I know there is a lot of negativity. But here is my take. I am so happy that cuz got a go this year. He trains and plays his guts out every week. Maybe everyone else can follow his example.

Howe has had a wretched run with injury at least he gets a chance to fight for his place on the list.

Hoping hanrahan is this years lewis. Hopefully he comes back a better player after he was dropped.

Patton obviously needs games. The more he plays the better he will get imo

We might get a good look at our essendon recruit he comes in more out of necessity.

Scully still has something to offer and we need the run with smith and hendo missing and all that experience out of the side.

Those complaining about the other players that were left out they will come in over the coming weeks. Its going to happen we will see most if not all of our list before the season is over
Bang on there FP.
I’m pretty happy to see all of these guys again and keep introducing the “others” as the season comes to a close.
nothing to gain by throwing them all to the wolves at once. Honestly, I’m only looking to see Greaves, Moore and possibly Finn for the remainder of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back