Autopsy Round 13 = Melbourne 66-62 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree. I can't wait to meet an over confident Melbourne with a healthy squad including JDG, Steele etc.

And I just wish the next game against the Lions was at the G, not at Marvel.
As much as everyone seems to think hes worthless seemingly, Im confident McStay will straighten us up alot too. Have a look at how we played against Port when he was playing and the flow on effect to Checkers and the other forwards. Hes our bullocking forward we desperately need. IMO

As much as everyone seems to think hes worthless seemingly, Im confident McStay will straighten us up alot too. Have a look at how we played against Port when he was playing and the flow on effect to Checkers and the other forwards. Hes our bullocking forward we desperately need. IMO
Exactly. Our forward structure in the first 2 rounds was how Fly envisaged it when he recruited McStay. Our smalls relished it. And Checkers didn't have to be the solo big man. AND, we kicked 40 goals over those 2 matches.

The Melbourne loss knocked my confidence. With Brisbane, that’s two of the top four sides that have beaten us. I can’t see how that’s not a big red flag.

Brisbane at the Gabba are an 8 goal better side. The touched us up in a 15 min period. If things go well, we'll get them on the G in September and run them off their feet.

Melbourne were absolutely primed for Kings Bday. We've had the wood on them recently and they had to win to stay in touch with the top 2. Combined with 4-5 key outs for us and if you want to believe it, the flu running rampant through the club, we were ripe for the picking.

Unlike previous years, there isn't a team that genuinely scares me, all things being equal. We've got improvement to come and as others have said, it's all about peaking at the right time.

Exactly. Our forward structure in the first 2 rounds was how Fly envisaged it when he recruited McStay. Our smalls relished it. And Checkers didn't have to be the solo big man. AND, we kicked 40 goals over those 2 matches.
I think McStay will help. But in those first few games opposition weren't protecting the corridor against us and we were storming straight through the middle with handball chains over and over again.

images
That's our current football director right there

You're reminding me of my first trip to India, when dental floss didn't exist over there and I hadn't learned to pack it. Could never get good enough with a toothpick to get out everything. Food slowly rotting between my teeth. Thinking I'd acquire the brown paan stained and missing teeth of so many over there, I learnt to floss with the plastic strip that you pull off when opening a cigarette packet.
Yeah I've used the same plastic strip. Dog poo bags are also quite good as substitute floss - unused ones of course. I recall flossing in my seat on an Indian train, and a hand followed by an arm passing between the seats from behind with a toothpick clutched between fingers being offered. The person obviously thought little of my floss and was providing what she thought to be a better cleanser.

Last edited:
Rewatching the game and notice how Gawns patrols the Center square. He doesn’t go to the wings often. He doesn’t necessarily even follow a ruckman.

He allows Tomlinson, May & Lever to be occupy the wings. He plays in the Center square and then either pushes forward or drops back depending where the ball is.

Rewatching the game and notice how Gawns patrols the Center square. He doesn’t go to the wings often. He doesn’t necessarily even follow a ruckman.

He allows Tomlinson, May & Lever to be occupy the wings. He plays in the Center square and then either pushes forward or drops back depending where the ball is.

So, he plays ruck?

The Melbourne loss knocked my confidence. With Brisbane, that’s two of the top four sides that have beaten us. I can’t see how that’s not a big red flag.
I think those two matches just flag that we can improve against certain tactics. We weren’t at our best against both those teams but I think we will adjust. We were also missing some pretty good players v Melbourne in JDG, Sidey, Elliott and you could possibly include McStay and Ginn. That’s not taking away from the fact that Brisbane and Dees played well and pressured us to good effect. Keep the faith Vicky👍.

I think those two matches just flag that we can improve against certain tactics. We weren’t at our best against both those teams but I think we will adjust. We were also missing some pretty good players v Melbourne in JDG, Sidey, Elliott and you could possibly include McStay and Ginn. That’s not taking away from the fact that Brisbane and Dees played well and pressured us to good effect. Keep the faith Vicky👍.
Agree - far better to have 10 weeks to build a strategy against these tactics, than be exposed, and lose a cut throat final.

...I think we missed a trick but rucking Cameron for the majority of the game. Coxy seems to thrive as the no.1 ruck and i think we need to push him in there more often and Cameron goes forward. He has good hands and we need him to hit the scoreboard. I have no doubt he's still finding full fitness and will hit his straps later in the year...
Do you think this was an oversight or morelike a strategy not to show our hand too much with Cox as the centre square ruck? It might change a lot of things if Cox starts there and we don't want to give them too much of a sniff.

Mind you, it's where Cox taps to which is the ultimate test. They might still be better at anticipating that. Who knows.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think people forget that McStay's role isn't to kick bags every week but cause problems for defenders.

I have no reason to lie. I didn’t even say anything crazy.

The crazy part was something else which I won’t mention publicly.
Just joking - nothing personal - PS- audio will do

The crazy part was something else which I won’t mention publicly.
The umpires were there and showed you the Brownlow votes? Told you they love Jack Ginnivan?

Last edited:
Well, sort of. But if your intent is to punch someone in the head but you miss and fall to the ground yourself, should you be suspended? Probably not.

Penalty should based on intent IF the outcome is a consequence of that intent. That's how the law works I think, mostly. You intend to his someone and miss -- you're fine. You hit someone, don't intend to kill them but DO kill them, you are up for manslaughter not murder.
My mum used to work with a lovely old guy called Alan McGowan. He played for the Melbourne Football Club and later Collingwood.

He broke into the Melbourne side late in the year and lined up in a winning Preliminary Final team in just his fourth game. During the game he swung and completely missed punching an Essendon opponent, and he was suspended for 2 games for attempted striking and missed both the 1948 Grand Final which was drawn and the replay a week later that Melbourne subsequently won.

Very harsh penalty. Had he been suspended for one game, good karma would have meant he played in the winning GF. So much for the rough, tough, hard footy of the day back then when footballers got away with murder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back