Game Day Round 14, 2019: St.Kilda v Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
yRYRxN0.png

Preview
St.Kilda v Brisbane

636832_thumb.jpg

In an uneventful day in Townsville, the Saints came away with a 4 point win after trailing by as much as 31 points midway through the third quarter. It was the Saints sixth win of the season, squaring their ledger at 6-6 and pushing for a spot in the eight.

Brisbane are back in action after a week off due to the bye, and will be looking to make amends for a poor showing a fortnight ago - losing to Carlton by 15 points at Marvel Stadium.

Let’s have a look at possible best 22s:

St.Kilda Best 22
B:
Daniel McKenzie, Nathan Brown, Shane Savage
HB: Callum Wilkie, Jake Carlisle, Josh Battle
C: Blake Acres, Dan Hannebery, Jack Newnes
HF: Jack Billings, Josh Bruce, Jack Sinclair
F: Jade Gresham, Tim Membrey, Dean Kent
Foll: Rowan Marshall, Luke Dunstan, Sebastian Ross
I/C: Ben Long, Hunter Clark, Nick Coffield, Matthew Parker

Brisbane Best 22
B:
Luke Hodge, Harris Andrews, Daniel Rich
HB: Nick Robertson, Darcy Gardiner, Noah Answerth
C: Hugh McCluggage, Lachie Neale, Mitch Robinson
HF: Cam Rayner, Eric Hipwood, Lincoln McCarthy
F: Charles Cameron, Daniel McStay, Lewis Taylor
Foll: Stefan Martin, Dayne Zorko, Jarryd Lyons
I/C: Jacob Allison, Alex Witherden, Rhys Mathieson, Archie Smith

Medical Room

[IMG='width:651px;']https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/Media/Galleries/Matches/2019/AFL%202019%20Round%2012%20-%20Carlton%20v%20Brisbane/682869_gl.jpg[/IMG]

St Kilda's Brandon White appeared to suffer a corked thigh in the second quarter, had it taped up and after a few attempts to return, eventually got back on early in the third and played the game out.

For the Lions, Dayne Zorko copped a knee to his hip and came from the field in the second quarter. He came back on and quickly left the ground again, but was able to play the match out.

Preview

[IMG='width:651px;']https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/BrisbaneLions/Articles/General%202017/R14_MatchDay.png[/IMG]

St.Kilda returned from their mid-season bye with a trip to far north Queensland in what was their second successive game in 25+ degree heat. After an abysmal 17 point first half, the Saints kicked on in the third and fourth quarters after trailing the Gold Coast Suns by as much as 31 points, arresting the Suns momentum and running out 4 point winners in a game marred by inaccurate kicking and generally poor play.

It was the Saints sixth win of the season and admittedly their most uninspiring of the year. However there were some positives to take from the game - most notably the performance of star midfielder Jack Billings who was voted the Saints best on ground with a career performance - finishing the day with 33 possessions to go along with 8 marks, 11 tackles and 2 vital goals as the game was in the balance.

Other notable performances included emerging ruckman Rowan Marshall (18 disposals, 40 hit-outs, 5 marks, 4 tackles), midfielder Luke Dunstan (22 disposals, 4 marks, 10 tackles and a goal), Jade Gresham (20 disposals, 5 marks, 8 tackles and a goal) and key forward Tim Membrey (17 disposals, 10 marks and 3 goals). And a big congratulations to debutant Nick Hind who slotted his first AFL goal.

Brisbane have been the surprise packet of the season, having taken some big scalps en-route to a 7-5 win loss record and 7th spot on the ladder after 13 rounds. The Lions form line reads as such: Losses to Essendon, Collingwood, Western Bulldogs, Fremantle and Carlton. Their victories a sign of where the Lions are at, with wins against West Coast, North Melbourne, Port Adelaide, Gold Coast, Sydney, Adelaide and Hawthorn - showing the competition that they aren't easy-beats anymore, and have proven to be a formidable, consistent side.

However the performance in Round 12 against the Blues must be noted, and in what was a disappointing day out for the Lions, Lachie Neale again presses his case for All-Australian selection - collecting 31 disposals to go along with 9 marks and a goal in a best on ground performance.

Other notables included Hugh McCluggage (20 disposals, 6 marks, 7 tackles & a goal), Daniel Rich (22 touches & 6 marks) and Alex Witherden (18 possessions, 5 marks & 3 tackles).

