Autopsy Round 14, 2020: Port Adelaide 11.7.73 def Sydney 7.5.47

Corpuscles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2006
Lunatic Park
AFL Club
Sydney
Gold Coast Suns had less going for them than we have and they managed to get Witts, Greenwood, Weller, Collins and Ellis in recent years. That's five recruits who are better than our best recruit in that time (Sinclair).

Brisbane the same. Cameron, McCarthy, Neale, Lyons, Robinson, Birchall. That's six recruits better than our best in that time.

Port Adelaide the same. Rockliff, Burton, McKenzie, Dixon, Lycett and Jonas. Another six better than ours in that time.

Fremantle, who had a polarising coach and a toxic culture, still managed to get Lobb, Colyer, Wilson, Conca and Hamling. That's five better than our best. (Which is not even including potentially-better ones like Hogan, McCarthy, Aish and Acres.)

All interstate clubs. All with question marks over their status as "destination clubs" at the time. All average teams when they signed most of those players. So I don't buy the we're an interstate club excuse, or the trade ban excuse, or the COLA excuse. We just haven't traded as well as others, simple as that.

There is a pattern there:

One of them is a AFL lovechild with considerable extra$
All of them finished lower on ladder for years
Swans - hardly ever missed top end challenge till 2018
They are not bound by (Not silly, for lotz of reasons) superstar wage backend ... imposing limits on CAP

AND it costs dollars

There is a pattern there:

One of them is a AFL lovechild with considerable extra$
All of them finished lower on ladder for years
Swans - hardly ever missed top end challenge till 2018
They are not bound by (Not silly, for lotz of reasons) superstar wage backend ... imposing limits on CAP

AND it costs dollars

Half of those I mentioned if not more were cheapies, delisted free agents etc., exact same types as Gray, Clarke, Thurlow etc were for us. They just didn't end up any good while the other clubs' did. That has nothing to do with the restraints that we had, or the advantages that the others had. We just went after the wrong players.

DobmusEdge

All Australian
Jun 21, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Sandra Sully ffs

There has been a lot of misinformation and confusion about the length of Florent’s contract, in part because it was announced the same day as Hayward’s whose contract is until 2024, in part because Zerohanger has it listed until 2024, in part because it was a two year contract extension but announced in 2019 having already been contracted for 2020...probably some other reasons too.

A few have got it wrong on here but The Mase as always is spot on - I just wanted to confirm in a low key way without insulting anyone

Yet here you are, forever the bully

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
There has been a lot of misinformation and confusion about the length of Florent’s contract, in part because it was announced the same day as Hayward’s whose contract is until 2024, in part because Zerohanger has it listed until 2024, in part because it was a two year contract extension but announced in 2019 having already been contracted for 2020...probably some other reasons too.

A few have got it wrong on here but The Mase as always is spot on - I just wanted to confirm in a low key way without insulting anyone

Yet here you are, forever the bully
Just don't tolerate fools ! you've been here 2 minutes ffs

Corpuscles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2006
Lunatic Park
AFL Club
Sydney
[
Half of those I mentioned if not more were cheapies, delisted free agents etc., exact same types as Gray, Clarke, Thurlow etc were for us. They just didn't end up any good while the other clubs' did. That has nothing to do with the restraints that we had, or the advantages that the others had. We just went after the wrong players.

Which ones would you have taken and how much do you reckon they cost?

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Your one of the apologists are you ?

With respect so what if he/she is?

It’s ridiculous that anyone should be targeted in that way as if somehow if someone isn’t they’re better.

Let people support how they want, have a spirited debate if necessary but then move on... no need for these type of comments (and you didn’t start it in this instance to be fair...).

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
With respect so what if he/she is?

It’s ridiculous that anyone should be targeted in that way as if somehow if someone isn’t they’re better.

Let people support how they want, have a spirited debate if necessary but then move on... no need for these type of comments (and you didn’t start it in this instance to be fair...).
THANK YOU , I KNOW I DIDN'T . OOPS CAPS LOCK AGAIN

[

Which ones would you have taken and how much do you reckon they cost?

I was a huge fan of Lyons and Collins, both of whom were delisted by their clubs before being picked up by Brisbane and Gold Coast respectively.

Jarryd Lyons to the Suns is one of the more under-rated great decisions of the last few years

And you know that only too well and good on you for having a tough hide. Why do you hate Freo

I don't mind them now since Peter Bell came in.

Just know quite a few people who were involved in that club players and staff who have told me horror stories going back well over a decade. I suppose they are to me what St Kilda are to you. Why do you hate the Saints?

Stats time

Swans are #1 in the league for turnovers this year
#2 for intercepts
#5 for free kicks, with a substantial positive FF/FA tally
#1 for tackles
#1 for rebound 50s

Bottom 4 for inside 50s, disposal efficiency, centre clearances, bounces

Paints a picture of a team working hard but completely lacking in talent and skills, and the defence is stopping scorelines from being much worse

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
I can think of 3 major errors the club have made in recent years. Not getting Witts. And delisting Robbo and Towers. Especially Towers.

I also think a half decent run with injury and we’d be competitive this year.

Franklin has cost us, but that was a commercial price worth paying. Our membership numbers skyrocketed and more importantly, GWS didn’t get him.

I can think of 3 major errors the club have made in recent years. Not getting Witts. And delisting Robbo and Towers. Especially Towers.

Franklin has cost us, but that was a commercial price worth paying. Our membership numbers skyrocketed and more importantly, GWS didn’t get him.

not disagreeing at all

but has anyone checked membership income pre buddy v post buddy

did he cover the salary ?

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans

I am not convinced on the Towers (and a Robbo) piece. Easy to look in hindsight at them but they got to play in teams with senior players that were a lot better (experienced) than what we are currently putting out. I am not sold that those guys would have been able to step up, in fact overall I think they would be more exposed.

They would also take the place of other younger, potentially mid term much better players, which may have slowed their development whilst as a team going nowhere playing guys that were never going to amount to anything (Towers 31 in 2021).

I think the right decision was made.

Olian

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2013
Between the Bridges
AFL Club
Sydney

Witts was average when he left Collingwood.

Towers is 30 this year, I’m not sure how he fits into a rebuild.

Robinson was dropped 4 times in his final year, he wasn’t going to make it. If it was such a bad call, 17 other clubs chose not to rectify it.

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
I remember when we all got excited about Ronke’s 7 goals against Hawthorn. And yes it was a night to remember, especially for him.

But Wicksy’s 9 tackles are far more important from a club perspective. There’s a kid, playing his 4th or 5th game, laying 9 tackles as a forward who we know, when he gets a look, will kick goals. Bell laid 4 tackles, took a contested mark and snagged a goal. If they’d been our 2 “rookies” and we’d won the game, we’d be celebrating those contributions. Now we’re measuring them, especially Bell, by 3rd year standards. So much for hard work paying off over time.

Back