Review Round 14, 2017 - Brisbane Lions vs. GWS

Who were your five best players against GWS?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

There was an off ball incident in the first quarter (or early second) where zorko was getting attention. He ended up flat on his back lifting a gws player off him with his feet - a vertical leg press.

They didn't leave him alone for moment. He wants to be one of the best (and arguably is) and now other teams have worked it out.

Matho and Rocky did their job well, winning the ball on the inside well. without Zorko and Beams we lacked some depth and class outside thr contest though.

Witherden had a great first game, Berry and Hugh keep getting better. McCluggage could have had 2 goals to his name and is getting himself in dagerous positions around contests. Not sure i agree with comments here that he could throw himself in more. I think he is doing it already, he simply doesnt have the body to do that and win the footy. He goes in when he needs to, but he is a smart player, i think he knows throwing himself in the contest isnt going to win him the ball. He is only going to get better as he adds more strength to his frame.

There was an off ball incident in the first quarter (or early second) where zorko was getting attention. He ended up flat on his back lifting a gws player off him with his feet - a vertical leg press.

They didn't leave him alone for moment. He wants to be one of the best (and arguably is) and now other teams have worked it out.

Fagan was pretty clear in the press conference that he is going to have to learn to deal with this as it will keep happening.

McCluggage, Berry our best.
Witherden good debut.
NRobbo, Lester, Mayes, Taylor, Andrews, Bastinac, Martin, Gardiner, Smith good.
Cutler, McStay okay.
Rockliff looks out of puff at the moment.
Zorko was very frustrated. Just couldn't get the ball or get a run on.
Rich had a 2016 style Rich game.
Bewick meh.
Barrett had a shocker.

I think Smith is in there because he gets to the contest. I think Freeman would just get pushed out / wouldn't get to it.
Martin & Smith's best game working together I thought.

The umpiring in the 3rd quarter was really rough on us.

OUT: Bewick, DBeams, Barrett
IN: Keays, CBeams, Cox

Honestly, I'd be a bit reluctant to play an additional tall. Our "turnaround" (more improvement) seems to coincide with dropping a fall for another running player... we've gone from..
Forward: Schache, Hipwood, 1 of: Close/McStay/Hammelman
...to...
Forward: Hipwood, Smith
And we look a better team... faster

They probably won't drop Bewick after 1 game.
So, it'll probably be DBeams for Keyes.

I swear you're the only bloke on here that calls for Claye to get a game

I was just thinking that it's cool that we'll lose Dayne Beams, Claye is fit and playing well, yet well probably pick Keays.

That middle tier of Basti, RoBew, Harwood, Bell, Lester, Claye were automatic selections if fit 12 months ago. Now they're fighting for 2-3 spots even with injuries.

Add Bundy, MRobbo, Beams in and there is some serious competition between a 6-7 blokes for 1-2 spots.

Zorko hasn't been tagged very often so it'd be a shock to him I think. I think he'll continue to work on that part of his game. He still had a decent tackle count so he was trying to make an impact in other ways.

In hindsight I would've thrown Rich in the middle. Zorko was getting tagged and Rich wasn't getting into the game off half back.

I wonder if we now have enough good ball users down back that we might see Rich deployed more through the midfield more often, especially with Beams down.

If anyone has a link to the Witherden smother that would be great. Walked out at 3 qtr time sooking.

Rocky was unlucky to miss out on my top 5, but I could definitely see your point. I probably vote as much on how they perform in regards to my expectations as the most effective players in the game. I put Witherden in because he played like a 50 gamer rather than a first gamer and I thought Mayes and Robbo also provided a lot of attacking drive from the back line before we broke down in midfield and gave them the ball back before they could back in defensive positions so it's hard to blame the mediums for the scores against of Green. I thought Matho had his best game so it's hard to leave him out and Martin was really good in the ruck. Rocky was solid but he wasn't at his best and it just felt like there were others who were good to excellent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Cutler Zorko and Rich should be shuffled in the future when they're all having a quiet night. Cutler could go back, Zorko forward and Rich to the middle.

Just watched the game. They were very very good. We didn't stink at all as some comments have suggested. Battled out the whole game and still went for the 45 short kicks rather than bombing down the line. Inaccurate kicking by us enabled a 10 goal loss. the game to me was more of a 36 point difference if we'd kicked straight. Matho was really good, I think Hugh is a real smooth mover. Jarod is strong and runs hard and is composed. Steph won the ruck duel for me. Archie came good later in the game. Alex will be a very fine player for us. And Nick, well I thought his game was really good. Two changers from what I saw but was efficient and hard at it. Proud of his game.
I see the improvements each week and reflect back to the previous seasons and how different we fight the game out now as compared to then. And with 22 year olds as well.
I can see the boys wanting to get better and it's clear in my eyes they are developing a real team culture.

Just watched the game. They were very very good. We didn't stink at all as some comments have suggested. Battled out the whole game and still went for the 45 short kicks rather than bombing down the line. Inaccurate kicking by us enabled a 10 goal loss. the game to me was more of a 36 point difference if we'd kicked straight. Matho was really good, I think Hugh is a real smooth mover. Jarod is strong and runs hard and is composed. Steph won the ruck duel for me. Archie came good later in the game. Alex will be a very fine player for us. And Nick, well I thought his game was really good. Two changers from what I saw but was efficient and hard at it. Proud of his game.
I see the improvements each week and reflect back to the previous seasons and how different we fight the game out now as compared to then. And with 22 year olds as well.
I can see the boys wanting to get better and it's clear in my eyes they are developing a real team culture.
your boy is a credit to your family. One of the fastest improvements by a young player I have ever seen. He is now in our top 10 most important players. Hope the club sees it the same way and he gets the contract that his dedication to improvement deserves.

Not sure how often you get across for games, but Nick is quickly becoming a crowd favourite. I would go as far as to say he is the most improved player under Fagan on our list, or at least one of the most improved.

I thought we looked to really drop off in the 3rd. I half expected a complete capitulation from there. At 3 quarter time Rocky actually got them all together in the centre and spoke to them presumably about trying to win the 4th. Good to see the players responded and are taking a lot more ownership.

Also,tell Nick I love his angry face in the pre game video with all the Lions players flexing and s**t haha. That video always gives me a good laugh. Especially Berry and Andrews

As good as the new kits have been, it's the next tier that deserve s lot of credit. Nick has had a huge step up, but he'd be in a genuine battle for biggest improver with Lewy, McStay even Mayes. The fact its close is great
Taylor is back to the form from his debut year,maybe better, while Robertson has gone from someone I honestly thought had no future as footballer, to one of my favourite Lions players this year and one of the first picked (or at least top 10). Even from last year to this year his awareness of what's around him has improved 10 fold and his disposal has cleaned up considerably.
Mayes has showed some very good improvement,but looks like he could easily slip away again. Definitely deserves his place on the half back line,but need a little more convincing he's the answer long term.

Back