Autopsy Round 14, 2020: Port Adelaide 11.7.73 def Sydney 7.5.47

Remove this Banner Ad

It shows that we don’t get the ball a lot. But at least we try and win it back. North just stand their.

something to hang the hat on, if you are going to be beaten to the ball at least fight on

i think its been a while since we had a shocker in terms of effort

I am not convinced on the Towers (and a Robbo) piece. Easy to look in hindsight at them but they got to play in teams with senior players that were a lot better (experienced) than what we are currently putting out. I am not sold that those guys would have been able to step up, in fact overall I think they would be more exposed.

They would also take the place of other younger, potentially mid term much better players, which may have slowed their development whilst as a team going nowhere playing guys that were never going to amount to anything (Towers 31 in 2021).

I think the right decision was made.
Towers could pinch hit in the ruck, play centre half forward, and play a flank or wing. We traded in Thurlow. I think Towers was better and more versatile.

Robbo is less certain. We traded in Clarke. Clarke gets more of it. Robbo was cleaner.

We knew when Witts was available that Nankervis wanted out. He was a local kid. We should have taken him for depth.

something to hang the hat on, if you are going to be beaten to the ball at least fight on

i think its been a while since we had a shocker in terms of effort
Last quarter against the Saints I thought we put up the white flag.

Other than that effort is their just poor execution. We disappear for a quarter in a game but we generally play out games.

I remember when we all got excited about Ronke’s 7 goals against Hawthorn. And yes it was a night to remember, especially for him.

But Wicksy’s 9 tackles are far more important from a club perspective. There’s a kid, playing his 4th or 5th game, laying 9 tackles as a forward who we know, when he gets a look, will kick goals. Bell laid 4 tackles, took a contested mark and snagged a goal. If they’d been our 2 “rookies” and we’d won the game, we’d be celebrating those contributions. Now we’re measuring them, especially Bell, by 3rd year standards. So much for hard work paying off over time.
Bell’s “tackles” were stats acquired by jumping on a stationary opposition player in a densely packed scrum.

Wicks, on the other hand, were chase-down tackles.

Saw a lot more in Wicks than I have in Bell.

But still think we’re favouring academy kids at the selection table.

I've never quite understood this argument on here. We're not the ones being paid six figures to make things happen, so it's not our job to know how or what we would've done differently.
It's usually an attempt to get a modicum of analysis or detail from people who just constantly bitch, or to highlight that there are s**t loads of different things.

Case in point: trading and list profile, yeah it's pretty poor and we haven't brought in any good targets in a few years, but you'd hope that people would understand that there's more to this than just incompetence. We don't have access to returning players, We haven't had access to the type of currency that bought in Neale or the volume of picks that GWS are able to cycle through, we had our salary cap adjusted overnight and had a multi year restriction on our ability to salary dump or bring in good quality players in the age range we needed.

It's usually an attempt to get a modicum of analysis or detail from people who just constantly b*tch, or to highlight that there are sh*t loads of different things.

Case in point: trading and list profile, yeah it's pretty poor and we haven't brought in any good targets in a few years, but you'd hope that people would understand that there's more to this than just incompetence. We don't have access to returning players, We haven't had access to the type of currency that bought in Neale or the volume of picks that GWS are able to cycle through, we had our salary cap adjusted overnight and had a multi year restriction on our ability to salary dump or bring in good quality players in the age range we needed.
The back end of the Franklin deal was always going to sting a bit.

The club knew it, fans with a modicum of insight knew it, the AFL knew it.

We had the sugar hit of Buddy, now the come-down.

Stats time

Swans are #1 in the league for turnovers this year
#2 for intercepts
#5 for free kicks, with a substantial positive FF/FA tally
#1 for tackles
#1 for rebound 50s

Bottom 4 for inside 50s, disposal efficiency, centre clearances, bounces

Paints a picture of a team working hard but completely lacking in talent and skills, and the defence is stopping scorelines from being much worse
Number one for biggest percentage of cap on the sidelines for next 3 years.

I remember when we all got excited about Ronke’s 7 goals against Hawthorn. And yes it was a night to remember, especially for him.

But Wicksy’s 9 tackles are far more important from a club perspective. There’s a kid, playing his 4th or 5th game, laying 9 tackles as a forward who we know, when he gets a look, will kick goals. Bell laid 4 tackles, took a contested mark and snagged a goal. If they’d been our 2 “rookies” and we’d won the game, we’d be celebrating those contributions. Now we’re measuring them, especially Bell, by 3rd year standards. So much for hard work paying off over time.
Ronke was kept in the side for his tackling & pressure. His goals were a bonus. Feel like Wicks has taken his spot in the team

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stats time

Swans are #1 in the league for turnovers this year
#2 for intercepts
#5 for free kicks, with a substantial positive FF/FA tally
#1 for tackles
#1 for rebound 50s

Bottom 4 for inside 50s, disposal efficiency, centre clearances, bounces

Paints a picture of a team working hard but completely lacking in talent and skills, and the defence is stopping scorelines from being much worse
I don't know how much of it is bad skill or a bad midfield.
I think #1 in rebound 50s goes hand in hand with #1 in turnovers. It's just really hard to move the ball from defensive 50 to attacking without turning it over.

Rampe’s local. Papley’s family. The Academy was in its infancy when Lloyd was drafted.

We can’t cry about the go home factor if we don’t promote our own.

They have to be good enough. No point picking them if they aren't ready. I'd rather pick the best players, if they are academy fine, if not that's fine. Back our system to retain and develop.

I am not convinced on the Towers (and a Robbo) piece. Easy to look in hindsight at them but they got to play in teams with senior players that were a lot better (experienced) than what we are currently putting out. I am not sold that those guys would have been able to step up, in fact overall I think they would be more exposed.

They would also take the place of other younger, potentially mid term much better players, which may have slowed their development whilst as a team going nowhere playing guys that were never going to amount to anything (Towers 31 in 2021).

I think the right decision was made.
We could have got Taberner before Towers , okay he's had injuries , but he's something we haven't got. I would try and get Kruezer and McCartin next year , would cost nothing

Towers could pinch hit in the ruck, play centre half forward, and play a flank or wing. We traded in Thurlow. I think Towers was better and more versatile.

Robbo is less certain. We traded in Clarke. Clarke gets more of it. Robbo was cleaner.

We knew when Witts was available that Nankervis wanted out. He was a local kid. We should have taken him for depth.
Nankervis would have stayed if played when he should have been

The Academy is a failure until there are multiple players on the main list of other clubs, not ours.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

We could have got Taberner before Towers , okay he's had injuries , but he's something we haven't got. I would try and get Kruezer and McCartin next year , would cost nothing
I suspect the medical profession is pleading with P McC to give it away.

Repeated concussions aren’t good. I find it hard to watch him play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back