Preview Round 13 2018: Geelong v Richmond | MCG, Sun Jun 17 3.20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just enjoy the ride and stop over thinking things.
I can't help it. Decades of losing from every conceivable position and having seasons turn pear shaped at any moment will do that to you. Well, they have to me anyway.
Were 9-3 and have won 4 of our last 6, 6 of last 8, 8 of last 10, i don't know what peoples expectations are but sheesh, did you not expect us to lose this year or hit a flat patch which every club goes through. Did you miss 2 weeks ago when we smashed the bombers by 12 goals.

9-3 2nd spot and best percentage in the league, at this stage i'll take that thanks and look forward to defeating the puddy tats on sunday.
I know all that, but when I see us lose the same way a couple of times in quick succession, I get angry and think the worst. The fear being of course that we'll have to travel interstate for a final and our form interstate doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

I know every team, even the good ones, have flat spots and drop the odd game here and there, but we wouldn't want to drop too many more. From 2/3 of the way through last year I believed we were the best team in it, and I still think the same, but we really need to beat a couple of contenders.

I'm a pessimistic and a cynic, but I always give credit when we win. I just don't give any credit when we play like s**t.

I'll be going on Sunday expecting us to play well and win...but thinking we could lose at any moment.

What's not to enjoy?

I'd have Prestia over Conca without even thinking hard about it. Prestia is an elite decision maker, Conca isn't.

I think it will be closer than that. Comes down to who takes their chances. Could be low scoring if wet.

Confident but we'd want to improve on last week, because if we bring that we'll get done.
Concas ranked 6th for total effective disposals, not to bad for someone who is so s**t when he gets the ball

Concas ranked 6th for total effective disposals, not to bad for someone who is so s**t when he gets the ball
I think most of what he does is fine, it's just that when he does turn it over (usually by foot) it's an absolute howler. He can play, but his kicking can be atrocious.

I think most of what he does is fine, it's just that when he does turn it over (usually by foot) it's an absolute howler. He can play, but his kicking can be atrocious.
Like all our players he does turn it over, and more often than not we only remember his stinkers more than Dusty's or Cotche's and i reckon the combination of 6th disp eff and 7th meters gained is a great combination for a mid tier or B+ player on our list. As long as he stays fit he is locked into the best 22 for this year at least.

It is an interesting interview with Alex Rance in the Stellar magazine in the Sunday Herald-Sun.
He mentions he never expected to play in a Grand Final in his career.
I guess he saw the highs and lows of football from his father, Murray, a former captain of the West Coast Eagles, who he mentions in the article.
I saw Alex at the Jack Dyer Medal night, he is one of the most naturally confident people I have seen.

You're the one that comes on here every week telling us you have no fear of losing.:think::D
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

learn this, live this

Round 13: Richmond v Geelong

View attachment 511124

Where: MCG
When: Sunday 3.20pm
TV: Fox Footy
Radio: Triple M, 3AW, SEN, ABC

HISTORY
Round 21 @ Simonds/GMHBA Stadium/Salty Park
View attachment 511122

Richmond made a meal of its opportunity to challenge for a top 2 spot and solidify it's top 4 spot against an injury-depleted Geelong side. The Big HT kicked 4 goals to put us on toast before Mots drowned us in his honey to seal a famous Cats victory

Qualifying final @ Geelong's home ground AKA the MCG
View attachment 511123
Despite the massive travel all the way from Geelong, fans turned up in their droves to witness Richmond throw approximately 27.3 monkeys off their back. The manic pressure was too much for Geelong, who were able to keep some control until the Tigers 7 goal last quarter blew them off the park
Highlights include the Astbury -> Martin -> Riewoldt -> Prestia goal which created a roar so loud it awoke the Richmond Tiger after it's 35 year slumber, and Trent Cotchin last quarter goal that defied not only the score review system but also the laws of physics.
View attachment 511121 View attachment 511120
Quick Trivia question: Who kicked 5 goals in the 2017 2nd Qualifying Final
Geelong

THE CONTEXT
Geelong has the opportunity to leapfrog Richmond with a win on Sunday.
For Richmond, a win will ensure an overall successful pre-bye 2018, taking them to 10-3 and likely a spot in the top 2 when we return from the bye, a near perfect platform for a push for B2B; while a loss takes us to 9-4 and put any premiership defence talks on hold until we can defeat a fellow contender
A win for Richmond should also quash any discussion that we cannot beat contenders away from home.

