Autopsy Round 13 vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been as patient and supportive of the coaches as anyone but that was hard yakka tonight.

Neade and Young gave us nothing new. Pressure acts maybe.

Impey again flashes of brilliance and stretches of nothing.

Sam Gray presents and gets the ball then burns it.

Ken make a decision about the backline. Sides are working out how to open us up and beat the sliding defence, especially when the around the ground defensive effort is down. Get a genuine tall defender back there.

Poor Charlie Dixon looked like Willie Wonka in the forward line surrounded by oompa loompas. I actually saw Sam Gray at CHF. No wonder they changed it up after half time. Brisbane play that long skinny drink of water Hipwood we can play Marshall.

Ken said Friday he isn't afraid to play youngsters. Prove it. At least when Fos kept going back to his favourites they were at least all premiership players.

Boak is not a half forward.

Westhoff on the wing is looking more and more like a gimmick.

I guess I should be pleased we won playing 15 against 22.

Ken, the only person you're hurting is yourself.

On the positives, Ryder was terrific and Ollie huge. Houston slotted back in seamlessly and looked like a composed veteran. Byrne Jones was terrific. We won and we are 4th. Something to fight for. Prove you want it and can grab it Port.

And we managed not to look like losing when the heat was on in the last.

People may not be aware or not care or know and think it's ok but Impey literally had 3 touches until late in the third I think it was, he finished with 10 after some junk time defence gifts.

I get the Toumpas hate to a degree and the Neade dislike but how this dude plays week in week out barely getting it and burning when he does and doesnt get called out 1/119th as much as those guys i just.....don't understand

Is it because we know Ken will never ever ever ever ever drop him or what?

Moving on from tonight, the next 4 weeks will be absolutely telling for us and how far we can go this season.

Collingwood at the 'G - a decent opposition who despite their placement on the ladder have been competitive in every single game pretty much and pose a real threat if we are turned off

Richmond at AO - similar in both quality and ladder position to us, a must-win to prove that we have what it take to make the top 8. I also ******* hate Richmond so please win Port.

West Coast in Perth - a team that we should've thumped on our own turf but let it slide miserably out of our grasp. Another very similar team in both quality and ladder position at one of the most difficult away fixtures in the league. If we win the previous two and then this one, we can compete in finals.

Norf at AO - we finally play these campaigners at home. Have been pretty crap in general but have show snippets of brilliance, most notably against the Crers. Should be a guaranteed win, but at the end of the day we are Ports and we can find a way to *** it up.

Optimistically, I believe we can win all of the next four in a real push for the top 8 and top 4. Realistically, I'd say we beat Collingwood and Norf but take loses to Richmond and West Coast. I'd settle for 3 of the next 4 depending on how our play-style looks.

This game is one of the weirdest to judge on the year. It is difficult in that going into the game, on paper, you see a top 8 side vs the wooden spooners at home, and automatically in your head you're thinking 10+ goal easy win. With that type of win, you expect to literally be running rings around the opposition for the entire game.

So when it doesn't go according to how you had planned it in your head, you automatically start doubting the team. Were we at our best? hell no! But at the same time, this is one of those games where i really think we also should be acknowledging how well Brisbane played. they've been very competitive in many games this year. took the bulldogs to the final 10 minutes at etihad, beat gold coast on the gold coast, thrashed freo last week. They played a very aggressive style of footy tonight, and it's very easy to see the potential for growth that they have on their list. I know they're bottom but i would argue that the way they played tonight was not that of the 18th ranked side. Compare the way they played this week to other teams this week (North Melbourne, St. Kilda, Gold Coast and Carlton), and they probably beat all four of those teams by comparison.

I am not sure why people are saying that our midfield got pantsed. We won clearances by 9, won contested ball by 17 and had 23 more inside 50s. This is a midfield with Zorko, Beams and Rockliff who by Champion Data are the 2nd best midfield trio in the entire AFL. So I think our guys on-ball this week did a fine job. Last week from the get go the game style was not on our terms. Tonight we were able to keep it on our terms for I would say roughly 90% of the time. Yes, we have plenty of areas we need to work on, but I was pleased how we were able to control the game despite not being as dominant as initially expected.

