Review Round 13 - Gold Coast vs St. Kilda (Townsville)

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Alex Sexton now 4th most scoring shots in the league this year.
With a conversion % around average he would have kicked 28-32 goals so far.
The extra 5 or so goals across the year could have come in handy!

0 goals, 2 behinds in the 1 point loss to Melbourne
1 goal, 1 behind in the 4 point loss to St Kilda

Happy Idiot

All Australian
Oct 12, 2011
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
B grade mids, That was supposed to be Miles and Ellis

No decent help is coming, why would they. We are as bad as we have ever been

Miles has probably been what we expected/needed at this point, Ellis who knows, and GHS is a complete bust. But really, I see Miles as c-grade. Dependable, and hard at it, probably a good role model.

No decent help is coming, why would they? Because they are invested in this too. Part of the retention/attraction problem lays at their feet and they still have an open market for the taking here. The question should be why wouldn't they try and persuade someone who fits needs to take on the job? Under the table deals, sure, I'm keen. Fix s**t.

Get us quality on field marshall (aging perhaps, ala Hodge) who can get/distribute the ball and teach our players, and one mature, quality ball winner/user. AND keep the team fit.

Simples.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Yeah I agree our pickups have been well worth it.

Collins, Hombsch, Miles have all been worthy of a spot in the top team

Murdoch has had his moments - positive and negative

Ellis will get a chance

I'd dare say Corbett would still be in the team had he kicked 7.3 rather than 3.7

Burgess looks like a miss as does GHS

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
B grade mids, That was supposed to be Miles and Ellis

No decent help is coming, why would they. We are as bad as we have ever been
Those pair are definitely C graders

B graders for me are
- Brad Crouch, David Zaharakis, Ed Langdon, Luke Dahlhaus, Dom Sheed

Seventeener

Debutant
Jun 16, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Those pair are definitely C graders

B graders for me are
- Brad Crouch, David Zaharakis, Ed Langdon, Luke Dahlhaus, Dom Sheed
Respectfully, you have to be kidding. Miles compares quite favourably with any on this list and had a solid game yesterday. Ellis hasn't had the chance to play much, yet after only 3 NEAFL appearances he was selected to play this game and had similar numbers and impact as Harbrow.

Seventeener

Debutant
Jun 16, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Alex Sexton now 4th most scoring shots in the league this year.
With a conversion % around average he would have kicked 28-32 goals so far.
The extra 5 or so goals across the year could have come in handy!

0 goals, 2 behinds in the 1 point loss to Melbourne
1 goal, 1 behind in the 4 point loss to St Kilda
Wishful thinking. Better to ask that Sexton get more involved and actually play to his averages across the board, such as his tackling, disposals, 1%ers, and goal assists are down. Expecting him to not have his shot at goal tipped or scoring more goals when he is top 10 in the Coleman just isn't realistic.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Respectfully, you have to be kidding. Miles compares quite favourably with any on this list and had a solid game yesterday. Ellis hasn't had the chance to play much, yet after only 3 NEAFL appearances he was selected to play this game and had similar numbers and impact as Harbrow.

hahaha, please.

No I am not kidding.
I don't think anyone who observes football with ANY degree of objectivity would take Miles ahead of any of those guys.
Neither he nor Ellis could get a game at their former club. Miles has now been traded twice, for essentially nothing.
GC got Ellis and Miles together for a 3rd round pick

Bulldogs got 2nd round compensation for Dahlhaus
Most are talking about a late first for Langdon on the trading board
Crouch averaging 31 disposals and kicked 9 goals this year
Zaharakis has received 23 brownlow votes the last 3 years
Sheed is a playing his first good year - 27 disposals, 11 goals.

Welcome back.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Wishful thinking. Better to ask that Sexton get more involved and actually play to his averages across the board, such as his tackling, disposals, 1%ers, and goal assists are down. Expecting him to not have his shot at goal tipped or scoring more goals when he is top 10 in the Coleman just isn't realistic.

You want me to go back and tally up the number of times I have lamented his tackle numbers on this board?
I made a comment on one aspect of his play this year not a fully comprehensive assessment of his performance.

