Autopsy Round 14, 2020: Melbourne v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Geary needs to go back to defensive forward or wing tagger because he throws the whole backline out. If there’s no matchup for him then he needs to be managed. Clark rested to make way for him last week, Carlisle dropped this week, he’s just not meant to be part of the back 6 anymore.

Not the time to be experimenting with finals on the line, let’s just keep doing what WAS getting us there. While there‘s no doubt we’ve improved missing finals would be a major disappointment.

Billings started the year in cracking form but has been a major disappointment since. You just never notice him in big games, he should be doing more at this stage of his career.

Not sure why but the whole team looked flat. Being the hunter clearly suits us more.

We are still an inconsistent team but there are good signs.

We play attacking footy but do need more strings to our bow.

At least the blow outs seem to have stopped a bit. The Geelong game and the Pies game we were completely outclassed but that was every few weeks under Richo. We seem to have done the opposite under Ratts. Seem to hold up well against the good sides but drop the easy ones. Richo was a flat track bully and only really bothered the bottom feeder sides.

All in all i wasn't too disappointed in our performance , of course we did a few stupid things and missed a few shots but that happens every week apart from one game this year .
I think a lot have got way ahead of themselves thinking we should just walk over a few teams and we have come undone, At the start of the year i gave us no chance of playing finals so in that respect the boys have done better than i was thinking , Until we can sort out a few glaring issues Ie , small forward , Mids we are going to struggle .
I just hope the club have used this time up at Noosa to fast track the younger guys like Clav, Byrnes, Bell ect as they are not playing games each week i hope the weights have copped a pounding.
I think the Hawks game is going to be a hard game to win if they cant pick themselves up after this loss .
Jack Steele , what can you say about this bloke , Lenny MK 11 Has to be the next skipper

I'm thinking our lack of composure possibly in tight games comes from the fact we're almost always a young team under-fire from a much more experienced team. If I am reading it correctly, we were about 15 games, 10 months, and 3.5Kg lighter per player for this game.

In fact, from the 5 games decided by less than a goal, the only one where the difference in games played between the teams was under 50 games, is the one we won (Gold Coast - they had 48 games more experience running around) - the other 4 we were around 2-300 games short, and it largely sums up the difference.

I don't know too much about how we're training right now, but I'm betting it's nothing like a normal season, or normal training loads, so it's also not entirely a surprise that we're lacking some of the game-day plans we might have hoped to have.

Think of it a bit like an orchestra.

Geelong are like the Berlin Philharmonic ... even if you separate them for a month, and they can only do individual preparation, they're going to sit down on concert night (game day) and know exactly what they have to do - they have the experience, and maturity that the conductor waves his baton, and the performance is top notch.

Port, Richmond, Brisbane and a few other clubs are like the major Australian Orchestras ... they're really good, and have most of the attributes of the top-notch orchestras of the world, without necessarily having all the experience and polish, but generally turn up and put out a high quality performance.

St Kilda and Gold Coast, I would look at as being like a good University orchestra ... they've got some experience there in the players who are closer to graduation, but also a lot of kids in first year who don't really know how to match it with the big boys yet. Really need a lot of rehearsal (training) and input from the conductor (coach) and section leads (assistants) to get a quality product. If you take away 50% of the training, the quality of the performance suffers, and as a long performance season drags on, some of those younger performers find it harder to be consistent, and get a bit burned out. Also, a few of the leaders develop issues or fall ill, and force shuffling which puts younger players into positions where they lack the adequate support to do their best.

Then there are the basket cases ... but we know who they are ... :)

Last night we were more like a garage band with a bunch of self taught kids playing 2 chord punk rock but not in a charming way. Luckily the battle of the bands only put up a three chord version and we didn't look embarrassingly bad.

At least the blow outs seem to have stopped a bit. The Geelong game and the Pies game we were completely outclassed but that was every few weeks under Richo. We seem to have done the opposite under Ratts. Seem to hold up well against the good sides but drop the easy ones. Richo was a flat track bully and only really bothered the bottom feeder sides.
Dont count the chickens just yet , We still have WCE to play

Best post in thread so far.
Still pretty angry in here today.

I was absolutely livid after the Norf and Freo losses as they are poor teams.

This loss? It’s simple, as plugger66 said, since the spotlight has come on us in the competition, teams have worked out that you need to stop the over the back goal against us at all costs.

All this blaming King and the small forwards and our mids (who were rightly being lauded just a few weeks back) is short-sighted. They are not all crap all of a sudden. It’s just with the way the opposition are structuring up, none of our forwards have any room to work in: its like playing in a phone box up there.

You saw after the Geelong loss, Dangerfield saying how much they’d set themselves up for our game. It was the same as May last night. Teams are having a serious look at us. This is a compliment and shows how far we’ve come in a relatively short time.

To win at the moment, we are going to have to do it in a different way.

As much as many here might not want to hear it, in most games against a decent team in this league that has set up specifically to stop us, a young team at our point in its development simply don’t have the experience yet to work our way through what the opposition are doing and win the game.

On top of the above, if you throw in the strange COVID season, the fact we have a number of new players in our team taking a while to gel, and the fact we are missing a great strategic mentor in Roughy to help us on match days, it’s no wonder we are coming up short in working our way through what teams are doing to us at the moment.

