Review Round 13 - Gold Coast vs St. Kilda (Townsville)

Remove this Banner Ad

The Happy Idiot is spot on
If we win games this year we win (and lose) them by millimetres not metres
We're not a very good team- not the worst since Fitzroy in the 80's a la Matthew Lloyd but pretty sketchy nonetheless
It's wrong to think the boys aren't trying- of course they are- but unless we get success say goodbye to Rankine King and Lukosius not withstanding the supporter base drop-off
And losing all the time saps the players' self belief and encourages the half wits in the media south of the Murray
There's no miracle saviour arriving anytime soon so we just have to hope one of those millimetres is on our side of the fence sometime soon
Lukosius has shown zero development in the past few matches and should be rested and as mentioned I'm not sure what Powell's role is.
Safe to say he cost us at least 2 goals today but he looks the type to understand and learn from it
As mentioned GHS should be nowhere near our first team ever

Would have liked to see Weller on the ball today when we started to get smashed ... i know he is our distibutor/ quarterback whatever but we needed some pace in the middle.

Lynch spot on today saying we never get any “ easy goals” we fight n scrap for every point we get.

Super frustrating to watch that second half.

I just look at lions in 2018 - some close losses, some floggings, didn’t win a game til round 9 - now look at em. Every talked up their competitiveness (like us this year) but needed the maturity to finish them off.

A lot can change and we don’t even see the half of it in the stands or on Telly.

In the meantime the neighbors will just have to put up with my frustration at the TV.

I see a lot more improvement in the 1-4 year players, the three state league additions etc moving forward.
Thompson is a new recruit next year.
Add another 3 top shelf kids and 1-2 academy kids and we'll be fine.
9 years of losing takes it's toll I agree but there's plenty of light at the end of the tunnel. The comp is pretty even and we're not that far behind teams just outside the 8.
I'm also not concerned with player retention in an early rebuild. Our first crack saw every single player (apart from pea heart Caddy) happy to sign a 2nd contract or extend their first during it.
The young kids seem to love the place (and who wouldn't) and that's all I'm hearing from them so far. It's when you're 5-6 years into a build and nothing seems to happen that players then miss their family, or return for religious reasons... Scrim left because he wasn't getting a game and also because we didn't rate him. These kids are generally playing and not losing by 120 points like the past 2 years.

6 games out of 13 decided by a kick. Push Geelong and also West Coast in Perth. I'd take it if it was offered at the start off the year.

Corey Ellis' 19 possessions were the 4th highest in his 28 game career.
Picked the wrong option on occasion - one handball to someone who was immediately tackled the glaring memory.
Seems like a reasonable ball user out of the back half though.

Wouldn't say it was a great game, but certainly something to build on.

I'd really love Cal Ah Chee to get a run at it in the last half of this year.
Play him half forward.

Looked strong, fast, clean yesterday.
Of his 16 possessions, 15 were effective, 9 were contested
Was in our top 5 metres gained.
That broken tackle which lead to Wrights first goal showed excellent strength.

Does some great things for our side when he's on.
One of my favourites.

Few points.. to often king was one out target,or Powell would of enjoyed seeing sexton that man..

Any idea why Brodie is scared to kick the pill?
GHS looks like a tree on the ground.
Ellis worked into it well 19 touches is more then GHS has had all year..

I see a lot more improvement in the 1-4 year players, the three state league additions etc moving forward.
9 years of losing takes it's toll I agree but there's plenty of light at the end of the tunnel. The comp is pretty even and we're not that far behind teams just outside the 8.
I'm also not concerned with player retention in an early rebuild. Our first crack saw every single player (apart from pea heart Caddy) happy to sign a 2nd contract or extend their first during it.
The young kids seem to love the place (and who wouldn't) and that's all I'm hearing from them so far. It's when you're 5-6 years into a build and nothing seems to happen that players then miss their family, or return for religious reasons... Scrim left because he wasn't getting a game and also because we didn't rate him. These kids are generally playing and not losing by 120 points like the past 2 years.

