Discussion Round 14, 2017: Photos and Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh my goodness that's absolute GOLD!

I can imagine the phone calls, "hey Sydneyyyyyy....you know how everyone loves Gaz.....any chance you want to showcase your white kit at home this weekend?"
that'd be very fine by me :D

Hawks to (unneccessarily) don the new white number.
I remember reading somewhere earlier in the season that they planned to wear the jumper a specific number of times throughout the year even if they didn't clash hence it's appearance in Round 2 against Gold Coast. I don't have a link as it was so long ago but maybe its just marketing tactic (or plain stupidity) but who knows.

I remember reading somewhere earlier in the season that they planned to wear the jumper a specific number of times throughout the year even if they didn't clash hence it's appearance in Round 2 against Gold Coast. I don't have a link as it was so long ago but maybe its just marketing tactic (or plain stupidity) but who knows.
Gold Coast has been a clash most times the teams have met. 2011 Hawthorn played them away in R23 and revealed "next year's" clash jumper that match, as they couldn't wear their current one or their home.

What probably happens is they have a deal with Adidas that this other guernsey will get x exposure based on the number of matches they think they'll have to wear it in as dictated by the AFL, so that it's worth Adidas going to the effort of making them, and yes also to make it visible enough that people will buy it. Then the League changes its mind and suddenly they're a match short, so they wear it anyways.

Gold Coast has been a clash most times the teams have met. 2011 Hawthorn played them away in R23 and revealed "next year's" clash jumper that match, as they couldn't wear their current one or their home.

What probably happens is they have a deal with Adidas that this other guernsey will get x exposure based on the number of matches they think they'll have to wear it in as dictated by the AFL, so that it's worth Adidas going to the effort of making them, and yes also to make it visible enough that people will buy it. Then the League changes its mind and suddenly they're a match short, so they wear it anyways.
Gotta love the AFL's clash policy :p (or lack thereof)

The club announced last year that the AFL said we needed a white jumper for GWS, Crows and WC. We wore it v Suns just for the hell of it (we don't play GWS or WC away). Gold or white shorts with home would be fine except v GWS.

The club announced last year that the AFL said we needed a white jumper for GWS, Crows and WC. We wore it v Suns just for the hell of it (we don't play GWS or WC away). Gold or white shorts with home would be fine except v GWS.
Hawks and Giants don't even clash!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rare to see a mainstream Victorian journo declare a need for a clash jumper in a "Big 4" match-up.

Unfortunately the replies are littered with "hasn't been an issue for 100 years..." rubbish, including from Andy Maher.

Jeez, 95% of those replies are anti clash jumpers. I don't get it. Why not make it easier to distinguish the clubs? Who really cares? "Look at the white shorts" can't be an argument anymore

Jeez, 95% of those replies are anti clash jumpers. I don't get it. Why not make it easier to distinguish the clubs? Who really cares? "Look at the white shorts" can't be an argument anymore

I reckon if clash jumpers were actually enforced in these big Vic match-ups, within a few years they'd all be used to it, and probably come to realise they're better for it. The key is having an effective clash jumper that also looks good and identifies well with the club. I think we're pretty much there at the moment.

Rare to see a mainstream Victorian journo declare a need for a clash jumper in a "Big 4" match-up.

Unfortunately the replies are littered with "hasn't been an issue for 100 years..." rubbish, including from Andy Maher.
"Last time we see..." - is he saying this is the last time, or is he hoping?

Almost certainly just his opinion on the matter. Probably doesn't carry much clout, but its rare and refreshing to see from a journo. Hopefully a few more jump on board.
Judging by the way it's gone so far, I'm not holding out much hope.
Goes along with McLure complaining about "the old dark Navy Blues" wearing white and Eddie always complementing "good traditional matchups" and "nobody in dressups here tonight".

Judging by the way it's gone so far, I'm not holding out much hope.
Goes along with McLure complaining about "the old dark Navy Blues" wearing white and Eddie always complementing "good traditional matchups" and "nobody in dressups here tonight".

We can only hope. The way Eddie carries on about it is just absurd at times.

Its simple, they can sufficiently differentiate as they are today, so they dont see the need for a change.

If rfc and cfc fans, players and clubs have no issue with the status quo, why force a change?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back