Preview Round 14, 2020: Hawthorn v Essendon, 27 August 2020, 4.40pm @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah 2 your first point but if bb was cooked or unable 2 compete managed like 2 others possibly a better result overall.

Michington even being put on our list is a head scratcher. He is average pace at best and isn't great by foot. He was sold as super fast but injury prone, our club has an issue with what is fast, but when ur the slowest club in the league I guess a puffing Billy looks fast compared to a Thomas the tank engine or is it the other way around?

I know one thing they are as close 2 a Japanese bullet train as our old red rattlers, and much like our red rattlers they are probably heading to the retirement village.

Still no new kids. That is a statement in itself. Almost as big a statement as Jeff announcing he is staying on.

Somewhat strange times at our club.
For all those saying there are no kids in the team, here are all the guys with less than 20 games who weren’t in the team round 1:

Jiath
Day
Hanrahan
Cousins
Scrimshaw
Glass

Thats a pretty big turnover throughout the year, plus Hartley. That’s not insignificant. You need experienced bulls in the side to assist with development, you can’t just keep loading up with new faces. I reckon Finn will probably come in soon, but likely for one of those 6 above.

So why load up with experienced veterans like Minchington and Ceglar (if BB isn't a late out), and not bring in two youngster like he promised he would do?

Then after the short break he can cycle out anyone for the players returning from injury like JOM and Impey, or bring in the experienced vets like Minchington and Ceglar?
Because Clarko doesn’t know what he’s doing obviously.

So why load up with experienced veterans like Minchington and Ceglar (if BB isn't a late out), and not bring in two youngster like he promised he would do?

Then after the short break he can cycle out anyone for the players returning from injury like JOM and Impey, or bring in the experienced vets like Minchington and Ceglar?
Did he say he was going to bring in two kids this week?
Like actually say it

McEvoy only plays on Daniher if Daniher's calf is injured otherwise McEvoy will get burnt for pace.
For all those saying there are no kids in the team, here are all the guys with less than 20 games who weren’t in the team round 1:

Jiath
Day
Hanrahan
Cousins
Scrimshaw
Glass

Thats a pretty big turnover throughout the year, plus Hartley. That’s not insignificant. You need experienced bulls in the side to assist with development, you can’t just keep loading up with new faces. I reckon Finn will probably come in soon, but likely for one of those 6 above.
Experience means jack s**t. It doesn't just automatically transfer to the younger players.

Leadership is what is used to speed up the transfer of knowledge to gain experience, and the list is bereft of leadership at the moment.

And since we don't have much leadership, plus we're not playing for finals, now is the perfect time to play the inexperienced so they can gain that experience and we can see if they have leadership skills to maybe fill to void that's currently there.

Clarko seems to refuse to accept where we are as a team and a list.
I reckon Clarkson might know exactly where the team and list is at.

he said we were going to inject some youth and since then we've seen

Day
Morris
Nash
Glass
Ollie
CJ
Morrison
Cousins

so as you can see he was clearly lying
Most here thought 'injecting some youth' means that we'd see some young players who haven't seen action, but were close to it.

Not those who have been playing for, in some cases, senior games over 3 seasons. Those aren't the players you 'inject' into the side.

Day and Morris are the only real 'injections' of youth.

All of Glass, Minch, Ollie, Howe, Hartley, Cuz and CJ are fringe or borderline best 22. Thats seven players possibly playing for their future list spot. It is a huge number potentially trialling at any one time.

They might not be everyone's ideal choices to be playing as some might have different fringe players they want to be looked at, but I can see the logic in most of this week's selections.

McEvoy only plays on Daniher if Daniher's calf is injured otherwise McEvoy will get burnt for pace.

Experience means jack sh*t. It doesn't just automatically transfer to the younger players.

Leadership is what is used to speed up the transfer of knowledge to gain experience, and the list is bereft of leadership at the moment.

And since we don't have much leadership, plus we're not playing for finals, now is the perfect time to play the inexperienced so they can gain that experience and we can see if they have leadership skills to maybe fill to void that's currently there.
It’s clearly not just “leadership”, we have a system that takes a huge amount of time to impart onto young players. This includes running patterns and pressure markers that most of us probably don’t see when watching. You put too much youth in the side, then you tip the balance out of whack with the system, and you’re just wasting the poor kids time.

Picture it like a choreographed dance. If you got 18 people doing the dance and you insert a few people in who don’t know it as well, they have enough people next to them and around them doing the dance to give you the cues as to what you need to be doing. You keep subbing out the experience and then all of a sudden the kids are just looking at each other not know what do.