I don't think its unreasonable to wish Alex had a better conversion % - he also talks about this himself in interviews this year.
He is 19th out of the top 20 goal kickers with respect to this.

He has previously been good at this aspect of the game. Just a few let downs this year.

Seventeener

Debutant
Jun 16, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
You want me to go back and tally up the number of times I have lamented his tackle numbers on this board?
I made a comment on one aspect of his play this year not a fully comprehensive assessment of his performance.

I don't think its unreasonable to wish Alex had a better conversion % - he also talks about this himself in interviews this year.
He is 19th out of the top 20 goal kickers with respect to this.

He has previously been good at this aspect of the game. Just a few let downs this year.
Sexton's goal kicking accuracy has always been low, but it goes with the position. Toby Greene is only slightly more accurate at 60% to 58% and they are the same age with similar experience. If anything, Secco is getting more goals because he's been given licence to have more of a crack and his average percentage is down by only 3% but he is scoring at almost 2 goals a game compared to almost 1 goal a game. This year, Sexton is doubling Greene's goals per game and there are many wiser heads than me noticing his skills. Better and more frequent delivery inside 50 is what he needs.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Yep, I tell you if I'm on the match committee any of those players get a start ahead of Miles.

I like Miles, we need him right now, but he's just a notch below.
SSadly those players don't want to come to GCS, so match committee got no chance to select them ahead of Miles.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Sexton's goal kicking accuracy has always been low, but it goes with the position. Toby Greene is only slightly more accurate at 60% to 58% and they are the same age with similar experience. If anything, Secco is getting more goals because he's been given licence to have more of a crack and his average percentage is down by only 3% but he is scoring at almost 2 goals a game compared to almost 1 goal a game. This year, Sexton is doubling Greene's goals per game and there are many wiser heads than me noticing his skills. Better and more frequent delivery inside 50 is what he needs.
He’s doing a great job. Clearly his best year. No doubt about that.

Obviously playing in a better team with cleaner more consistent forward entries would help.

Was going at 59.1% prior to this year (71 goals, 49 behinds)

Going at 54.5% this year (24 goals, 20)

Yes position is a strong influencer - Charlie Cameron is the only one behind sexton for goal efficiency of the top 20.

Be interesting to see was sextons set shot conversion % is.

In saying that Walters, papley, Breust, Ablett, Rohan, matera, Stephenson, Lloyd, AMT all clearly >60% conversion.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sun Stormer

Mature Age Recruit
Jul 27, 2018
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Yep, I tell you if I'm on the match committee any of those players get a start ahead of Miles.

I like Miles, we need him right now, but he's just a notch below.
I also like Miles and he's provided a small amount of what is needed in the guts BUT he certainly doesn't rank anywhere near those listed in the earlier post. Patience and some smart thinking and we'll hopefully get a couple of really experienced players to add to the younger kids - and as I always keep saying, extend contracts on Rankine, Luko and King. Time is running out before we are into 2020 with our familiar 'are they, aren't they' scenario clouding all the positive vibe that a new season brings. Club is very quiet on how things are going with negotiations?

Jul 11, 2006
Chermside
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
See Below
Yeah I agree our pickups have been well worth it.

Collins, Hombsch, Miles have all been worthy of a spot in the top team

Murdoch has had his moments - positive and negative

Ellis will get a chance

I'd dare say Corbett would still be in the team had he kicked 7.3 rather than 3.7

Burgess looks like a miss as does GHS
I agree with this, The majority of the pickups this year have been hits to one degree or another.

Unfortunate about GHS and Murdoch but you can't win em all. Anyone that expects otherwise is kidding themselves.

Not to rehash any previous points on the Sexton stuff but he strikes me as what they call in basketball a "volume shooter" where if he jacks up enough 3's they're going to go through at a constant enough clip to be beneficial to the team but he struggles like our talls do through the sub-standard forward line entries we're currently getting. Coupled with the fact that coaches are now gameplanning for him, It's his next evolution as a player to be able to get around these tactics and get back on the scoreboard more consistently.

