Universal Love Round 13 (Pies win, farewell Bucks)

Remove this Banner Ad

It took Buckley around 7 years to gain the locker room. He finally got it and lost the passion with in 3 years. Thanks for your times Bucks but it was 7 years too late. Champion player that carried the side. Should’ve had a flag in 2002 and probably 2003. Don’t know what went wrong that day. As coach he was lucky to still be there in 2018. Should’ve coached a flag that day too. But didn’t. It’s time for someone else but we get the timing of these things so so wrong.

An alternate universe explanation of a career.

It was the same style, we just played it quicker.

And less worried about making mistakes. Chris Mayne seems to be the litmus test in whether we have the confidence to go forward. There was a play somewhere in the middle of the game where he stood there and then went backwards and the team just got cornered in the forward pocket and then a turnover and a goal to melb. Mayne has been this way for over a decade...self-doubt. He drowned in it in his first year. Buckley's loyalty keeps getting him a game. I dont doubt Mayne's desire to benefit the team. He almost has too much.

Chris Mayne and Bucks seem to have definitely repaired their very fractured relationship if you think back to 2017. Mayney looked beyond ecstatic at the result yesterday and it was clear as day his admiration for Bucks, as it was with a number of our guys

Saw Tay Adams in the circle singing the song. Korda. Bucks' boys. Pretty much erryone.

Except Grundy? Didn't fly? Or did I miss something
Posted on Instagram him a picture of him watching the game from home yesterday, so safe to presume he didn’t fly

What a great performance by the boys. As a few people have said, that win has been coming for a while now. We've been building, albeit slowly and ugly at times. It does make you wonder what could have been. Had we held on against Brisbane and shown up to play against one or both of the Giants or Suns, we'd actually be pushing to make the 8.

Anyway, super performance by Bucks' lads yesterday. De Goey, Maynard and Crisp. It settles the debate for mine. De Goey is a mid that should push forward and not vice versa. I've been in the play him forward camp but I think it's time we play him in the guts for the majority of the game. He's a bull and can be one of the best mids in the game if he wants it enough. Maynard is a heart and soul player and just bleeds for the jumper, absolutely love watching guys like him represent our club. Crispy, what a star he has turned into. Would be pissing in our BnF at this stage, Moore in pursuit of him.

Really loving the look of the young lads. IQ has A grader written all over him, he could become a weapon playing on ball. How's the vertical leap in the marking contests on him? Kicking is top notch as well. Poulter and McCreery look at home at AFL level. Bianco was quieter yesterday but has shown enough. Rantall looks like an under 16 kid playing seniors but I hope we stick with him for a chunk of games. Looks to me like he just needs confidence in himself.

A big wrap to big Lynchy. I'll be honest I had completely written him off. However, his tap work yesterday was brilliant and although Gawn got busy around the ground, Lynch did a number on him in the centre bounces. Well done big fella.

Stoked to see Checkers back in form and Cameron standing up in a big game. If we could just find a gun Key Forward to complement those 2 then we would start to kick bigger scores more regularly.

Finally, Pendles, champion. The 2nd best magpie I've seen play behind Bucks.

Thanks Bucks for everything. An absolute champion on and off the field. Legendary player, so close to being a premiership coach but an all round fantastic human. Enjoy the years to come with your boys and I hope to hear you in the media over the coming years. There are a few bozos who would be pretty nervous about their jobs right now.

great post as far as i'm concerned. i agreed with every word.

It took Buckley around 7 years to gain the locker room. He finally got it and lost the passion with in 3 years. Thanks for your times Bucks but it was 7 years too late. Champion player that carried the side. Should’ve had a flag in 2002 and probably 2003. Don’t know what went wrong that day. As coach he was lucky to still be there in 2018. Should’ve coached a flag that day too. But didn’t. It’s time for someone else but we get the timing of these things so so wrong.
Honestly, do you post simply to see how many Disagree Thumbs Down symbols you can attract? Every time you post I automatically think: "Troll"

Will be for me a win for the ages. We had no right to take the points yesterday against a team that is clearly a contender this year. My hope going in was that we'd be competitive, got that in spades. Fantastic for the club to see the team stand up and take the chocolates. The score line in fact flattered them. Hopefully more W's in coming weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

neither did Ruscoe or any of the other boys not playing.