And yes, this is modern football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most here thought 'injecting some youth' means that we'd see some young players who haven't seen action, but were close to it.
“Most“ thought wrong then, and completely ignored the umber of uncontracted players on the list that we need to make calls on.

Not those who have been playing for, in some cases, senior games over 3 seasons. Those aren't the players you 'inject' into the side.

Day and Morris are the only real 'injections' of youth.

lol what? that's an incredibly arbitrary attribution of the english language and oddly specific assumption to make on what most people thought

like wtf does

Those aren't the players you 'inject' into the side.

even mean. why are you the arbitrator of what constitutes youth and allowable injections into a side?

I believe you may have mistaken yourself for the president of WADA on this occasion mate

It’s clearly not just “leadership”, we have a system that takes a huge amount of time to impart onto young players. This includes running patterns and pressure markers that most of us probably don’t see when watching. You put too much youth in the side, then you tip the balance out of whack with the system, and you’re just wasting the poor kids time.

Picture it like a choreographed dance. If you got 18 people doing the dance and you insert a few people in who don’t know it as well, they have enough people next to them and around them doing the dance to give you the cues as to what you need to be doing. You keep subbing out the experience and then all of a sudden the kids are just looking at each other not know what do.

And yes, this is modern football.
So why are young footballers automatically more stupid than those who have come from another club? By your theory, Scully, Patton and Wingard are smarter simply because they're older and came from another club. That's a ridiculous assumption to make. In fact, the assumption your making suggests that what Scully, Patton and Wingard were able to learn over the course of a preseason, and a couple of preseason games, is equal to what a new draftee is capable of learning over 3-4 preseasons just because they played at another club.

Running patterns are not an exclusive thing to the AFL. The only thing that's exclusive to the AFL is tagging if you come from the TAC cup. None of the non-playing youth are taggers. The players have been playing long enough, and using running patterns, etc, that they're able to learn the game plan pretty quick. 6 days a week they're working on it.

As for your dance metaphor, if that's what you call choreographed dancing since the hub, then you must be used to dancing while drugged up the eyeballs on coke because it sure as s**t wasn't looking 'choreographed'.

So why are young footballers automatically more stupid than those who have come from another club? By your theory, Scully, Patton and Wingard are smarter simply because they're older and came from another club. That's a ridiculous assumption to make. In fact, the assumption your making suggests that what Scully, Patton and Wingard were able to learn over the course of a preseason, and a couple of preseason games, is equal to what a new draftee is capable of learning over 3-4 preseasons just because they played at another club.

Running patterns are not an exclusive thing to the AFL. The only thing that's exclusive to the AFL is tagging if you come from the TAC cup. None of the non-playing youth are taggers. The players have been playing long enough, and running patterns, etc, that they're able to learn the game plan pretty quick. 6 days a week they're working on it.

As for your dance metaphor, if that's what you call choreographed dancing since the hub, then you must be used to dancing while drugged up the eyeballson coke because it sure as sh*t wasn't looking 'choreographed'.
Wow, I can’t believe this is so complicated for you. We have a system. Clarko has talked about it for 15 years. It’s different to other clubs. Yes you bring in players from other clubs and it takes them time too. That just makes it even harder to put more kids in. This is not rocket science. I’m not sure why you’re having a meltdown about it.

If what I’m saying is wrong, why the selections?

Wow, I can’t believe this is so complicated for you. We have a system. Clarko has talked about it for 15 years. It’s different to other clubs. Yes you bring in players from other clubs and it takes them time too. That just makes it even harder to put more kids in. This is not rocket science. I’m not sure why you’re having a meltdown about it.

If what I’m saying is wrong, why the selections?
Its simple SLB has never liked systems or structures. According to him they just get in the way of playing attractive football. He wants the kids to just go out there and hunt the ball and the rest will take care of itself

he said we were going to inject some youth and since then we've seen

Day
Morris
Nash
Glass
Ollie
CJ
Morrison
Cousins

so as you can see he was clearly lying

He dropped Morris for Minchington after that comment. Day and Morrison were already in the side. He has since subsequently dropped Morrison, Nash and not selected Morris since.

Good try though.

He dropped Morris for Minchington after that comment. Day and Morrison were already in the side. He has since subsequently dropped Morrison, Nash and not selected Morris since.

Good try though.

pretty sure he said it after Jones debuted but i dont keep track of everything he says and when he says it so happy to be wrong

Wow, can't understand some of the reactions here. Maybe I'm easily pleased, but the idea of seeing Glass, Cousins, Scrimshaw, CJ and Day run around this week and show their wares is exciting. Any more than this and we start to break down our structures. Glass and Cousins in particular played beyond (my) expectations last week, and I'm keen to see if they can back them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back