Preview Round 14, 2019: St.Kilda v Brisbane - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 22nd June, 4:35PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 41 69.5%
  • Lions

Votes: 18 30.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think most agree we have too many goodish-not great players. Newnes has had enough time to be more consistent at the basics. That kick across the ground in the first quarter which should have led to an easy goal went way behind the free player (I think it was Bruce) which effectively killed off the attack,

I was really surprised and impressed with his early season form but he has fallen away quite dramatically. I think it is time for him to head back to Sandy and earn his spot back in the seniors, giving some others an extended time to develop their game.
who at Sandy would deliver better results than him ?
he had a howler of a kick on that posession and he has been under performing but sending him to the VFL to find form while replacing him with a worse player helps the team win this week how ?

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
who at Sandy would deliver better results than him ?
he had a howler of a kick on that posession and he has been under performing but sending him to the VFL to find form while replacing him with a worse player helps the team win this week how ?
It helps supporters. Most of who don’t watch sandy but do watch the saints. Apparently players in a much lower grade are better because they don’t see all their faults. How many wanted young in. Plenty. He played exactly as badly as he was playing at sandy. Happy to pick seconds players but they must be carving it up.

i disagree on Parker ... yes his decision making at times is a bit off but the idea is there, what he brings to the team is that unexpectedness.. we have run with the bog boring type player who does the easy thing everytime to death.. i would rather Parker go hard and try to impact the game 100 times over playing a robot who will only run straight lines ... Parkers strength is is flair and his natural ability you dont try and beat that out of him you need to encorrage that and hope it grows into something consistant ... we love players like Dusty and Betts because they dont do the norm but go for the stuff others cant the differance is those two have over 200 games experiance doing that so it comes off more than it doesnt.. the thing to remember Parker has what 12 games experiance i think we gotta let him grow as a player in the seniors.. provided he chases and brings the pressure im not really fussed if he is impacting the game at this stage in his career as he is still learning the craft ... the last thing we want is to grow impatent and turn him into a player afraid to use his x-factor

Yeah, he stays in, he is disruptive, he gets a hand in to stop the opposition marking, gets to contests and pressures every ball. He doesn't need to score if he does the hard work.

its not making an excuse for them its understanding in a game with 22 players in the team you cant have 22 of them being BOG... Sinc, Newnes, Parker and Kent all keep their spot because they fulfil their role required and they keep their spot because those in the VFL are not bashing the door down to displace them ... if a player is out of form then there is ZERO advantage to dropping them for a player who is not up to the level required as yet .. Young is a prime example of that ...
the good teams will only drop players for someone performing better at the lower level what you and the other people calling for these guys to be dropped are saying is you would rather an average VFL player to come in because an average AFL player has a low possesion game ... in what world do you think that would work ? its a knee jerk reaction fans have to feel the need everyweek to name a scapegoat to be cut from the team.. thankfully the coaches are more balanced and look at all the factors when picking the squad..
so i ask you who in the VFL at this moment is doing enough to to displace these guys ?

yes i understand we really dont have the depth to drop both ATM but hopefully soon we will until they can perform up to the required level

You didnt see this part of my message ?? I think your reading way too much into it , We won and im not looking for scapegoats as you put it and im not looking to drop players after one average game , the two i mentioned have been down on form IMO

dont understand your hate for Kent ... bit like your hate for Clint Jones back in the day i find it puzzling .. there were certainly players not performing their role worst than Kent who should be on the block more

I'm Kents biggest critic, he frustrates me to death but he's earning his keep. If he could stop kicking out on the full he'd be a lot more loveable. Dees mates used to talk about him like he was always going to come back and make a massive difference. He's more like a version of Mav when he had his good year, no star but does enough to keep his spot.

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'm Kents biggest critic, he frustrates me to death but he's earning his keep. If he could stop kicking out on the full he'd be a lot more loveable. Dees mates used to talk about him like he was always going to come back and make a massive difference. He's more like a version of Mav when he had his good year, no star but does enough to keep his spot.
he is a foot soldier ... hes never going to be the star of the team so expecting him to be tht is setting up for disapointment ... that said his biggest flaw is his goal kicking if not for that he would be our leading goal kicker for the season to date ... these guys are the stopgaps we are not building a team around Dean Kent to win a flag but Dean Kent is an improvment on the guy he replaced on the list by a fair margin

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Melbourne would be a better team right now if Newnes was lining up on one of their wings.