6 games out of 13 decided by a kick. Push Geelong and also West Coast in Perth. I'd take it if it was offered at the start off the year.
Tell it to Robbo, Sandy and his kids, they will say you repackage last year paragraph and resell it. At least last year can blamed on travel and China for the scoreline. Players look happy, of course they are, they get paid AFL wages compare to state league players , worse can scenario after 2- 4 year request transfer like Saad, may, omeara, scrimshaw Lynch.
Every players agent already prepare for it.

I just look at lions in 2018 - some close losses, some floggings, didn’t win a game til round 9 - now look at em. Every talked up their competitiveness (like us this year) but needed the maturity to finish them off.

A lot can change and we don’t even see the half of it in the stands or on Telly.

In the meantime the neighbors will just have to put up with my frustration at the TV.
But Brisbane NEAFL/ development team played Final regularly in September .

But Brisbane NEAFL/ development team playing Final regularly. GCS youth on holiday.

Last edited:

Improvement in 2019? Sure but the harsh reality is we are not winning those close games and people love to support winners - particularly kids! The biggest issue after retention of players is retention of young supporters. We are now in danger of losing a generation of kid supporters who just don't get club loyalty and suffering to support your team - they just like winners. In my immediate sphere I know of young kids who have moved to the Lions, Hawks, Eagles and some who have stopped supporting outright. The reality is we are not yet a team in AFL terms - it's an embryonic version of what we hopefully will be in a few years time, once we get bigger, better and more experienced players in the side. Too many kids who clearly have ability but cannot and never will be able to shovel the whole load. Priority right now is to extend the contracts of Luko, Rankine and King and then look to do deals (even if it means trading some of the older kids) to get the experience and talent we desperately need. Looking to the last games of this year and barring any upsets, only Carlton and Essendon (possibly Hawthorn), would seem to be winnable and the boys need to win at least 1 or even 2 more to go into 2020 with some glimmer of hope. We're definitely better but no where close to where we need to be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I will say that I thought Joyce played one of his better games yesterday for the year. Came off his man to impact the contest. Mostly a good kick. Just needs to avoid trying to thread the needle with 30m kicks every now and then (leading to turn overs). Generally though played well. In fact, I thought most of our backs did really well under such limited pressure entries from the Saints. They've been going well all year. Just need another KPD in there to help Hombsch.

If I want to give excuses, Sam Day play well consider this is his first AFL match this season , Joyce pretty good because nobody else available in Neafl to replace him anyway so turn a blind eye on his mistake that swing momentum . Ballard as third round pick I can't fault his mistake too much, Ah chee perform as good as Brodie last match. GHS need to do a Risca and turn back the clock in Neafl.

*living in denial and what if.

Tell it to Robbo, Sandy and his kids, they will say you repackage last year paragraph and resell it. At least last year can blamed on travel and China for the scoreline. Players look happy, of course they are, they get paid AFL wages compare to state league players , worse can scenario after 2- 4 year request transfer like Saad, may, omeara, scrimshaw Lynch.
Every players agent already prepare for it.
Nah not really. I totally understand their frustration of supporting us for 9 years and I get incredibly frustrated losing close games too.
I was criticised for being really negative on here for years and I was. That’s because we were under resourced, poorly run and made countless strange decisions at draft time. We were treated as a social club by the players, not a professional football club.
But if you can’t see how this club has turned things around recently then I’m surprised. The injury list is still a real issue and if this is improved then of course it goes a long way towards on field results and better NEAFL teams selected.
Fiorini, Bowes, Darcy Mac, Powell, Ainsworth, Weller, Ballard, Brodie are the future of the club. Who out of that lot have not improved this year?

I personally remain encouraged.

Seems like most of the club is going in the one direction. And we have a real chance to finish out the season being pretty competitive. Also, Rankine.

At least when we do a review of most of the first 13 games there is something to work with. Lots to learn for the young guys in both the close wins and the close losses. A lot more than a standard 44 point loss when we are out of it after 10 minutes.

We have the worst midfield in the comp though, which makes it hard. If we can draft a young gun mid this year that would help (please!!!).

