Preview Round 14, 2019: St.Kilda v Brisbane - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 22nd June, 4:35PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 41 69.5%
  • Lions

Votes: 18 30.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
yRYRxN0.png

Preview
St.Kilda v Brisbane

636832_thumb.jpg

In an uneventful day in Townsville, the Saints came away with a 4 point win after trailing by as much as 31 points midway through the third quarter. It was the Saints sixth win of the season, squaring their ledger at 6-6 and pushing for a spot in the eight.

Brisbane are back in action after a week off due to the bye, and will be looking to make amends for a poor showing a fortnight ago - losing to Carlton by 15 points at Marvel Stadium.

Let’s have a look at possible best 22s:

St.Kilda Best 22
B:
Daniel McKenzie, Nathan Brown, Shane Savage
HB: Callum Wilkie, Jake Carlisle, Josh Battle
C: Blake Acres, Dan Hannebery, Jack Newnes
HF: Jack Billings, Josh Bruce, Jack Sinclair
F: Jade Gresham, Tim Membrey, Dean Kent
Foll: Rowan Marshall, Luke Dunstan, Sebastian Ross
I/C: Ben Long, Hunter Clark, Nick Coffield, Matthew Parker

Brisbane Best 22
B:
Luke Hodge, Harris Andrews, Daniel Rich
HB: Nick Robertson, Darcy Gardiner, Noah Answerth
C: Hugh McCluggage, Lachie Neale, Mitch Robinson
HF: Cam Rayner, Eric Hipwood, Lincoln McCarthy
F: Charles Cameron, Daniel McStay, Lewis Taylor
Foll: Stefan Martin, Dayne Zorko, Jarryd Lyons
I/C: Jacob Allison, Alex Witherden, Rhys Mathieson, Archie Smith

Medical Room

[IMG='width:651px;']https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/Media/Galleries/Matches/2019/AFL%202019%20Round%2012%20-%20Carlton%20v%20Brisbane/682869_gl.jpg[/IMG]

St Kilda's Brandon White appeared to suffer a corked thigh in the second quarter, had it taped up and after a few attempts to return, eventually got back on early in the third and played the game out.

For the Lions, Dayne Zorko copped a knee to his hip and came from the field in the second quarter. He came back on and quickly left the ground again, but was able to play the match out.

Preview

[IMG='width:651px;']https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/BrisbaneLions/Articles/General%202017/R14_MatchDay.png[/IMG]

St.Kilda returned from their mid-season bye with a trip to far north Queensland in what was their second successive game in 25+ degree heat. After an abysmal 17 point first half, the Saints kicked on in the third and fourth quarters after trailing the Gold Coast Suns by as much as 31 points, arresting the Suns momentum and running out 4 point winners in a game marred by inaccurate kicking and generally poor play.

It was the Saints sixth win of the season and admittedly their most uninspiring of the year. However there were some positives to take from the game - most notably the performance of star midfielder Jack Billings who was voted the Saints best on ground with a career performance - finishing the day with 33 possessions to go along with 8 marks, 11 tackles and 2 vital goals as the game was in the balance.

Other notable performances included emerging ruckman Rowan Marshall (18 disposals, 40 hit-outs, 5 marks, 4 tackles), midfielder Luke Dunstan (22 disposals, 4 marks, 10 tackles and a goal), Jade Gresham (20 disposals, 5 marks, 8 tackles and a goal) and key forward Tim Membrey (17 disposals, 10 marks and 3 goals). And a big congratulations to debutant Nick Hind who slotted his first AFL goal.

Brisbane have been the surprise packet of the season, having taken some big scalps en-route to a 7-5 win loss record and 7th spot on the ladder after 13 rounds. The Lions form line reads as such: Losses to Essendon, Collingwood, Western Bulldogs, Fremantle and Carlton. Their victories a sign of where the Lions are at, with wins against West Coast, North Melbourne, Port Adelaide, Gold Coast, Sydney, Adelaide and Hawthorn - showing the competition that they aren't easy-beats anymore, and have proven to be a formidable, consistent side.