As for individual player reviews, I think that there are a few guys currently in the 22 who are passengers. Earlier in the year we didn't have nearly as many passengers. Specifically, I'm referring to Young, Neade and Impey. Young offers zero defensive pressure as a forward, the prototypical downhill skier. Neade on the other hand will apply pressure all day running around like a headless chook, but he's inefficient in the way he goes about his business on the field. At least he made 5 or so tackles tonight. As for Impey, the guy is completely out of form. I'm glad that Ken put him down back in the final quarter to change things up for him, because the last few weeks just haven't been working for the kid.

Losing Polec is going to hurt us, especially considering we don't have Amon either. Ken in his post-game presser said that there might be a shuffle in which someone like Impey, Boak or Wingard could play more on the wing next week. I do wonder whether Matt White will get a shot though if he has a good game tomorrow in the Magpies.

Trengove is one of those players who we really need to be taking a long hard look at as to whether we keep him going forward into 2018. Great bloke, great team man. But I'm far from convinced that he fits into our structure right now. He is not a natural forward and he doesn't have a place in the back line. I've been hard on Clurey this season but he was good tonight imo. Given Dougal Howard seems to be intended to develop as a forward (per Ken), the 2nd KPF/backup ruck role is most likely his going forward. I think if Howard has another blinder this week, it'll be hard not to select him and drop Trengove next Thursday night.

I understand the frustration of our inside 50 entries, but Brisbane did a helluva lot of flooding tonight, making repeat entries very difficult to find easy targets. This is an area I feel we improved tonight by comparison to the past month or so of footy we have played.

On the positive side of things, I think our back 6 had a much better game tonight (than last week). They looked back to their stifling selves which was pleasing. LOVED what Houston served up tonight. So much composure for such an inexperienced player. Also thought DBJ had a solid game back from his mare last week, whilst Broadbent has continued a good solid few weeks of form.

I've seen us play a lot better than tonight and for us to lose on the scoreboard, so I'm not going to be sitting here on my couch having a whinge that we didn't play as well as we can, because it's unrealistic for any team to be at their best over a full 22 game season.

I get the Toumpas hate to a degree and the Neade dislike but how this dude plays week in week out barely getting it and burning when he does and doesnt get called out 1/119th as much as those guys i just.....don't understand

Absolutely agree. I really want to like Impey but I think I like the idea of him more than the reality. His highlights make him look amazing, but that's what they are, not consistency. I hope he comes good like Pittard did I really do.

Absolutely agree. I really want to like Impey but I think I like the idea of him more than the reality. His highlights make him look amazing, but that's what they are, not consistency. I hope he comes good like Pittard did I really do.
I think you can go further the first half of his highlights looks amazing but it's the point at the end of it or the dribbling out of bounds after a missed kick we forget about

I think you can go further the first half of his highlights looks amazing but it's the point at the end of it or the dribbling out of bounds after a missed kick we forget about

Whenever I think about it I go back to that amazing run against Norf where he ended it by running directly into Firrito? I think it was. Lucky he got a free for slipping.

I've been as patient and supportive of the coaches as anyone but that was hard yakka tonight.

Ken make a decision about the backline. Sides are working out how to open us up and beat the sliding defence, especially when the around the ground defensive effort is down. Get a genuine tall defender back there.

Poor Charlie Dixon looked like Willie Wonka in the forward line surrounded by oompa loompas. I actually saw Sam Gray at CHF. No wonder they changed it up after half time. Brisbane play that long skinny drink of water Hipwood we can play Marshall.

Ken said Friday he isn't afraid to play youngsters. Prove it. At least when Fos kept going back to his favourites they were at least all premiership players.

On the positives, Ryder was terrific and Ollie huge. Houston slotted back in seamlessly and looked like a composed veteran. Byrne Jones was terrific. We won and we are 4th. Something to fight for. Prove you want it and can grab it Port.

You dont usually do this, WTF is going on.

Oh yeah, what the **** has happened to Trengove over the past month? Went from kicking a couple of bags of 3 earlier in the season and looking like a revelation in the forward-line/ruck to another 'nothing' player like the Hoff and Hammer. Really hope Jacko can get out of his on-field slump in form, because his attitude and commitment to the club are second to none.