Everyone needs to calm down a bit. What’s happening to us now is what happens to all promising young teams at our stage. Everyone hasn’t all of a sudden turned to crap. It’s on the coaches and everyone to work this out at training and then execute on match day. Our boys are struggling at the minute but two losses against talented teams by less than a kick is hardly a time for us all to slit our wrists.

If we work through this, we’ll be better for it. If not, this year isn’t lost at all, it will be a huge stepping stone for a pre-season to get our guys working for months on our plan B.

I think we can beat the Eagles.

It all depends on how we can stop McGovern
Their big forwards have owned us for years , They have us covered all over the ground and i cant see how you could possibly say we will beat them :think:

My $64 million question is.....what’s happened to Membrey this year?
One of my favourites and he’s barely fired a shot this season. Change of game plan with having King and the smalls, maybe?
A bit of that and a bit of drop in confidence. When had his anus horribilis and couldn’t kick straight he went through something similar.

A bit of that and a bit of drop in confidence. When had his anus horribilis and couldn’t kick straight he went through something similar.

He was a horrible anus last night.

On the bright side though Jack Steele’s last 4 games:

13 CP
13 CP
17 CP
15 CP

Every chance that he’s building to be an elite level contested player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm thinking our lack of composure possibly in tight games comes from the fact we're almost always a young team under-fire from a much more experienced team. If I am reading it correctly, we were about 15 games, 10 months, and 3.5Kg lighter per player for this game.

In fact, from the 5 games decided by less than a goal, the only one where the difference in games played between the teams was under 50 games, is the one we won (Gold Coast - they had 48 games more experience running around) - the other 4 we were around 2-300 games short, and it largely sums up the difference.

I don't know too much about how we're training right now, but I'm betting it's nothing like a normal season, or normal training loads, so it's also not entirely a surprise that we're lacking some of the game-day plans we might have hoped to have.

Geelong are like the Berlin Philharmonic ... even if you separate them for a month, and they can only do individual preparation, they're going to sit down on concert night (game day) and know exactly what they have to do - they have the experience, and maturity that the conductor waves his baton, and the performance is top notch.

Port, Richmond, Brisbane and a few other clubs are like the major Australian Orchestras ... they're really good, and have most of the attributes of the top-notch orchestras of the world, without necessarily having all the experience and polish, but generally turn up and put out a high quality performance.

St Kilda and Gold Coast, I would look at as being like a good University orchestra ... they've got some experience there in the players who are closer to graduation, but also a lot of kids in first year who don't really know how to match it with the big boys yet. Really need a lot of rehearsal (training) and input from the conductor (coach) and section leads (assistants) to get a quality product. If you take away 50% of the training, the quality of the performance suffers, and as a long performance season drags on, some of those younger performers find it harder to be consistent, and get a bit burned out. Also, a few of the leaders develop issues or fall ill, and force shuffling which puts younger players into positions where they lack the adequate support to do their best.

Trouble is we just got beaten by Melbourne Football Club otherwise known as the Portsmouth Sinfonia

He was a horrible anus last night.
Made me laugh, seriously apart from set shots (last one was a ripper) he wasn’t as bad as others. Our whole forward set up was pretty shizenhausen. I don’t get how we had our much discussed forward smalls in and not one of them could find an effing crumb. It was kick to King, he drops it Melbourne casually exit unnoticed on repeat all the 2nd half ffs.

The great thing about the loss last night and Collingwood beating Blues means for us to make finals we must win 2 of our last 3 to make it.

Hopefully next year is our year, Cos there’s no way we’re winning 2 of 3

The great thing about the loss last night and Collingwood beating Blues means for us to make finals we must win 2 of our last 3 to make it.

Hopefully next year is our year, Cos there’s no way we’re winning 2 of 3
There is no way we beat Adelaide and Port Adelaide on a ground we have never won on in the space of 5 days coming from the Gold Coast.

There was no way we were losing to Melbourne and now there is no way that we're winning 2 of our last 3. Not sure why people feel the need to speak in absolutes.

Sure we will need to play better than we have over the last month, but we *should* have a relatively easy game next week to hopefully regain some form, and then who knows. We actually did a lot right last night, we broke even with their midfield, and generated more inside 50s and scoring shots and laid more tackles. The season is far from over, as dispiriting as last night's loss was.

Our wins this season were due to great team efforts- everyone doing their bit. Recently a few have dropped their intensity and left the hard work to others. Drop the slackers and send a message.

I feel like we need to be Ennio Morricone, use what we have in use it in ways that people have not seen before.

Yep Brad Crouch would have ensured the game was over way sooner with his constant turnovers 🥴

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Disagree.. the problem with our poor disposal is that we can’t get a lot of clean forward entries, most of them are under pressure so we just bomb it in.. even when our mids win the ball, it’s fumbled so the next kick is not clean.. A crouch will ensure we get a clean hand ball out to a runner e.g. Brad Hill, he can then kick to our forward’s advantage.. We seem to get a lot of the ball sometimes, but we never have control properly.. hitting targets is the only way to control the game.. unless you can do a Richmond, use handball and surge the ball forward.. With a Crouch, we’ll have Steele, Crouch, Jones as our main ball winners, still missing 1 or 2 I’ll say, hopefully Bytel and Bynes can stand up too.. the reason we are in this predicament is we don’t recruit pure mids who are good in tight space and can link the backline with forward line... our transition is a long bomb.. where other sides have a consistent way of working the ball forward.. anyway, onwards and upwards..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back