However the performance in Round 12 against the Blues must be noted, and in what was a disappointing day out for the Lions, Lachie Neale again presses his case for All-Australian selection - collecting 31 disposals to go along with 9 marks and a goal in a best on ground performance.

Other notables included Hugh McCluggage (20 disposals, 6 marks, 7 tackles & a goal), Daniel Rich (22 touches & 6 marks) and Alex Witherden (18 possessions, 5 marks & 3 tackles).

Potential changes

[IMG='width:651px;']https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/730b8705746442d63184a5c1a1570ada[/IMG]

In promising news for Saints fans, Dan Hannebery got through his second successive game in the VFL and will be available for selection in what would be his first game for St.Kilda.

Other notable inclusions could be Jake Carlisle, Ben Paton, Ben Long & Nick Coffield.

Key Match-Ups

[IMG='width:651px;']https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/Media/Galleries/Matches/2019/AFL%202019%20Round%2012%20-%20Carlton%20v%20Brisbane/682963_gl.jpg[/IMG]

Lachie Neale
Since moving from Fremantle, Lachie Neale has taken his game to another level, and has to be the Lions most consistent performer through the midfield. With Saints tagger Jack Steele ruled out, it will take a collective effort from those in the Saints engine room to limit Neale's influence on the game.

Hugh McCluggage
McCluggage is just one of many young Lions who have improved out of sight in 2019. A dashing winger, McCluggage generates a lot of Brisbane's offense through his play and if he gets time to use his excellent foot skills it could spell disaster for the Saints back six.

Tip

[IMG='width:651px;']https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/Media/Galleries/Matches/2019/AFL%202019%20Round%2013%20-%20Gold%20Coast%20v%20St%20Kilda/685182_gl.jpg[/IMG]

St.Kilda put together another lacklustre performance against the Suns last weekend, and it took them until half time to switch on to run away with the game. Those kinds of performances cannot happen this week. Brisbane are 7-5, the Saints 6-6, so this really is an "8 point game" in many respects. I feel as though if the game was in Brisbane I would say Brisbane would run away with it, but the Saints have been good at Marvel this year and the Lions just lost to Carlton at the same venue a fortnight ago. I could really see the result going either way, and I think it will be a very close game but with the important inclusions of Hannebery and potentially Carlisle, I feel as though the Saints should be able to eek this one out. It shapes as one of the most important games of St.Kilda's season.

Saints by 5 points.

Thoughts?

lewdogs

Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
Interesting selection week. Will wait to see who is available, but Hannebery would be huge. Think Bruce struggles to hold his spot.

Indie Rock

Club Legend
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Bruce needs help up there. He’s the only genuine tall forward. Membrey plays tall due to his awesome vertical leap but he’s not a tall body like Bruce.

He’a being asked to play a role similar to the role Jack Riewoldt has done the last few years (pre Tom Lynch) as a lone tall and he’s clearly not as good a player as him so it’s not as effective. Add to that the sub standard delivery which makes it a harder job to boot.

If Max King can come in and contribute soon it will make life a lot easier for Bruce, who ‘broke out’ as a forward and had his best years when Rooey was in the side.

cooperrules

Norm Smith Medallist
May 18, 2012
East Bentleigh
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Lakers, Leeds united
Bruce needs help up there. He’s the only genuine tall forward. Membrey plays tall due to his awesome vertical leap but he’s not a tall body like Bruce.

He’a being asked to play a role similar to the role Jack Riewoldt has done the last few years (pre Tom Lynch) as a lone tall and he’s clearly not as good a player as him so it’s not as effective. Add to that the sub standard delivery which makes it a harder job to boot.

If Max King can come in and contribute soon it will make life a lot easier for Bruce, who ‘broke out’ as a forward and had his best years when Rooey was in the side.
Sorry mate disagree bruce has been a spud for 3 years. He had one good armo year. Hes just not good enough lets not sugar coat it. Doesnt have the footy smarts or great hands required to be a forward.

Nutsngum

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 14, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers FC
Sorry mate disagree bruce has been a spud for 3 years. He had one good armo year. Hes just not good enough lets not sugar coat it. Doesnt have the footy smarts or great hands required to be a forward.
Mmmm yes, a year with a broken leg and back is surely indicative of spud like material.