Potential changes

[IMG='width:651px;']https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/730b8705746442d63184a5c1a1570ada[/IMG]

In promising news for Saints fans, Dan Hannebery got through his second successive game in the VFL and will be available for selection in what would be his first game for St.Kilda.

Other notable inclusions could be Jake Carlisle, Ben Paton, Ben Long & Nick Coffield.

Key Match-Ups

[IMG='width:651px;']https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/Media/Galleries/Matches/2019/AFL%202019%20Round%2012%20-%20Carlton%20v%20Brisbane/682963_gl.jpg[/IMG]

Lachie Neale
Since moving from Fremantle, Lachie Neale has taken his game to another level, and has to be the Lions most consistent performer through the midfield. With Saints tagger Jack Steele ruled out, it will take a collective effort from those in the Saints engine room to limit Neale's influence on the game.

Hugh McCluggage
McCluggage is just one of many young Lions who have improved out of sight in 2019. A dashing winger, McCluggage generates a lot of Brisbane's offense through his play and if he gets time to use his excellent foot skills it could spell disaster for the Saints back six.

Tip

[IMG='width:651px;']https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/Media/Galleries/Matches/2019/AFL%202019%20Round%2013%20-%20Gold%20Coast%20v%20St%20Kilda/685182_gl.jpg[/IMG]

St.Kilda put together another lacklustre performance against the Suns last weekend, and it took them until half time to switch on to run away with the game. Those kinds of performances cannot happen this week. Brisbane are 7-5, the Saints 6-6, so this really is an "8 point game" in many respects. I feel as though if the game was in Brisbane I would say Brisbane would run away with it, but the Saints have been good at Marvel this year and the Lions just lost to Carlton at the same venue a fortnight ago. I could really see the result going either way, and I think it will be a very close game but with the important inclusions of Hannebery and potentially Carlisle, I feel as though the Saints should be able to eek this one out. It shapes as one of the most important games of St.Kilda's season.

Saints by 5 points.

Thoughts?

A must win game. Another poster commented that historically we haven't fared too well when under this type of pressure whilst Richo's been coach. However, I'm hoping that Hanners & Carlisle can steady the ship. We need the forwards to get their s**t together, it's been a bit depressing of late, however, against my better judgement i'm going with the Saints by 10 points...Hanner's to be monstrous after a quiet start, and Parker to bob up with 3 handy goals in a flurry of 20 minute magic.

Last edited:
Really looking forward to seeing Hanners. He’s got a lot of rust to shake off though, so my expectations aren’t huge. His leadership will be handy regardless.
I’d normally be all over the saints to win this one but that first half and a bit against GC shook me to the core. If we repeat that the Lions will tear us apart.
Heart says Saints, head says ****** if I know.

My heart is confident; my head is a little less optimistic.

If we can turn one of our patented “dominant for little score” second quarters into a genuine lead, we’ll be hard to run down. Here’s hoping the morale and leadership boost comes with Hanners and Carlisle, and we can bag a pretty crucial four points.

Lions just, but who knows- I’m really looking forward to this one! Go boys!!

Huge game as we all know. Will tell us plenty whether we have got what's required to make a solid fist of pushing for finals!
Quite simply these are the must win games! Hoping like hell the inclusions of the two senior leaders with some much needed class can
Stimulate our youngsters into rediscovering their best form.

There were some promising signs of not only character but even a little belief that came with last week's fightback!
No doubt the playing group have been left in no uncertain terms that any similarities with last week's first half though
Just will not cut it anywhere, let alone against a talented and hungry Brisbane side!

So we need to be on from the start today, and i'd like to see us take it to them as to how the game will be played much like we were
Doing early in the season! It seems we have been in reactive mode for some time now. Probably since the injuries started to bite!
Bring the manic pressure and boldness that comes from a bit of belief and confidence, have no question that we can break them!

Good luck to Dan today....His long awaited debut for the Sainters, hope it's a good one for him and team, together with the big Snake who
I'm sure will be eager to remind the footy world just what a good player he is. Throw in the impetus of the Billings recommitment and we
Have a bit of dare i say momentum building! Just one important matter of hand first up though is to fire up as a team today and simply WIN!

