Autopsy Round 14, 2020: Melbourne v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

oal line technology. I am pissed off for a number of reasons

1) It shows how amateur the AFL still is. They have admitted as much
2) The outcome of the game may have changed. Personally I think it was a goal, however we don't definitely know.
3) Not many would agree or care about this, but it diminishes the win for Melbourne. I know it is an opposition team, but the bigger picture is that it leaves results in doubt and eats away at the games integrity because of AFL negligence and incompetence.

Really poor by the AFL.

Yep, listen to Cornes and Whateley discussing exactly this, this morning. Left us in no doubt about what they thought about the “professionalism” of the AFL.

Gerard Whateley and Kane Cornes on SEN scathing about the lack of goal line camera at the ground.

I usually crack it at the decisions, and the umpiring. But I didn't have a problem with it on the night.
The goal was fair enough, I don't care about the tech. The goal ump was right there. Unless we're going to have laser scanned footballs going over the line, it is what it is.
The general umpiring was decent too.

The only thing that sh!ts me this week: if we had played using just a little of the grey matter, we would've belted the Demons and finals pretty much locked in 🧠
The dumbest plays of the year over and over.

I usually crack it at the decisions, and the umpiring. But I didn't have a problem with it on the night.
The goal was fair enough, I don't care about the tech. The goal ump was right there. Unless we're going to have laser scanned footballs going over the line, it is what it is.

The only thing that sh!ts me this week: if we had played using just a little of the grey matter, we would've belted the Demons and finals pretty much locked in 🧠

Not blaming the umps at all ( for a change). I think they had very little bearing on the game. The goal ump, too, could have and probably was correct, he was right there.

It’s the principle of running a professional competition, professionally.
You just can’t have different technology at different grounds when playing for premiership points.

Last edited:

That's what i was like.
Against Geelong, i just felt a sinking season , they were just beating us, in most aspects of the game.
Against Melbourne i felt we were on top, but then Day got it, and again, and again....
If i go to Hell , that's what i'll be doing, watching Day mark the ball over and over.

Cleaned up the thread, please go here to continue the riveting discussion

The same reason you kick sh*t in a fit of rage. Doesn't do anything constructive but sometimes it's good to just let it out.

I don't mind admitting I blew my stack completely when the commentators revealed there was no goal line camera at the ground ... it's not so much whether it was a goal or not, but the fact we were denied the opportunity for review technology available at any other ground when it might have made a difference (not sure how many other goal-line reviews were used, or needed during the round as I didn't see all the games)

The past two weeks we've basically had cruel luck ... the ball could have bounced out of Membrey's reach against Brisbane ... the goal line cam might have shown a finger bending ... and for that matter, if the hit-the-post in '09 had been picked up, we maybe control the ball up the ground and bang another goal through ... we'll never know, but *censored* it's really frustrating :triumph:

I like him best as a tall forward but Ratts seems set on playing him on the wing.

He's got the natural ability and craft to be fine as a tall forward and he's a great shot on goal. He also compliments Membrey and King nicely as a different type of player so our key forwards wouldnt be too similar.

The way Membrey is kicking, it might make more sense to have a Skunk on the wing, and a Battle Tank in the forward 50 ...

It's the cake and eat it rhetoric that is grating something shocking, similar scenes in cricket as well with technology advancements but in that sport is was regional based: you play here or England, you get it, you play sub continent, you don't.

The AFL which is a regional comp ties it to grounds, as soon as something happens which makes that questionable, it then moves to do something about it, but stuff reviewing anything further, stuff doing literally anything else, it's always after the fact and screw everyone in the moment.

Take the replay situation as example.

There was already talk that it was going to be scrapped, that people were going to go with extra time, it was scuttlebutt, but it was already happening, then the GF is drawn and you have players standing there doing nothing, the crowd largely stunned, few thousand people live, however many thousand watching might as well have not bothered as no result.

In the immediate aftermath: "Yep, it's scrapped, we'll move to extra time after this, we've now got validation".

This is a commission that demands a billion for entertainment and they have zero forward thinking and very minimal capacity to give a s**t about what people actually want in a game, what their actual product is.

You get pushed into the players having reps with AFLPA, that was not your choice, it was pushed upon you, you have umpteen ways to show that you are proper custodians across the years, your officiating body is still separate after almost 160 years, because they haven't pushed anything, why should they, and you've no shits about a professional league as a whole, so why should you?

Then what, you have replays of oh the ball bounced off this and incorrect calls here, lets change after the fact, lets do things in retrospect but do absolutely nothing with the legacy of the game, zero, nada, but love the game people, love the history of it, love what it is whilst I stab it with swords and butcher it to all hell.

Those non professionals now get professional mandates, those fall back options now get things, well, 14 years after a ground was found lacking, but updates people, who cares about 14 years ago in 2006 with Tassie, they don't even have a team!

The Commission are custodians of nothing but the cash flow to pay people, they are an utter detriment to anything related to "football" as a game that people play and have been for decades. Nice to see people jumping on the bandwagon about their so called professionalism, previous incarnation of myself thanks you for giving half a s**t about it. #micdrop

I only watched bits of the game live and haven't had the guts to watch the replay yet but I have two points I came here to make.

1) Ed Phillips seems to be grasping his few opportunities. Considering he's one of the players closest to the out door, (ie: depth player contract up end of season), how do people see his future?