Before that he was kicking 35+ a year for 3 years straight which is a decent output from a B grade forward, not a "spud" like you stupidly claim him to be.

cooperrules

Norm Smith Medallist
May 18, 2012
East Bentleigh
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Lakers, Leeds united
Mmmm yes, a year with a broken leg and back is surely indicative of spud like material.

Before that he was kicking 35+ a year for 3 years straight which is a decent output from a B grade forward, not a "spud" like you stupidly claim him to be.
Were spud hoarders have look at our list.

I could replace several posters on this board with a bot and a limited vocabulary of buzzwords and I swear nobody could tell the difference.

Anyway. Very interested to see how Hanners and King go. Hopefully White recovers and can retain a spot because I like what he has to offer.
I think Hind did enough as well. A good goal, some good passes and some good tackling pressure. He might come back to docklands and feel more comfortable to make more of an impact too.

SufferingS8INT

Club Legend
Dec 17, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Don’t think we win this one but I reckon the boys will get up and about for it especially if Hanners and King run into the ground with them. Webster and Carlisle would be the cherry on top. Hope they all dominate tomorrow at Sandy!!!

Indie Rock

Club Legend
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda

Agree.

Not a spud at all but definitely not an A grader capable of playing as a lone tall in the forward line.

He’s been down on form the past few weeks but started the season well contesting and bringing the ball to ground for the smalls.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
We'd be stupid to drop Bruce for Kings first game. It means King will end up with the best defender and likely free someone up to come over the top every time.

Bruce, King, Membrey is a good mix, makes it hard for Brisbane to get that cut off defender and makes life a hell of a lot easier for both King and Membrey and more than likely Bruce.

Won't happen.

Can someone please tell me the point of brown. There is none. He goes. Webster in for run and that thing we lack. Skill. Clark stays but lucky. Same with hind. Goldstein for Marshall.

He made Brownsville his own.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
We'd be stupid to drop Bruce for Kings first game. It means King will end up with the best defender and likely free someone up to come over the top every time.

Bruce, King, Membrey is a good mix, makes it hard for Brisbane to get that cut off defender and makes life a hell of a lot easier for both King and Membrey and more than likely Bruce.

Won't happen.
If King does debut, Harris will play on him.

Parkers tatts

Team Captain
Mar 10, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Bruce wouldn’t get a game in almost any other forward line in the Comp.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Didn't he change his name to his biological parents after finding out he was adopted?
I was joking. I was doing the opposite of what girls seem to do when married. Yes you are correct. Just on that do you think my divorced wife should still have my surname. The only Benicia is I’m nearly first in the phone book

Browny2Carlisle

Premiership Player
May 2, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
I wouldn't mind just a boring old game where we win comfortably from start to finish.
Going from hopeful to angry to ECO and then mildly interested to full blown ECI as we fight back from a huge deficit before almost losing it in the last seconds is exhausting. I'm surprised I have any hair left on my head from pulling it out!

TheEnsign

Club Legend
Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Jun 24, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
I resisted the urge to melt yesterday. Is Jimmy a chance for next week? Would've thought he only needs one vfl game.

If it's Web-Hanners-King then we're improved on every line.

Newnes Armo and maybe Parker need to make way.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
I resisted the urge to melt yesterday. Is Jimmy a chance for next week? Would've thought he only needs one vfl game.

If it's Web-Hanners-King then we're improved on every line.

Newnes Armo and maybe Parker need to make way.
If he needs one vfl game then he is no chance next week. I’m not sure he does.

Keg on legs

Cancelled
10k Posts St Kilda - Doulton Langlands Player Sponsor 2020 St Kilda - Robbie Young Player Sponsor 2019 St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2017
Oct 5, 2014
The beer fridge
AFL Club
St Kilda
I was joking. I was doing the opposite of what girls seem to do when married. Yes you are correct. Just on that do you think my divorced wife should still have my surname. The only Benicia is I’m nearly first in the phone book

I've started flicking through the phone book for Plugger Aardvark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back