With dubious optimism i'm confident! Well sort of.....Saints by 33 pts!.....:stkilda:

We have a very good record against the Lions - I think that will continue
I don't expect too much from Hanners and Carlisle in their first game back but I am keen to see them back in action

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can we bring Milney back for just a day?

The way he finished at Beaumaris I don't think he would give us much. I did notice he played last week in Bali with Bakes so he has at least had one game this year. They lost the grand final. Who would have guessed that.

The way he finished at Beaumaris I don't think he would give us much. I did notice he played last week in Bali with Bakes so he has at least had one game this year. They lost the grand final. Who would have guessed that.
Milney and Bakes now there was a good pair of Saints players.

Interestingly the last Three times we have played them we have kicked over 100 points , we will need that type of performance today or we will be no chance .
If they jump us im guessing we will be in for a long day , all the best to Jake and Hanners but i wouldnt be expecting too much out of either today .
I will be there cheering for the boys hoping , my heart says Saints but i think they may get us by a few goals

Two pretty different teams that lined up round 1 last year. We’ll miss Steele & Stevens from that game that did a job on Zorko. Added Neale and the task is harder. Jacky also took home the three votes, so no doubt the midfield is where we’ll win or lose it today.

Hoping Hanners can find first up form, but understanding if he’s a run short. I am little concerned about Carlisle coming in underdone - but you don’t drive Ferrari’s in the mud.

Close game, but head tells they’ll outlast us in the contest.

Huge game as we all know. Will tell us plenty whether we have got what's required to make a solid fist of pushing for finals!
Quite simply these are the must win games! Hoping like hell the inclusions of the two senior leaders with some much needed class can
Stimulate our youngsters into rediscovering their best form.

There were some promising signs of not only character but even a little belief that came with last week's fightback!
No doubt the playing group have been left in no uncertain terms that any similarities with last week's first half though
Just will not cut it anywhere, let alone against a talented and hungry Brisbane side!

So we need to be on from the start today, and i'd like to see us take it to them as to how the game will be played much like we were
Doing early in the season! It seems we have been in reactive mode for some time now. Probably since the injuries started to bite!
Bring the manic pressure and boldness that comes from a bit of belief and confidence, have no question that we can break them!

Good luck to Dan today....His long awaited debut for the Sainters, hope it's a good one for him and team, together with the big Snake who
I'm sure will be eager to remind the footy world just what a good player he is. Throw in the impetus of the Billings recommitment and we
Have a bit of dare i say momentum building! Just one important matter of hand first up though is to fire up as a team today and simply WIN!

With dubious optimism i'm confident! Well sort of.....Saints by 33 pts!.....:stkilda:
Great post mate...I think you are right, plus, the additions of experienced players in Hannebery & Carlisle will definitely boost the confidence of the team. We may look at this game at 7.30pm tonight and think gee, having some on field leadership/direction out there was crucial today.

50-50 game. I actually feel more confidence this week than against Gold Coast at that rust belt, backwards hole.

The game will be won in our forwardline. We’ve shown we create enough forward 50 opportunities through a tonne of entries. It will depend on the quality of entries & the effectiveness of our forwards.

Ross to lockdown on Neal.

McKenzie to play deep defence on Cameron or Zorko if he goes forward. Sinclair to run with Zorko when he’s in the midfield.

Marshall needs to have a massive game.

The Lions will target Billings & Gresh. If Billings is having no impact I bloody hope the coaching team move him around & support him.

Saints by 2 points.

Two pretty different teams that lined up round 1 last year. We’ll miss Steele & Stevens from that game that did a job on Zorko. Added Neale and the task is harder. Jacky also took home the three votes, so no doubt the midfield is where we’ll win or lose it today.

Hoping Hanners can find first up form, but understanding if he’s a run short. I am little concerned about Carlisle coming in underdone - but you don’t drive Ferrari’s in the mud.

Close game, but head tells they’ll outlast us in the contest.
No that fussed about playing Carlisle - fit enough to train full time, fit enough to play for Sandy - fit enough to play in the Seniors.

No doubt he'll struggle towards the end of the game but I can't see any sense in holding him back and making play a few more games in the magoo's just be classified 'match fit".

If it was the first round with exactly the same circumstances - he'd be picked.

Anyway cruisy day for Jake - I expect to see him channeling his inner G Train and spend the game standing behind the goal ump chatting to the cheer squad waiting for the ball to be kicked somewhere near him.

3 goals to Jake - Saints to win by 13 points

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back