Preview Round 13: The Sydney Swans vs. The Geelong Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it is more of the disappointment at not being able to play a full 4 quarters. Full credit to geelong for getting back into the contest as they are a quality team. It seems we just stop playing after the lead i
S built and want to play defense the rest of the game.

To be honest until we have a really solid 4 quarter game i'll be a bit iffy on our finals aspirations..

Also the Geelong bf posters are a quality mob. One team i genuinely playing as you can have a chat to them
i agree. i was disappointed that they faded out again. i though it had a lot to do both times with mumford being beaten in the ruck in the second half.

other impressions :

armstrong mirrored the fade out. he was excellent early and his disposal by foot was much improved from the week before.

jude was great in close.

if that was a free against goods for feigning a handball than the umpires are going to have to start doing it every time. from my experience it happens multiple times every game and is never called play on.

mumford seems shot. i hope not but at the moment he's a liability and is not much chop up forward either.

everitt for ves seems right on right now.

Some miserable people on this board. Top of the ladder, another good win and still complaining. What is the point in being a supporter if you're not going to enjoy the good moments?

This. I think some on here are severly underestimating the magnitude of that win. Geelong are the reigning premiers, maybe down on form a bit but still chock-a-block full of quality players. They were pretty much at full strength - only Varcoe was a significant "out" for them. Sure, the Swans didn't play champagne footy for 4 quarters but they found a way to win despite that.

Our players are not going to win every contest. They are going to make mistakes, especially late in the game when they are exhausted. But I find it bewildering that some "fans" choose to spew at the mistakes the players make, rather than revel in the great stuff they did. Lots of players really stood up in those last few minutes, but Grundy was an important as any other player in those final frantic minutes, and he was pretty solid all night against a very high quality opponent.

What a great effort by the bloods last night, was very happy, a win is a win...

Thought teddy was an absolute stand out for us and the boys were very good for 3 quarters... and the last 2 minutes...

thank you everitt for that great pressure goal, respect mate...

just one question? what does lrt do out there exactly? 4 useless touches this week, to compliment his 7 the week before... surely white could do more then this bloke, as ive stated a hundred times b4.... put loyalty aside and think of the teams benefit i say...

IM BACK, thanks to AG for taking off the gloves finally.. more to come from next week onwards.. been a great rest from this forum... hey BEDFORD :)

White would do about as much, but not bring the ball to ground, nor desperately lunge at the contest in the centre circle in the dying seconds of the game.

LRT isn't much chop, but White is worse. At the moment, he's got all the football brains of LRT, with none of the competitiveness.

A very good team performance overall. Are clearly carrying a few that can't quite run out 4 quarters yet, but we are playing for late September not June. We are looking inconsistent at this stage, but by end of the season our group should be running out games better. We need to be aiming to hit our peak in September.

The very good thing is, our best is as good as the best is the competition. Hopefully we have a good run of injuries and develop some stability. I would bring in Spangher for LRT if he is to remain a forward but that is the only change I would make. I would also be hesitant in doing that until Goodes, Mumford, Armstrong and co are up to speed, due to already carrying too many players who are underdone, or not quite back to pace of AFL footy yet.

Reid has had a lot of the load taken away from him, although it does somewhat concern me that he has been instructed to bash the ball to the boundary rather than mark it. Still a lack of confidence there I suspect, but this is a way they can be bring him into the game as a contributor. Force a stoppage.

Armstrong looks quite a pickup to me. He is a pretty good kick of the football, but I feel it is more his creativity by foot that is an asset. Looking forward to him running out games. Smart recruiting.

Everitt needs to realise he belongs in AFL footy. Has a superb boot on him, is pretty quick. Needs to do what he did as a sub over the whole game. Hopefully he makes it because he certainly offered something last night. Hopefully it kick starts him.

Should win the next couple and we are in a great position.

3 quarters of sin is hyperbolic. Besides the fluffed kick to Mattner on the O'Reilly wing what else did he do wrong? Get outmarked by Hawkins who leads the comp in marks inside 50?