You dont usually do this, WTF is going on.

I want to believe. But I don't think Ken is doing himself any favours with some of his selections and positional placings. The forward line shuffle after half time showed that.

And some players are going to let him down and he can't keep putting faith in them.

I will always support this club and I won't weigh in with some of the baseless embittered unfounded criticism I see here and I will always rail against that.

But sometimes when things aren't working you have to call it out. We kicked 18 goals but they often seemed like such hard work. And we looked so disorganised down back the Brisbane always looked threatening. Luckily for us they shot themselves in the foot a few times.

Even allowing for the improvement in Brisbane and that they can make life uncomfortable for teams, we played like we hadn't learned anything from last week. This game really irritated me.

Moving on from tonight, the next 4 weeks will be absolutely telling for us and how far we can go this season.

Collingwood at the 'G - a decent opposition who despite their placement on the ladder have been competitive in every single game pretty much and pose a real threat if we are turned off

Richmond at AO - similar in both quality and ladder position to us, a must-win to prove that we have what it take to make the top 8. I also ******* hate Richmond so please win Port.

West Coast in Perth - a team that we should've thumped on our own turf but let it slide miserably out of our grasp. Another very similar team in both quality and ladder position at one of the most difficult away fixtures in the league. If we win the previous two and then this one, we can compete in finals.

Norf at AO - we finally play these campaigners at home. Have been pretty crap in general but have show snippets of brilliance, most notably against the Crers. Should be a guaranteed win, but at the end of the day we are Ports and we can find a way to *** it up.

Optimistically, I believe we can win all of the next four in a real push for the top 8 and top 4. Realistically, I'd say we beat Collingwood and Norf but take loses to Richmond and West Coast. I'd settle for 3 of the next 4 depending on how our play-style looks.

We're gonna lose all four of them :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want to believe. But I don't think Ken is doing himself any favours with some of his selections and positional placings. The forward line shuffle after half time showed that.

And some players are going to let him down and he can't keep putting faith in them.

I will always support this club and I won't weigh in with some of the baseless embittered unfounded criticism I see here and I will always rail against that.

But sometimes when things aren't working you have to call it out. We kicked 18 goals but they often seemed like such hard work. And we looked so disorganised down back the Brisbane always looked threatening. Luckily for us they shot themselves in the foot a few times.

Even allowing for the improvement in Brisbane and that they can make life uncomfortable for teams, we played like we hadn't learned anything from last week. This game really irritated me.
It irritated me, and, I bet, a lot of other Members.
Don't know if I will watch the replay tomorrow.
Might watch it a few days after the Maggies play tomorrow.
Then might go .. in .. out .. in .. out ... lol

Pressure acts.
When you're constantly ball watching and chasing tail it's easy to do.
Get. The. *******. Footy.

A couple new faces would be refreshing instead of the same old names dropped and brought straight back in considering some are in decent touch in the magoos.
We've seen enough of some of these names the last couple of seasons to know they bring * all. Put a line through them and move the * on because they're not bringing us a cup to Alberton.

Last edited:
Not sure if any of the cheer squad is on here but lately I have seen different cheer squads start making targets to be held up when a player is taking a set shot. Wonder has anybody from the cheer squad thought about making a couple of power ones or not. Every week Robbie, SGray, Dixon, trengrove and westhoff miss from 30-40m out not sure it would help or the players use them but I'm sure they won't hurt?

Have quoted this because I wish I could like it more than once, my sentiments exactly

Jacko. I love the guy, really I do.
But the poor bastard isn't a forwards arsehole.
Not his fault but there, I said it.
He has always been an average kick at best. I don't know how Ken expects him to be a consistent finisher in front of goal with his skillset.

Another bloke being played out of position because Ken doesn't want to drop him.

I dream that one day technology allows us to share the inner workings of our consciousness so I can understand what it's like to be someone who spells the same word differently in one sentence.

Yeah you can already simulate that via booze.

Almost the oldest tech of all - thanks to a bunch of bored hunter gatherers sick of stowing some early experimental GM grass seeds who decided just for a lark to sample the rotting fruit that was sending the local birds loopy. We've never looked back really.

No machine can replace me until it learns to drink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back