Autopsy Round 14 – Fremantle vs GWS Giants, Saturday 29th August 2020, Optus Stadium, 4.35pm

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
We sort of switched off a bit in the last quarter, which was a bit annoying, but the game had been long over by then.
I was getting score updates on my phone in the centre console of the truck every time I got coverage. It was frustrating and weird so looking forward to seeing how we got to where we got.
It felt like we didnt score in the 4th. Though we did.

Auspicious start...

V/AFL players with 9+ marks and 2+ goals in each of their first 2 career games
Craig Starcevich
Chris Grant
James Podsiadly
Tom Lynch (GCS)
JAKE RICCARDI

@GWSGIANTS #AFLFreoGiants

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
I was getting score updates on my phone in the centre console of the truck every time I got coverage. It was frustrating and weird so looking forward to seeing how we got to where we got.
It felt like we didnt score in the 4th. Though we did.

It felt like we didn't score, but we only lost the quarter by two points. But yeah, it was annoying, because it would have been valuable percentage. We could have won by between 9-10 goals, instead of 6-7.

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
The guys were very good today, speed, continuity, toughness, connection and most importantly effort.

This is all we hope to get from them, if they get beaten and do this we can accept it but when they do they rarely get beaten.

So impressed with Riccardi, he gives our forward line a new dimension. Hill deserves a lot of credit, they have coached him to chase like his life depends on it and he is doing that.

Great effort from all, well done 🙂👍

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
P.S. We really should send Eddie McGuire & Nathan Buckley a huge thank you card for trading the pick that we used for Jake Riccardi. It may turn out to be one of our more astute trading/draft deals - especially given it was later in the draft.

It's not like Collingwood could have used a key forward.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
P.S. We really should send Eddie McGuire & Nathan Buckley a huge thank you card for trading the pick that we used for Jake Riccardi. It may turn out to be one of our more astute trading/draft deals - especially given it was later in the draft.

We seriously need to lock him in. There are 10 Vics who will be going hard for him. Pies especially.

Since Caruso has been in charge, our selections have been terrific.
I wonder how he would have went if he had SOS's hands in 12, 13,14 , 15 drafts.
I suspect better than we did.
Riccardi another win

Need to keep a lid on. He's played 2 good games.
Also need to bear in mind that the one thing we've never been short on ability to find has been third talls, most of whom are still in the comp (Bruce, Stewart, McCarthy, Lobb, Patton after his return). We overpaid for Finlayson after a couple of years which forced our hand on other players too.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Also need to bear in mind that the one thing we've never been short on ability to find has been third talls, most of whom are still in the comp (Bruce, Stewart, McCarthy, Lobb, Patton after his return). We overpaid for Finlayson after a couple of years which forced our hand on other players too.
I agree with this. But I'd opine that Riccardi looks like he could be a great second tall- not just the third tall - providing some of the strong marking, pack crashing attributes that Patton delivered when playing at his best (think 2016-17). That attribute would allow Jezza and HH to roam, which is when they're at their best.

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
We overpaid for Finlayson after a couple of years which forced our hand on other players too.

How?

We picked him up at 85 (not exactly overpaying), his first extension went by with so little fanfare we all pretty much missed it, a lot of comments on here at the end of the season saying “well, I assume he resigned because he hasn’t been delisted” and his second extension came after we actively shopped him around the trade table (for no interest) so I can’t imagine that there was a lot on the table from us at that point after nobody wanted him.

From where I sit it seems to me that TOJ has been on minimum or close to minimum throughout. So I just can’t see where we “overpaid” to keep him.

How?

We picked him up at 85 (not exactly overpaying), his first extension went by with so little fanfare we all pretty much missed it, a lot of comments on here at the end of the season saying “well, I assume he resigned because he hasn’t been delisted” and his second extension came after we actively shopped him around the trade table (for no interest) so I can’t imagine that there was a lot on the table from us at that point after nobody wanted him.

From where I sit it seems to me that TOJ has been on minimum or close to minimum throughout. So I just can’t see where we “overpaid” to keep him.

The second extension is the one I'm talking about - your ordering of events is slightly out because his extension came before we actively shopped him around. We had signed him to a two year extension back in June of that year and then told him in September that we were open to him moving to other clubs (in order to relieve our salary cap squeeze where we ultimately offloaded Shiel, Setterfield, Scully and Lobb).

When we were looking to unload him at the end of 2018 the figure mooted at the time for the new extension that we were looking to offload was around $400k per year (I can't find the source, but this is what I had stuck in my mind), which was out of whack with what he'd produced to date.

Edit: the point that I had, deleted in rewriting, and forgot to re-add - given we were looking for salary cap relief, I think that means he would have had to have been on a reasonable non-minimum wage otherwise there would've been no point in offloading him.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
The second extension is the one I'm talking about - your ordering of events is slightly out because his extension came before we actively shopped him around. We had signed him to a two year extension back in June of that year and then told him in September that we were open to him moving to other clubs (in order to relieve our salary cap squeeze where we ultimately offloaded Shiel, Setterfield, Scully and Lobb).

When we were looking to unload him at the end of 2018 the figure mooted at the time for the new extension that we were looking to offload was around $400k per year (I can't find the source, but this is what I had stuck in my mind), which was out of whack with what he'd produced to date.

For some reason I do remember something along those lines.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Holy batshit - if that's true, that is overpaid. TBH, he was one I figured we weren't overpaying! (Third tall, NSW boy, not done too much to date.)

Depending on what happens with list sizes, I would be happy enough to keep him on the list as a capable standby (I'm already elevating Riccardi into the best 22 over him in my mind) - but only if he's cheap. And we could get a reasonable price for him, happy enough to trade.

Holy batshit - if that's true, that is overpaid. TBH, he was one I figured we weren't overpaying! (Third tall, NSW boy, not done too much to date.)
IIRC the scenario was:
  1. New draftees were getting generous two year extensions because of our desire to retain players and salary cap concessions.
  2. We then re-signed Finlayson at the peak of his value (was best 22 for the first half of the year) and presumably would therefore have had to have been a raise over his draftee re-signing contract.
  3. The salary cap concessions were abolished with no notice at the end of that year.
IMO his best position with a team would be similar to how we played Tomlinson, as a tall winger. He's got better disposal and is a better mark than Tommo, but we've got better options to stash on a wing these days. He's effective as a third tall but generally only when we're on top.

Back