While the loss from so far up is gutting; I think we'd all have preferred the results we've been getting as opposed to the bulk 100 point thrashings we were expected to have had at the beginning of the season. The first four rounds or so spoiled us a little bit and while we've come crashing down to earth a bit since then I think if we went back to the start of the year and offered this up to the posters of this board we'd all have taken it with both hands.

This was never supposed to be a one year turn around. Let's look at our neighbours to the north for inspiration. There is light at the end of the tunnel if you choose to see it, Rather than surround yourself with the darkness.

Dec 5, 2015
Bueng Kan,Thailand
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I agree with this, The majority of the pickups this year have been hits to one degree or another.

Unfortunate about GHS and Murdoch but you can't win em all. Anyone that expects otherwise is kidding themselves.

Not to rehash any previous points on the Sexton stuff but he strikes me as what they call in basketball a "volume shooter" where if he jacks up enough 3's they're going to go through at a constant enough clip to be beneficial to the team but he struggles like our talls do through the sub-standard forward line entries we're currently getting. Coupled with the fact that coaches are now gameplanning for him, It's his next evolution as a player to be able to get around these tactics and get back on the scoreboard more consistently.

While the loss from so far up is gutting; I think we'd all have preferred the results we've been getting as opposed to the bulk 100 point thrashings we were expected to have had at the beginning of the season. The first four rounds or so spoiled us a little bit and while we've come crashing down to earth a bit since then I think if we went back to the start of the year and offered this up to the posters of this board we'd all have taken it with both hands.

This was never supposed to be a one year turn around. Let's look at our neighbours to the north for inspiration. There is light at the end of the tunnel if you choose to see it, Rather than surround yourself with the darkness.

You'll only see the light at the end of the tunnel if you're looking forward....

If you're looking back, all you'll get is a sore neck...

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
As frustrating as it is I will be sticking with the Suns but after 10 years and little to show for it and still years away from being a finals side the AFL and the Suns have really ****ed this up badly

Habitually losing sides tend to stay that way, with only short runs of great football, look at the history of the Saints, Roos, Dogs etc and its tale of failure.

Some clubs have turned it around like the Hawks but even with there great run in the 70-80s they where a few votes away from being a logo on a Melbourne jumper when they started losing.

Last edited:

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
As frustrating as it is I will be sticking with the Suns but after 10 years and little to show for it and still years away from being a finals side the AFL and the Suns have really ****** this up badly

Habitually losing sides tend to stay that way, with only short runs of great football, look at the history of the Saints, Roos, Dogs etc and its tale of failure.

Some clubs have turned it around like the Hawks but even with there great run in the 70-80s they where a few votes away from being a logo on a Melbourne jumper when they started losing.
Is quite normal to demand result, Richmond Hardwick before their flag, Fremantle Ross Lyon after their lost to GCS, But to GCS fan it is ok because of GWS, Umpire, injuries and young squad.
If so and so available GCS should win the match. GWS sold Kennedy and settle field for a second Rd pick and yet GCS sold Scrimshaw for 4th round pick and Kk basically free.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
Is quite normal to demand result, Richmond Hardwick before their flag, Fremantle Ross Lyon after their lost to GCS, But to GCS fan it is ok because of GWS, Umpire, injuries and young squad.
If so and so available GCS should win the match. GWS sold Kennedy and settle field for a second Rd pick and yet GCS sold Scrimshaw for 4th round pick and Kk basically free.
Yes we have let some players go very cheaply, I can only assume the club was happy to see them go but still that could of fought harder on price considering we seem to over pay when it’s the other way around

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Yes we have let some players go very cheaply, I can only assume the club was happy to see them go but still that could of fought harder on price considering we seem to over pay when it’s the other way around
Is so hard to squeeze Geelong and Essendon to gave second Rd pick for ablett and Saad and Craig Cameron just trade it away like no value to Brisbane and Eagles. I think GWS make the right move to let Craig Cameron move to GCS, I can't see him better that Clayton. Collins is a free pick from AFL assistance , Hombsch Port don't actually need him.