TIP
Richmond will know a win is vital this weekend, and will hopefully be buoyed by the return of key midfielder Dustin Martin, along with premiership small forward Daniel Rioli. I'm expecting us to cop a slight loss in the midfield battle, but our defence and forward line will pick up the slack for a tight 17pt win, with a couple of clutch goals from 'Mr September' Josh Caddy sealing victory.

And only 4 goals when you include current Geelong players. :tearsofjoy:

So were sheddas back in the day. With continuity he got better as will conca.
Edwards has more class. Not a knock on Conca by the way. How many in the team have equal or more sheer class than Edwards. Two? Maybe three?

Edwards has more class. Not a knock on Conca by the way. How many in the team have equal or more sheer class than Edwards. Two? Maybe three?
Not debating class. Its about using the ball. Edwards used to make shockers. Conca does. Martin even does. Concas missed a lot of games with injury with some continuity perhaps he can get better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not debating class. Its about using the ball. Edwards used to make shockers. Conca does. Martin even does. Concas missed a lot of games with injury with some continuity perhaps he can get better.
Yep. Fair enough. Hopefully he does. He's due a bit of luck with the injuries he's had, so hopefully he can lessen his clangers.

I realise they all make them. For some reason his seem to stand out more than most.

Edwards still makes the occasional shocker.

Last edited:
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

learn this, live this
Spoken like a true Sith Lord.

Yep. Fair enough. Hopefully he does. He's due a bit of luck with the injuries he's had, so hopefully he can lessen his clangers.

I realise they all make them. For some reason his seem to stand out more than most.

Edwards still makes t by email occasional shocker.
He is. Hopefully his run this year continues.

Haha yea remember edwards old shanks that went right angles or complete airys where he misses the ball :p

Sounds hypocritical to me and weird considering you're now questioning others with comments like the one below. Just bc you roll like that in backing us as winners with no real certainty with your opinion, it shouldn't deter others from having their own:

" i don't know what peoples expectations are but sheesh, did you not expect us to lose this year or hit a flat patch which every club goes through"

You know what your right, just because i feel a certain way doesn't mean others have to feel the same, sorry.

We are in good shape. But the excuses I'm seeing are worrying me a tad. Every time we lose it was because we were crap and nothing to do with opposition. Crows crap, Eagles crap, Port crap. If we lose this week I assume it will be the same excuses rolled out.

Sounds a bit like the opposition against us last year. In the second half of last including into finals the opposition played crap against us....lol
You forgot our biggest opposition excuse being the umpires:oops:.:p

learn this, live this
images

where is perth boy 87

bloke disappeared after we won the flag

i always enjoyed the fact that he went out of his way to post a huge list of stats every week

We've had no shortage of others step up in his absence to bombard us with stats.
Rolling coverage of CEllis' stats, which are made to look more impressive than Ablett Senior, Judd, Michael Jordan and Bradman in their prime, but still can't get a game.
I bet if you asked nice enough, Shazza, someone out there will have the stat on how many posters actually regularly post stats ;)

Geelong will probably try to replicate how they played against NM.
They started out of the blocks very quickly, playing Ablett in defence. Dangerfield in the forward line.
If they are in front then they move Dangerfield towards the midfield to secure the lead.
Ablett and Dangerfield have been prone to injuries and are vulnerable.
Dangerfield had a hip injury in the finals.
That is why I would like to see Graham crunch Ablett like he went to Sloane in the Grand Final.
I agree...flying start from the cats then an arm wrestle to the finish...
They love a lead...and do work to protect it...
They cannot afford a slow start against us...

Agree but reckon he gets told to go for the passes that would open up the game. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't
The funny thing about Conca and the fact we were a rabble when he first came into the team might have had something to do with it but initially he was one of our better skilled and decision makers in the side.

Since that time i must admit to cringing everytime he has ball in hand especially if coming from the back half as some of his brain explosions have to be seen to be believed. He is however generally good in close quarters inside packs where we have been struggling. He also at times can thread the needle to open up play albeit heart in the mouth stuff.

Some of his errors I have thought at times might have warranted the club utilising the AFL's association with OPSM and get him checked out for extreme colour blindness and or severe eyesight deterioration.

I think the key with Conca as far as coaches are concerned is to try and keep his role as simple as possible, comes across as a bit of a panic merchant at times but he has a few friends in that regard of late.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back