Review Round 14, 2017 - Brisbane Lions vs. GWS

Who were your five best players against GWS?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Taylor is back to the form from his debut year,maybe better, while Robertson has gone from someone I honestly thought had no future as footballer, to one of my favourite Lions players this year and one of the first picked (or at least top 10). Even from last year to this year his awareness of what's around him has improved 10 fold and his disposal has cleaned up considerably.
Mayes has showed some very good improvement,but looks like he could easily slip away again. Definitely deserves his place on the half back line,but need a little more convincing he's the answer long term.

It wouldn't surprise me if Mayes ends up drifting to the wing as guys like Cox and Witherden develop. With that said Mayes isn't at his peak yet (not even at 100 games) and can certainly see him taking another step. My brother who is more obsessed with football than me (Hawks supporter) is a huge fan of Mayes and thinks he will end up elite. He thought this even during the Leppa era and seems very reinforced on the matter especially with Fagan at the helm.

Either way, the more Mayes plays under the legend that is Fagan, the more he'll develop. He is defensively pretty good now and is still an awesome kick. Also worth noting he's having easily his career best season, averaging 21 disp a game (76% DE) as well as 6 contested possessions a game (career best).

One thing that won't show up on the stat sheet is how hard he runs to get into position for his team mates. 2 years ago it was something glaringly missing from his game. He's come a long way, got through some tough times in his personal life and he is getting better and better as a player.

Just watched the game. They were very very good. We didn't stink at all as some comments have suggested. Battled out the whole game and still went for the 45 short kicks rather than bombing down the line. Inaccurate kicking by us enabled a 10 goal loss. the game to me was more of a 36 point difference if we'd kicked straight. Matho was really good, I think Hugh is a real smooth mover. Jarod is strong and runs hard and is composed. Steph won the ruck duel for me. Archie came good later in the game. Alex will be a very fine player for us. And Nick, well I thought his game was really good. Two changers from what I saw but was efficient and hard at it. Proud of his game.
I see the improvements each week and reflect back to the previous seasons and how different we fight the game out now as compared to then. And with 22 year olds as well.
I can see the boys wanting to get better and it's clear in my eyes they are developing a real team culture.
So I take it Nick is about to sign a majorly upgraded (and well deserved) contract?

I was hoping you guys could tell me how any negotiations were going. Lol lol lol!!
I'm having dinner with Fages on Wednesday night, I'll get in his ear over dessert and get back to you. Loves his blueberry pie does Fages. His eyes may be failing him,but he's still got a sweet tooth.

The thing that has most impressed me about Nick is that he is building is attacking game so quickly. A year ago I thought he was going to become a solid, reliable, if dour defender. Every team can have one or two of them.

But now I am increasingly seeing a player who is beating his man and then delivering to a target with a real attacking mindset. Hopefully that side of his game keeps developing because it will make him as a player of real quality -strong in attack and defence.

Definitely now one of the first picked each week.

I don't see why we should drop Barrett after a fantastic month for 1 poor match. Should be a starter every week.
Especially since Claye Beams has failed to impress in the seniors for what seems like an eternity now.

I wonder if we now have enough good ball users down back that we might see Rich deployed more through the midfield more often, especially with Beams down.
I think we should be more adaptable when the hard tag comes. Rich plays down back cos he struggles to break the tag. If it was up to us he probably plays in the middle. If zorko is copping a hard tag then get rich in the middle & try to hurt them. Then they need to double the tag or swap to rich thus freeing up zorko.

Previously we haven't had enough dangerous players to cause issues with the tagging. Think were starting to have some options to fight back now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we should be more adaptable when the hard tag comes. Rich plays down back cos he struggles to break the tag. If it was up to us he probably plays in the middle. If zorko is copping a hard tag then get rich in the middle & try to hurt them. Then they need to double the tag or swap to rich thus freeing up zorko.

Previously we haven't had enough dangerous players to cause issues with the tagging. Think were starting to have some options to fight back now

Our players are also starting to (re?)-learn to shepherd, to communicate, to work for each other, and that'll help too.

I wonder if any team would need or worry about tagging Rich these days. It's been a while since Rich made a meaningful contribution to the midfield. It would be interesting to see what he might offer, but with Zorko's form, think the tag would stay with him, and even if Rich has an 'okay' run through the middle, Zorko would be better and is still tagged out. We might be better tagging his tagger, as someone suggested.

I wonder if any team would need or worry about tagging Rich these days. It's been a while since Rich made a meaningful contribution to the midfield. It would be interesting to see what he might offer, but with Zorko's form, think the tag would stay with him, and even if Rich has an 'okay' run through the middle, Zorko would be better and is still tagged out. We might be better tagging his tagger, as someone suggested.
There's plenty of options, zorko tags. Or zorko goes forward. Then if the tagger switches to rich zorko can get free and try to run through the middle between stoppages. Or if they stay with him maybe rich can really do some damage himself. He used to be great in the middle.

There's definitely enough talent to cover for him down back.

They need to think about it cos the tag will come for zorko every week now

Oh come on,the last game I went to before that was the Port disaster :(

About 5:10 in - hell of an effort. Smothers are underrated sometimes I reckon!

One thing that won't show up on the stat sheet is how hard he runs to get into position for his team mates. 2 years ago it was something glaringly missing from his game. He's come a long way, got through some tough times in his personal life and he is getting better and better as a player.

Last night in the fourth quarter from memory there was a period of play when Mayes got into position to take a handball out of congestion, kicked back to a player on his own who then started a switch to the other side of the field. Three or four kicks later, Mayes was there for the next kick on the opposite side of the field.

your boy is a credit to your family. One of the fastest improvements by a young player I have ever seen. He is now in our top 10 most important players. Hope the club sees it the same way and he gets the contract that his dedication to improvement deserves.

Don't remember seeing a player so dedicated to getting the extra percent edge than Robbo Jr. Seems very switched on aswell, so I'd imagine Fages would love him. Perfect student.

Last night in the fourth quarter from memory there was a period of play when Mayes got into position to take a handball out of congestion, kicked back to a player on his own who then started a switch to the other side of the field. Three or four kicks later, Mayes was there for the next kick on the opposite side of the field.

I think he, Robbo and Lester are the two hardest runners in the team in terms of ground coverage this year. That may not be correct as it is based off viewing, but it certainly appears so from my viewing.

I loved the Greene and Robbo fist bump/skin after Robbo turfed him in the 4th. Green could have been a flog about it but there was genuine respect.
Love Robbo and now I find it hard to dislike Greene.
I love watching Green, when isn't playing against us. Has attitude just like Matho

It may have taken longer than expected with Robbo but I always got the sense that a bloke of 190cm with the running capacity, athleticism and strength to go with it would turn into a great footballer. Very rare coinciding physical traits.

Not sure if many remember but Robbo was actually talked about in the same ilk as Hogan/O'Meara as a potential mini-draft candidate - slid down the draft boards after an injury riddled draft year.

I'd love to see him continue this upward trend and become one of the best (and certainly the most unique) running defenders in the competition.

Really want Keays back in the side too - however only as a like-for-like replacement for DBeams. Barrett deserves more time.

It may have taken longer than expected with Robbo but I always got the sense that a bloke of 190cm with the running capacity, athleticism and strength to go with it would turn into a great footballer. Very rare coinciding physical traits.

Not sure if many remember but Robbo was actually talked about in the same ilk as Hogan/O'Meara as a potential mini-draft candidate - slid down the draft boards after an injury riddled draft year.

I recall in his draft year someone on BF thought that Robertson would be a contender for the number 1 pick.

Back