Then we should be keeping him. He is a very meh player. Dime a dozen for middle of the road sides. Wont make much difference to any side. If I rated him he is the true C grade player. Nothing wrong with that. Will play close to 200 games so had a wonderful career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bennymc7

Club Legend
Jun 27, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'm a little off Sincs...

Unsure of his role, think he's trying to do Lonies high HF role but to a way less effect. Has improved his physicality but needs to be getting 20 a game minimum..

Seems to have lost his ability to find space and use well, if Longy wasn't out of form I think he'd be out of the side

Human Person

Loved Gresham before it was cool.
Sep 26, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'm a little off Sincs...

Unsure of his role, think he's trying to do Lonies high HF role but to a way less effect. Has improved his physicality but needs to be getting 20 a game minimum..

Seems to have lost his ability to find space and use well, if Longy wasn't out of form I think he'd be out of the side

Sincs is a tough one, he's been forced out of his preferred position so he's less effective. I'm also not sure what role/position he's playing now. Definitely has the class to be an effective player, and has been great for us, but not sure what he does from here.

Saint believer

Team Captain
Aug 28, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
So is Newnes just an average player doing the best he can or is he someone that would improve by going back and improving. On your argument should. Billing’s have been dropped last year? He had a 50 possession game that seems to have helped his continuous improvement since.

I think it is a bit of a worry if the best reason to leave the status quo is because no else is good enough either.

Fully granted I don’t see these fellows live so only get a small view but our second quarter against GCS was truly wooden spoon worthy. It was only GCS’s ability to also stuff up that kept us close. Thankfully (frustratingly) the boys lifted in the second half.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mar 19, 2008
Narre Warren North
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
AFL publish some more advanced stats now, and there is a reason i want Paton in.

Effective disposals per game ( average per game 2019 ) :
Pierce 3 Who?
Young 4 Needs to be able to do more.
Long 6 Needs to find more of the ball or apply the pressure he had earlier.
Marsh 6.5 Not bad for a defender.
Parker 7 Less than Kent or Lonie but has some special talents. Easily ahead of Long and Young.
Hind 7 ( all of them ). Very interesting 100%. Would like to see more, and on the wing.
White 7 Average compared to other options down back.
Brown 7.2 Surprisingly more than i thought.
Bruce 7.3
Kent 7.8 Compare to Young and Long. Very good.
Longer 8 Backup ruck.
Clark 8.8 Not enough for his type of player. Only 3 effective kicks per game.
Membrey 9.3 Good.
Lonie 9.5 Compare to other small forwards.
Coffield 10.0 Surprisingly high. 7 by foot.
McKenzie 10.5 Better than expected.
Joyce 10.7 Good if he can overcome his other deficiencies.
Sinclair 11.3 Should be higher for where he play.
Phillips 12.0 Gets a lot of the ball but sprays a lot. 7 by foot.
Armitage 12.0 12 of 16 pretty good. 6 effective kicks .
Acres 12.3 6 effective kicks per game.
Marshall 12.3 6 effective kicks per game.
Paton 12.5 6 effective kicks per game.

If we are crying out for good users of the ball, Paton seems to be well ahead of a lot of other options, and doesn't seem to have a lot of deficiency.
His contested defence stats seem to be on a par with Savage, ( Better than Armo, way better than Coffield ).
7th in our club for rebounds from 50 per game ( 2.7 per game ).

Team by effective kicks per game is :

B: ( Geary INJ ) (Webster INJ) Patton , Brown, Wilkie
HB: Savage, Battle, McKenzie
C: Hind, Ross, Clarke
HF: Gresham , Newnes , Membrey
F: ( Lonie INJ), Kent, Bruce, Parker

F: ( Steele-INJ ), Dunstan, Gresham, ( Steven INJ) ,Marshall ,Billings
Bench: Acres. (Phillips INJ). Sinclair, Armitage, Coffield

Emerg : Marsh , White, Joyce.Long.