Nah not really. I totally understand their frustration of supporting us for 9 years and I get incredibly frustrated losing close games too.
I was criticised for being really negative on here for years and I was. That’s because we were under resourced, poorly run and made countless strange decisions at draft time. We were treated as a social club by the players, not a professional football club.
But if you can’t see how this club has turned things around recently then I’m surprised. The injury list is still a real issue and if this is improved then of course it goes a long way towards on field results and better NEAFL teams selected.
Fiorini, Bowes, Darcy Mac, Powell, Ainsworth, Weller, Ballard, Brodie are the future of the club. Who out of that lot have not improved this year?
I can understand you bring up those name, apart from Darcy Mac from Rookie list and Ballard pick 40+. Players you mention are all top 30 pick with f iull time training, if they don't improve it is either the club pick the wrong players or the set up is wrong. I am not negative but peoples need to wait until end of the season to analyst improvement.show some result ( eg Neafl Team scrap into final) , not based on Mouth service. You just can't force kids to self denial, they are being honest what they saw.

Last edited:
With our best team or near enough to it, I’m confident with the improvement this year we’re competitive against anyone. If we just had Ainsworth, Bowes and Rankine playing yesterday we probably would’ve won. Saints got over us with that extra run and skill we were missing. As we know it’s getting close to our best team on the field which continues to be our issue. Beef up our depth, especially through the midfield for 2020 and hopefully with some injury luck, we’ll start to see more wins. Not confident there’s much more to look forward to this year however.

It would be great to see us winning games but I think there is plenty of upside to our situation at the moment. We are missing at least 8 of our best 18 but this has allowed the likes of Day and Brodie to get a game and tbh playing Brodie for the rest of the season could be the difference to us retaining him or losing him.
For talls both king and lukosius are doing very well for first year players and we’ve still got Rankine to play. The top end of the draft last year was more talls whereas this year is more midfielders so hopefully we can get a good one at the end of the year.
I can’t see any of our mature age pickups either from the compo last year or other clubs being in our future best 18 apart from Collins and maybe Miles. I’m all for getting games into the likes of Ah Chee, Lemmens (when fit), Powell, Brodie and hopefully Scheer. Obviously there’s a tipping point with too many young players out there but I hope they play as many of them as they can on the back end of the season. Next year our list will push into a much better age demographic.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mid's, mids, more mids. Somehow, some way, the power-brokers at the club (and the AFL) need to work out a way to get us a couple of b+-grade mids. Not superstars of the game, but dependable week-in week-out types.

If the first phase of this rebuild has been about building team unity and effort, then it's still a pass for me. But next year will be ugly if we can't help our key position players develop by controlling the play with some quality ball movers.

I don't have a clue how that happens. If we go fishing in the pond that delivered GHS, then it's a huge worry.
B grade mids, That was supposed to be Miles and Ellis

No decent help is coming, why would they. We are as bad as we have ever been

GCS suppose to use Ablett, Matera, Saad second/ third Rd round pick to select decent players like Ballard or touk type not trade it away.
St kilda mature ages pick up is not bad either - callum Wilkie and hind rookie list, Robbie young and Parker late third /fourth Rd pick.

It would be great to see us winning games but I think there is plenty of upside to our situation at the moment. We are missing at least 8 of our best 18 but this has allowed the likes of Day and Brodie to get a game and tbh playing Brodie for the rest of the season could be the difference to us retaining him or losing him.
For talls both king and lukosius are doing very well for first year players and we’ve still got Rankine to play. The top end of the draft last year was more talls whereas this year is more midfielders so hopefully we can get a good one at the end of the year.
I can’t see any of our mature age pickups either from the compo last year or other clubs being in our future best 18 apart from Collins and maybe Miles. I’m all for getting games into the likes of Ah Chee, Lemmens (when fit), Powell, Brodie and hopefully Scheer. Obviously there’s a tipping point with too many young players out there but I hope they play as many of them as they can on the back end of the season. Next year our list will push into a much better age demographic.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Collins has been excellent til getting injured. I've been really happy with Miles. Corbett could be anything if he can get his kicking right. Burgess could go either way. Hombsch was a great pickup as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back