Preview Round 14, 2020: Hawthorn v Essendon, 27 August 2020, 4.40pm @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
our side was very good against port adelaide and already has a few kids in it, so it makes sense we are trying to reward that 22 with consistency.

Would've preferred to see Lewis over Cegs but we'll see, i'm sure he'll get another chance soon given his better performances in the scratch matches
It's just odd though, Big Boy is coming off his best game of the season and is now either not rucking or sharing it with Cegs?

If we are rewarding form he should be given the solo job especially against a useless ruck like Phillips.

It's just odd though, Big Boy is coming off his best game of the season and is now either not rucking or sharing it with Cegs?

If we are rewarding form he should be given the solo job especially against a useless ruck like Phillips.

yeah i dunno either, but the match committee don't just blindly make decisions for the fun of it so i'm sure there's a logical explanation, structure wise.

Possibly even just that Big Boy's getting too tired playing solo ruck and we want to utilise his versatility in defence and as a FF instead of just managing him vs Hooker + Hurley

yeah i dunno either, but the match committee don't just blindly make decisions for the fun of it so i'm sure there's a logical explanation, structure wise.

Possibly even just that Big Boy's getting too tired playing solo ruck and we want to utilise his versatility in defence and as a FF instead of just managing him vs Hooker + Hurley
Yeah it just seems odd that he talked in his presser about having the opportunity to try some new things personal wise and tactically. And that same week resorts to the old not so reliable.

Yeah it just seems odd that he talked in his presser about having the opportunity to try some new things personal wise and tactically. And that same week resorts to the old not so reliable.

i mean minchington is young (relative to our system/best 22) and gunston is a walk-up start to any side in the comp, the only weird change is obviously Cegs but as I said i'm sure there's a reason for it as much as I would prefer it was ML coming in

I think Clarko was more referring to in the coming weeks when our side is actually feeling the heat of 129048230894532 games in 2 weeks or whatever it is, the bye wasn't that long ago and our breaks have been relatively forgiving so I'm not surprised most of our 22 is right to go.

Obviously JOM, Impey, Stratts, Smith, Burgoyne and Frawley will come back in eventually, and I'd think we'll rest Big Boy, Titch, Day, Scrimshaw, Shiels and TOB or something along those lines, not to mention fringe blokes like Glass and Cousins one bad game away from getting the chop, so I'm confident we'll see some new blokes come in as we rotate 6-8 players over the next 4 games

Clarkson always puts a limit on the number of youngsters in the squad.
Day, Ollie, Cousins, Glass, Scrim and even when you consider Patton and Hartley as noobs to the side...that’s quite a few new faces learning roles without the old guard around them. Scrim has been asked to be more Sicily too, according to him post Port.

Last chance for Minch to show his wares you’d think, but maybe not much of a downgrade on recent Impey form.

The other thing to consider is that this is possibly the first time in a long, that I have noticed anyway, that we’ve named 4 fresh faced emergencies. Rather than making sure we’ve got some tried and true types ready to go. I think that says a little too about the piece by piece transition towards a younger group.

What’s the point of the club providing the scratch match reports if they have no link to selection? Minch wasn’t even mentioned.

Really crap changes. Thought we’d figured out cegs and BB In same side doesn’t work. Can’t understand minch selection at all. Also do we really need to see Scully?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mmm, lumber. Taste the lumber, in all its lumbery goodness.

Bit weird. Games are won with speed not height these days (Logie level performances help too). Assuming winning is the goal. And if it's not, makes the in of Mincho a bit weird.

Oh well, it is what it is. We'll see how it plays out on the morrow. I try and stay positive or at least circumspect, but that team announcement left plenty of available space in my whelm.

Clarko said in his interview earlier this morning that being out of finals meant we could test new things looking towards the future. We rest Stratton & Burgoyne and I think we're going to give opportunities to younger fringe guys to see what they can do. Then he brings in Ceglar & Minchington.

He also promised us an injection of youth months ago, then brought in Brooksby and Minchington. I wonder if he's just saying what he thinks everyone wants to hear, and then does the complete opposite hoping that no one would notice. He's taking the piss.

Like it.. season gone, time to see what we have and have not. Last shot for Minch. And I rekon Ross and Grieves will get there shot at it, next week vs The Crows.
See what we have??
We know what we have with Ceglar and Minch - they are both not AFL standard

Why not give one of the untried players that have been on the list for years like Ross, Greeves or even Finn a chance instead of keeping them as emergencies

Only positive is none of the young blokes got dropped.
This.

But also, forget who swapped in and out of the side, look at who stayed in, and what roles they will be asked to play this week.

That’s the part to take note of.

We have another game on Tuesday against a side that have a 9 day break ( yes I know they havent won a game )

Maybe its management of the squad to allow us a chance at being competitive in both games?
Rather then being totally gassed next Tuesday ?

Its like people are selecting a team for the last game of the season and this is our last chance to play some kids.
There is time . Kids will come in and out. And we need to know if guys like Minchington stay on the list ( probably not ), best way to do that is play them as well.

There is also playing combos of players to see what works and what doesnt. There is more to it than 'they are under 21 so lets just play them' and see what happens

Has to be, doesn't he? He looked banged up, last week. Amazing as he was.

If Ceglar can't handle Phillips, on his own. Sheesh!
I think BB and Cegs will work over Philips all night and give us first use. Bellcho is experienced and they rate Draper, so both are losses for them.
Daniher no footy in 2 years. Will be rusty as.
We lost 2 fwds in Shaun and Jars, so Minch a logical replacement and still young. Good choice.
Let's hope Gunner plays.
Stratts on borrowed time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back