LONGER is in the 22 for eff kicks, but behind Marshall so no position for him. is he injured?
Hind should be behind Brown and White.
Joyce ahead of Brown, except for poor defensive work and free's away.
Parker in or structure, but behind Joyce and White.

Paton would be 13th picked based on this criteria. 9th if the injured players are not available.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
AFL publish some more advanced stats now, and there is a reason i want Paton in.

Effective disposals per game ( average per game 2019 ) :
Pierce 3 Who?
Young 4 Needs to be able to do more.
Long 6 Needs to find more of the ball or apply the pressure he had earlier.
Marsh 6.5 Not bad for a defender.
Parker 7 Less than Kent or Lonie but has some special talents. Easily ahead of Long and Young.
Hind 7 ( all of them ). Very interesting 100%. Would like to see more, and on the wing.
White 7 Average compared to other options down back.
Brown 7.2 Surprisingly more than i thought.
Bruce 7.3
Kent 7.8 Compare to Young and Long. Very good.
Longer 8 Backup ruck.
Clark 8.8 Not enough for his type of player. Only 3 effective kicks per game.
Membrey 9.3 Good.
Lonie 9.5 Compare to other small forwards.
Coffield 10.0 Surprisingly high. 7 by foot.
McKenzie 10.5 Better than expected.
Joyce 10.7 Good if he can overcome his other deficiencies.
Sinclair 11.3 Should be higher for where he play.
Phillips 12.0 Gets a lot of the ball but sprays a lot. 7 by foot.
Armitage 12.0 12 of 16 pretty good. 6 effective kicks .
Acres 12.3 6 effective kicks per game.
Marshall 12.3 6 effective kicks per game.
Paton 12.5 6 effective kicks per game.

If we are crying out for good users of the ball, Paton seems to be well ahead of a lot of other options, and doesn't seem to have a lot of deficiency.
His contested defence stats seem to be on a par with Savage, ( Better than Armo, way better than Coffield ).
7th in our club for rebounds from 50 per game ( 2.7 per game ).

Team by effective kicks per game is :

B: ( Geary INJ ) (Webster INJ) Patton , Brown, Wilkie
HB: Savage, Battle, McKenzie
C: Hind, Ross, Clarke
HF: Gresham , Newnes , Membrey
F: ( Lonie INJ), Kent, Bruce, Parker

F: ( Steele-INJ ), Dunstan, Gresham, ( Steven INJ) ,Marshall ,Billings
Bench: Acres. (Phillips INJ). Sinclair, Armitage, Coffield

Emerg : Marsh , White, Joyce.Long.

LONGER is in the 22 for eff kicks, but behind Marshall so no position for him. is he injured?
Hind should be behind Brown and White.
Joyce ahead of Brown, except for poor defensive work and free's away.
Parker in or structure, but behind Joyce and White.

Paton would be 13th picked based on this criteria. 9th if the injured players are not available.

Good for Paton. More proof how good Marshall is going. Keep this up and he will be the greatest human to ever be on this planet.

Oct 3, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Cubs
You're still old, that's your fault,
There's so much you have to know
Find the ball, settle down,
If you want you can retire
Look at me, I am Cho, but I'm happy
I heard it through the grapevine,
Armo's not goin' to be around,
Yeah Yeah, I heard it through the grapevine,
And Cho's about to lose his mind,
Hurry, Hurry, go.

LiterallyNobody

Cancelled due to poster being a Campaigner
30k Posts 10k Posts Cake Connoisseur SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser Harry Potter Fan Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds Shiny Penny
Jul 26, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
One game it'll click for us and we'll look like back to back premiers...
That's the weirdest thing I've ever read on this board.... probably the back to back premiers bit. What even is that?

Aug 15, 2009
Dubai, UAE
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
North Sydney Bears Rugby League
Would like to put in a word for Hunter Clark.

In qtr 4 his in and under and creative handballing was very very important.

Needs to be persisted with.
The Fanfooty site said that Clark was tagging Jack Martin from sometime in the second quarter. I don’t remember seeing much of Martin later in the game. He was certainly prominent early. If true Hunter did a good job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back