Universal Love Round 13 (Pies win, farewell Bucks)

Remove this Banner Ad

Very emotional day, I wasn't expecting it, but I was just really emotional in the lead up, the pre-game media. Throughout the game itself, I didn't dare let myself hope we could win it for Bux, but I wanted it badly. Could hardly stand to watch it in the last quarter and in the end, I did tear up. Will take some adjusting to, Collingwood without the great man there. However, he went out like the true champion he is and what a great day for our younger players, we are building no doubt about that.

Always wished we'd win in the last game of Bucks' season with a trophy being presented onfield - just a shame it wasn't the premiership he deserved.

Dusted off my childhood Spicer's Paper jersey with the number 5 on the back for the game, and proudly shed a tear at the end.

A fitting performance to send off a champion.

Eerily peaceful way to finish his time at Collingwood - you get the sense everyone was quite content with the decision that was made. I'm talking players, coaches, admin staff etc.

I've never known a Collingwood without Nathan Buckley. It'll be strange, but it's an exciting new chapter in our Club's history.

Thank-you for everything, Nathan.

Eerily peaceful way to finish his time at Collingwood - you get the sense everyone was quite content with the decision that was made. I'm talking players, coaches, admin staff etc.

I've never known a Collingwood without Nathan Buckley. It'll be strange, but it's an exciting new chapter in our Club's history.

I think the way it ended is about the best we could have hoped for in the circumstances.

It's going to be a big adjustment period for all of us with him no longer being there. Hopefully once the next coach is announced, we'll feel a sense of renewed optimism and excitement for the new era ahead.

No We have made a big difference in the way we have gone about it, ill trust my judgement on that one, even with Nicky R in your corner.
Thanks for the input though. :thumbsu:

Disagree. Amazing what happens when your work rate comes up to the required level. Still very much defence first but improving on the spread and the offensive running.

Just collected 51 gorillas on big Max Lynch to accumulate 7+ possessions and I still haven't broken even on the gorillas I offloaded on big Mason Cox to snag the first sausage roll at 51 over the yrs and that re.

Unbelievable.

its illegal to trade in wild animals..

Yep I've been in the camp calling for a change just because we do need new ideas and new philosophies.

Have nothing but respect for Buckley. Just absolute class. Compare his exit to Malthouse.

Will always be Collingwood through and through. Was so glad I could be there for his final pies game.

have a feeling we will be very flat for rest of year... and maybe into next. Lot of emotion today that wont be replicated for quite a while.

Plus the uncertainty of whats ahead.

Need a quality person to come in if theyre going to win this playing group over. As well as making elite decisions about the makeup of this team, its development, and how we play going forward...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think people are getting worked up over "he lost the players" idea and that this game and the scenes that followed proved he didn't. Losing the players doesn't necessarily mean that they wanted him gone, or didn't like him as a person or coach, it's just that he was no longer able to motivate them to give maximum effort. To me, this game shows that. Across the board the effort and intensity lifted to a level that we haven't seen since the Elimination Final last year. For whatever reason, probably just time, Buckley couldn't extract that (or anything close to it) often enough.

Most of you have probably changed jobs or had a new manager at some point. Inevitably your effort lifts as you need to prove yourself all over again. Footy players are no different.

As for the man himself, Bucks is a bloody legend. So glad we could send him off with a win. Gave his everything to the club and showed true class the way he bowed out (as did the club in the way they handled it).

I think people are getting worked up over "he lost the players" idea and that this game and the scenes that followed proved he didn't. Losing the players doesn't necessarily mean that they wanted him gone, or didn't like him as a person or coach, it's just that he was no longer able to motivate them to give maximum effort. To me, this game shows that. Across the board the effort and intensity lifted to a level that we haven't seen since the Elimination Final last year. For whatever reason, probably just time, Buckley couldn't extract that (or anything close to it) often enough.

Most of you have probably changed jobs or had a new manager at some point. Inevitably your effort lifts as you need to prove yourself all over again. Footy players are no different.

As for the man himself, Bucks is a bloody legend. So glad we could send him off with a win. Gave his everything to the club and showed true class the way he bowed out (as did the club in the way they handled it).

The effort has been there before today, certainly for the last month. It's nonsense to say that it suddenly appeared today. What improved was a willingness and a confidence to go forward. The other aspect was the presence of some kids doing a lot less than average Afl footballers and quite a few players who were out of form and werent contributing that much. Coupled with that was the pressure of the media and a hysterical fanbase, which were fuelling each other.

I dont totally discount this lost the players story. There may be some truth in it, but it came from Tom browne......it came from tom browne who just vaguely threw it into the fire..... gee i wonder why he might do that.

I dont think this story is finished. If i were a club president thinking about changing my coach, i'd be making a call this week. The irony is that buckley might get his premiership.

It took Buckley around 7 years to gain the locker room. He finally got it and lost the passion with in 3 years. Thanks for your times Bucks but it was 7 years too late. Champion player that carried the side. Should’ve had a flag in 2002 and probably 2003. Don’t know what went wrong that day. As coach he was lucky to still be there in 2018. Should’ve coached a flag that day too. But didn’t. It’s time for someone else but we get the timing of these things so so wrong.

Don't worry.
Not a chance we would take him.
Collingwood ppl at Carlton = fail. (Barring maybe Heath Scotland)
Well that's what you get for taking that vindictive old coot just to spite Collingwood.

People keep going on about Buckley’s negative game plan, but when your football department haven’t recruited or drafted any quality KPF’s, or any quality small forwards for his whole tenure, instead recruit the Dayne Beams , Chris Mayne types I wonder why he had to coach defence first.

You don’t think he would of been able to coach more attacking with a Tom Lynch and a Charlie Cameron types up forward?

He had to make the most out of the s**t hand the ones above gave him unfortunately, and then they threw him under the bus for their own self preservation.

Best game I’ve seen from WHE and JT for some time. Clearly that wing position suits WHE, hopefully Harvey keeps him there…

Was seated on the wing, with a great view of The Hyphen’s running patterns

He was masterful judging when to commit and when to spread

Often he quickly got 30m free of an opponent, making it easier for a pressured teammate to kick to him without fear of interception

Will also seems more confident in choosing options when kicking inside 50

Really like him as a winger

It was such a fitting way for Buckley the coach to go out.

A surprise result against a contending team, full of heart, ugly to watch as a spectacle, Pendles BOG and the odd WTF coaching lever pulled (come on Bucks Madgen v Petracca deep forward???). All it was missing was a typical JT/ WHE/ C Brown type nothing performance which we got from Rantall (he’s young and playing out of position so no clip from me), but JT and WHE gave a bit.

It’s onwards and upwards for all involved from here with the quality of the youth beginning to shine a little and Buckley back in the coaches box by 2023.

I wanted a new coach but I feel so sad tonight. It feels like grief.
Same here
I feel the same guys :(
I'm happy and proud that Bucks got a good send off; the players getting the win, the esteem shown his way and the class displayed by Buckley. Together with a tinge of sadness that his time in black and white ends (at least for quite a while). Personally there's also a little bit of closure missing as we weren't able to farewell Bucks in person with the game being in Sydney. Hopefully the club can find an appropriate time, but it's going to be hard as we need to keep moving forward now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back