2) Considering we've never played in Alice before, I was happily surprised to see how many locals are saints fans. Lots of good vision for future promotional material. Is that genuine or were the marketing crew handing out saints tops to anyone who wanted one?
Fir those who watched the game more closely, was the support mostly for us? It seemed that way from the little I saw.

It’s the principle of running a professional competition, professionally.
You just can’t have different technology at different grounds when playing for premiership points.

Yeah I know what you're saying and agree. But I think this year with all the COVID crap I'm just happy to have the games played anywhere! I can let these things go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I know what you're saying and agree. But I think this year with all the COVID crap I'm just happy to have the games played anywhere! I can let these things go.

Even if it may have cost us the finals?
(Having said that, in this case the goal umpire was there, so have to take it at face value)

Or are you just happy to add it to the list of Sirengate, Whispers in the Sky, Hawkins’ “goal”, the GF replay that shouldn’t have been....
😳😉

Even if it may have cost us the finals?
(Having said that, in this case the goal umpire was there, so have to take it at face value)

Or are you just happy to add it to the list of Sirengate, Whispers in the Sky, Hawkins’ “goal”, the GF replay that shouldn’t have been....
😳😉

Don't get me started on those!!

If it were an arm wrestle and nothing splitting the teams, yeah it would piss me off... like that GF.

But we shot ourselves in the foot. It's our own fault we lost, not the umps... for once.

I only watched bits of the game live and haven't had the guts to watch the replay yet but I have two points I came here to make.

1) Ed Phillips seems to be grasping his few opportunities. Considering he's one of the players closest to the out door, (ie: depth player contract up end of season), how do people see his future?

2) Considering we've never played in Alice before, I was happily surprised to see how many locals are saints fans. Lots of good vision for future promotional material. Is that genuine or were the marketing crew handing out saints tops to anyone who wanted one?
Fir those who watched the game more closely, was the support mostly for us? It seemed that way from the little I saw.
Agree wholeheartedly with 2. Should push to make it a permanent fixture against the Dees as part of Indig round.

Last edited:

Ed Phillips is still only 22. I think he's a lot like his brother. Not a great player, but gets a game with Collingwood most weeks.
I think Ed will become a better player over the next couple of years.
I think i'd rate him above , for example Dean Polo, or Farren Ray. Both of which had pretty decent careers.

Phillips is between Polo and Ray. Polo has some good moments, but an unfulfilled career. Ray was a very good soldier for a very good St Kilda team - courageous, good above his head, could do a job and ended up playing 209 games.

I think Phillips can make it.

Right now he's between Polo and Ray in his prime.
Ray was a year older than Ed when we got him. Played various rolls including some tagging.
Ed isn't really that far behind him at the same age.

and on the topic of Farren.

The way Membrey is kicking, it might make more sense to have a Skunk on the wing, and a Battle Tank in the forward 50 ...
Only problem is when Members gets it up the ground he takes ages to assess his options before kicking it down the line to a pack basically every time. I would really like to see Battle play a ff or hf role and have King at chf so he can get into space. Have Members and resting ruck deep forward. 1 deep and 1 high small.

For 18-20-year-olds League-wide, he ranks first for contested marks and second for goals – one behind the goal leader.

take a guess who this is

Still smarting from that loss. But it's entirely in our own hands still, we're playing a bottom, top and mid table side.
If we can't get in from here, we probably don't deserve to.
I think its crucial that we do though, to give the players a finals campaign experience, the confidence that they can succeed and to present our club as one that's moving forward and a desired destination for players from other clubs..... Huge 3 weeks coming up.

Only problem is when Members gets it up the ground he takes ages to assess his options before kicking it down the line to a pack basically every time. I would really like to see Battle play a ff or hf role and have King at chf so he can get into space. Have Members and resting ruck deep forward. 1 deep and 1 high small.

Yes! That's why I always have Membrey deep forward in my teams, he's too slow moving it on! Jones can be a bit like that too. You want Jones on the ball, winning the ball, dishing it out. And you want Membrey starting deep forward and kicking goals.

You'd think as a forward that Membrey would know where a forward wants the ball... I can't see why he waits for the opposition to flood back before kicking it.

And I want to see Battle settle forward, or back, but enough of the roaming in between. He's too reliable down back, and too clever up forward. Yes King can move up the field a bit, and resting rucks forward. It's not to say this is permanent, but we NEED a change of attack... we needed it a month ago! Their plan has been too frigid this year.

Yes! That's why I always have Membrey deep forward in my teams, he's too slow moving it on! Jones can be a bit like that too. You want Jones on the ball, winning the ball, dishing it out. And you want Membrey starting deep forward and kicking goals.

You'd think as a forward that Membrey would know where a forward wants the ball... I can't see why he waits for the opposition to flood back before kicking it.

And I want to see Battle settle forward, or back, but enough of the roaming in between. He's too reliable down back, and too clever up forward. Yes King can move up the field a bit, and resting rucks forward. It's not to say this is permanent, but we NEED a change of attack... we needed it a month ago! Their plan has been too frigid this year.
Man, we are on the same pages. When Members gets the ball up the ground and starts looking in board, I'm always thinking to myself I know ur just going to kick it down the line. Its a pity, because he is very good at giving us an outlet. Is usually a very good set shot, but looks like he has a bit of the yips. Hopefully recovers soon. As for Jones, if he has a runner close by for the handball dish it off. On Battle, I just have a feeling that he will be a great forward if given some opportunity there regularly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back