Let the ball bounce out at a crucial moment when he easily could have either marked or collected - highlighted by the commentators. Held Hawkins off the ball which gave them their 'fire starter' and got them on their roll.

And actually, I was busy texting a friend and it was YOU who pointed out to ME: "Stat, Stat, you missed it, Grundy just stuffed up!"

It was not just the one fluffed kick to Mattner.

Yes everyone makes mistakes, but Grundy makes more of them than any other player in the team that I can think of.

White would do about as much, but not bring the ball to ground, nor desperately lunge at the contest in the centre circle in the dying seconds of the game.

LRT isn't much chop, but White is worse. At the moment, he's got all the football brains of LRT, with none of the competitiveness.

They probably both shouldnt be at the club in all honesty... pyke showed a bit last night with mummy battling fitness still.. think pykey has a lot of scope for improvement with more games under his canadian belt..

just baffles me how lrt keeps getting game after game, thats all.. but so be it, peace out!!

oh and grundy is very solid in defence, watch the game closely haters, remember dunkley and tilt carter couldnt kick for s**t... but were rated champions of the club... we need grundy to take the superbeasts... cheers :)

just wanted to extend my congrats to Sydney and their fans, good win, we nearly caught up but Sydney steadied and took the well-earned points.

i must say of all the other clubs in the AFL Sydney is perhaps the one i respect the most , they do it their way, don't tank or bottom out and play a very honest brand of footy - good luck for the rest of the season.

And actually, I was busy texting a friend and it was YOU who pointed out to ME: "Stat, Stat, you missed it, Grundy just stuffed up!"

At the time that's what it seemed like but watching on the replay it wasn't his fault after all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love this piece of commentary:
'Reid was flying like a beautiful swan, he just floated into the air'

Oh_Ok__by_ohokowlplz.png

I'll tell you what was really game saving and a passage of play from a real defender? Richards' mark late in the game, where the ball came in weird and was almost impossible to mark, and he slid on the ground to get to it, amazing mark and probably game saver.

I'll tell you what was really game saving and a passage of play from a real defender? Richards' mark late in the game, where the ball came in weird and was almost impossible to mark, and he slid on the ground to get to it, amazing mark and probably game saver.

do game savers only happen late in the game?

It wasnt Grundys best game but the rpelay, watch the fluffed kick to Mattner in the last, assuming were talknig the one that went over his head.

Mattenr was stagnant near the boundary when Grundy was running up the ground and only at the last second or two decided to lead to wards him. The kick wasn't going to hit him on the chest but it may have bee retrievable if Mattner had stayed put or correctly moved toward the ball carrier earlier.

FWIW, I see the midfield\stoppages breaking even.
What will provide us with the most chances is fast rebound from defense and kicking into the open space\wings ahead of Jetta and Everitt to get the ball in forward quickly.

Hopefully with Goodes spending more time forward with LRT and Reid we'll get on top early.
Be nice to stay there for a change but I've got my cardiac pills ready for the usual close finish.

Smart man this one ^^^^^

Now let me go back and find the post about Goodes being subbed out as well. ;)

Seriously though, once Geelong made the back contests one on one, the run out of defence and srpread stopped and so did the scoring. At an absolute loss how Bartel was allowed to run around as loose man for so long as well.

Must get another cardiac pill refill before next weeks game. :thumbsu:

Not gonna bother entering into the Grundy debate but from the replay (didn't get to go to the game) he certainly wasn't as woeful as some on here make him out to be. Some crucial spoils, touches and efforts interspersed with some bad execution.

For Everitt to take that mark on Enright to kick the winner was very impressive. Not many tougher defenders of that size to contest a mark with.

Kieren Jack had another cracker, sShaw good again, AJ and Ted brilliant and Jetta had some very important touches. As did McVeigh for that matter.

Decent job by Smith on Johnson and JPK and ROK had some crucial clearances in the second half.

Just watched half of a replay, Armstrong needs to be in the team. He has done some good things...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back