But think Howe was also there.

Howe was up there for a big freeze event, not sure which came first though.

Seriously, teach players to be as good a kick as he was? Improve a few, take better options sure.
About as probable as half the list putting on 5 cm in the off season.
Fanciful.
Not sure Leon Cameron is spending too many of his player contact hours teaching his charges to kick with the opposite foot.

Yeah what a laughable comment from the other poster.

How did Don Bradman not get anyone else to average 99 with the bat?!

Bucks would have to go close to being the greatest kick of the sherrin of all time.

have a feeling we will be very flat for rest of year... and maybe into next. Lot of emotion today that wont be replicated for quite a while.

Plus the uncertainty of whats ahead.

Need a quality person to come in if theyre going to win this playing group over. As well as making elite decisions about the makeup of this team, its development, and how we play going forward...

I see us kicking on and going to another level for the rest of the season.

Maynard, De Goey, Crisp, Moore, Cameron etc are just hitting their prime years and it's their chance now to lead this side into the future.

Howe was up there for a big freeze event, not sure which came first though.
Good point.

adams seems to travel mostly when injured. Like when we played the swans. He even helped out with the vfl team. Just shows his commitment and leadership.

I just watched the interview with sidebottom and I had two thoughts while he was talking.

1. It probably isnt a coincidence that the team does well when it flies out of melbourne to play a game after a week of crap. With the amount of crap that the media and pie fans can generate, it must feel like they are escaping a war zone.

2. The normal narrative is that buckley puts too much pressure on players to perform up to his standard. He might have done this in his early years, but I think now the players fear letting him down, so it's hard to take those attacking options out on the field. Fear of failure of letting him down. If that's true, then buckley couldnt win either by using tough love or a caring attitude.

Ah right. Wasn't trying to start a conspiracy, was just wondering how much of an entourage the Pies could take up for Bucks' last stand
Yeah, I thought they should have brought the whole squad for his last game. Adams seems to travel everywhere though. Loves to be part of it. Helping out where he can.

I think people are getting worked up over "he lost the players" idea and that this game and the scenes that followed proved he didn't. Losing the players doesn't necessarily mean that they wanted him gone, or didn't like him as a person or coach, it's just that he was no longer able to motivate them to give maximum effort. To me, this game shows that. Across the board the effort and intensity lifted to a level that we haven't seen since the Elimination Final last year. For whatever reason, probably just time, Buckley couldn't extract that (or anything close to it) often enough.

Most of you have probably changed jobs or had a new manager at some point. Inevitably your effort lifts as you need to prove yourself all over again. Footy players are no different.

As for the man himself, Bucks is a bloody legend. So glad we could send him off with a win. Gave his everything to the club and showed true class the way he bowed out (as did the club in the way they handled it).

''Lost the players" is the most BS term in footy. It's a clickbait comment for journos to make.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Bucks coaching GWS next season.

Leon Cameron is surely gonzo if Giants miss finals, as now seems highly likely.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Giants are in a similar rebuilding phase to us. A handful of guns, sprinkled with kids and few list cloggers.

Bucks won't be coaching next season. He'll be in the commentary box and I'll actually be very surprised if he coaches at AFL level again. Too much of a Collingwood man imo.

Does anyone know if there was anything wrong with Darcy Moore at the end of the game? I saw this and there's only two explanations for why we wouldn't have our all AA CHB on to defend a 2-goal lead at the end:

1. He was injured
2. We totally mismanaged our final rotation

1623727393433.png

Does anyone know if there was anything wrong with Darcy Moore at the end of the game? I saw this and there's only two explanations for why we wouldn't have our all AA CHB on to defend a 2-goal lead at the end:

1. He was injured

View attachment 1155754
I reckon you're over-analysing it. I don't pretend to understand rotations and managing players' workloads but it was probably always pre-planned that he would have that time off the ground. I was there at the ground yesterday and stayed for the on-field post-match celebrations and Darcy looked absolutely AOK at those and as he was walking down the race.

1. He was injured

View attachment 1155754
Overtaken by Madge and will be lucky not to be delisted IMO :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back