Murdoch and GHS - 3 years retirement fund package
Miles and Ellis - decent deal just exchange third Rd pick. One perform OK and Ellis still young and already play one afl game with GCS compare to Wigg.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Rams, 76's, Brewers
That's because no one wanted Scrimshaw, and KK was not going to be offered another contract. They're both hardly setting the world on fire.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
That's because no one wanted Scrimshaw, and KK was not going to be offered another contract. They're both hardly setting the world on fire.
Did setterfield and Kennedy set GWS on fire in Neafl before they moved to Carlton?
Settlefield hardly play because of injury, Kennedy don't remember he set the world on fire also.The only different is GWS NEAFL team hardly went below GCS on the ladder (2017 wooden spoon exception ) after 2016 neafl Flag,

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Rams, 76's, Brewers
Did setterfield and Kennedy set GWS on fire in Neafl before they moved to Carlton?
Settlefield hardly play because of injury, Kennedy don't remember he set the world on fire also.The only different is GWS NEAFL team hardly went below GCS on the ladder (2017 wooden spoon exception ) after 2016 neafl Flag,
I was talking about the two ex Suns since they left.
Carlton are notorious for paying overs for GWS rejects. SOS drafted them the first time and refuses to believe he got it wrong.

Feb 27, 2005
Port Augusta
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
QPR
You’re so hell bent on this assumption that having a reserve powerhouse is what it takes to succeed in the AFL , look at Adelaide’s reserve, since they got a reserves team they’ve very rarely showed any signs of success in the sanfl, (this year being their strongest) Port Adelaide the same (let’s not point out their strengths prior to being considered the reserves team)
Yes having a full list to chose from and success in the reserves would be nice, but it’s hardly the number one priority.

Seventeener

Debutant
Jun 16, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
You’re so hell bent on this assumption that having a reserve powerhouse is what it takes to succeed in the AFL , look at Adelaide’s reserve, since they got a reserves team they’ve very rarely showed any signs of success in the sanfl, (this year being their strongest) Port Adelaide the same (let’s not point out their strengths prior to being considered the reserves team)
Yes having a full list to chose from and success in the reserves would be nice, but it’s hardly the number one priority.

I definitely subscribe to the idea that a strong NEAFL side will translate into strong senior results. Firstly, Dew hasn't been able to apply a strict form first selection policy this year because of the rebuild, so he's only used 33 players and only that many because of injury. Meanwhile, 54 players have been required in the NEAFL team over only 10 games to cover injury and promotion as well as Academy players limited availability. On the weekend, Rischa led the Baby Suns with 18 teenagers to victory over the Premiers. Within a couple of weeks there could be 9 listed players returning from injury, which will make the senior side AND the NEAFL side far stronger and getting close to the ideal position of coaches being able to select the best teams available instead of making the best out of what is available and clinging to a failing selection policy of playing a quota of experienced bodies alongside the talented immature bodies.

In round 3 of the NAB League, I heard the Academy boys after beating the Lions singing the club song with a passion that gave me goose bumps. The 7 best players from that game were playing on Saturday along with 5 U19 NEAFL boys and the 11 AFL players from the bottom of the list. The played for the jersey, for each other and the brand was Suns footy. The NEAFL side that beat Sydney last year when the senior team won too was a similar mix of players and were as much a part of the club's success that day as the seniors.

I also like Miles and he's provided a small amount of what is needed in the guts BUT he certainly doesn't rank anywhere near those listed in the earlier post. Patience and some smart thinking and we'll hopefully get a couple of really experienced players to add to the younger kids - and as I always keep saying, extend contracts on Rankine, Luko and King. Time is running out before we are into 2020 with our familiar 'are they, aren't they' scenario clouding all the positive vibe that a new season brings. Club is very quiet on how things are going with negotiations?

King and Rankine have both stated privately and publicly that they are stoked with life on the Gold Coast and want to extend. Lukosius less so, but he is getting the most games and has had the greatest progression, so who knows where his head is at. I think the major thing to bear in mind is that there are a tonne of contracts yet to be determined, so while it sucks not to know about some players until September, once all the core extensions are done then the hard decisions will come. Gentle reminder = Ainsworth, Bowes, Brodie and Scrimshaw were signed to 4 year deals and the latter was shopped around after 2 years.

Back