Unofficial Preview Round 14 2020 vs Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Geez COR's "turnovers" are overstated around here. Some of our best decision-makers like Mills, Lloyd, Dawson and Cunningham can be shocking by foot. COR was nailing his shutdown roles. It's BS he was dropped.

Sure...but if you aren't getting the ball much, you can't butcher it when you do get it. All of the players you listed get the ball a lot! If you get it 20 times, you probably expect to turn it over 2-3 times...problem is COR is getting it 10 times and doing the same thing if not more. Low possession defenders are a thing of the past too.

Sure...but if you aren't getting the ball much, you can't butcher it when you do get it. All of the players you listed get the ball a lot! If you get it 20 times, you probably expect to turn it over 2-3 times...problem is COR is getting it 10 times and doing the same thing if not more. Low possession defenders are a thing of the past too.

He is no worse than anyone else! Exaggerated AF

He's a shutdown defender who has been doing his role FFS

The days of needing one are over. You need defenders yes, but they need to find the pill. Look at Brad Shepphard, who is a lockdown defender, he gets the ball. That's the type we need, not a lockdown that does nothing offensively and when he does get it, has abysmal errors in him. Sorry for being blunt but he needs to get the ball more.

He doesn’t work hard, that’s part of the problem.

Puts very little defensive pressure on. I was sitting behind the goals at the Freo game last week & was really frustrated at the lack of defensive intensity from both Bell and Foot.

I thought Bell had done ok at half forward in the preceding games. He was putting pressure on, getting to contests and nailing his tackles. I thought our small forwards doing their roles contributed to our better form in recent games. But against Fremantle they all seemed flat and did not provide much pressure.

When you think about what our game style is going to be next season. We are not going to be able to move the ball precisely from defence like West Coast. So we will need to be better at that forward pressure game. If not players like Bell/Foot/Wicks, then I am not sure which small forwards will do that role. We can't expect Papley to do everything.

I think Bell's tackling has usually been one of his strengths. It might be his rugby league background. He usually goes straight in for the hit and manages to lock the ball in. Often I see our forwards corral because they are worried about getting stepped. Also I like that he has been getting to contests. With a few slower inside mids, I think we need that defensive running from other players.

He has not shown a lot skillwise at AFL level. But the goal against GWS reminded me of goals he has kicked in reserves. He is capable of making a lung busting run from midfield into space to be open in the 50m arc for an easy goal. If he is playing as a high half forward he needs to do that more. Also as half forward flanker he will probably need to work hard to provide an outside option when we have the ball.

Last edited:
COR stiff to be out. Seems to be the player that is always an easy target by Horse to drop and is made a scapegoat of. In his last 2 games he done very well, made no mistakes. Would have liked to see an unchanged back 7 as they appeared to be gelling well. Aliir coming back in but in my opinion adds very little, more of a liability.

This season I think it is hard to read too much into the selections of fringe players. They tend to get rotated in and out. It is not like a stable best 22 and if someone gets dropped they lose their place and are in the reserves for a long time.

Looking at this weeks team. I would say there would be a best 15 of established first team players that keep their spot as long as they are fit and relatively in form.

(Lloyd, Fox, Cunningham, Dawson, Mills, Parker, Kennedy, Rowbottom, Florent, Blakey, Sinclair, Hayward, McCartin, Reid and Papley) Aliir would usually be part of that group instead of Fox. And people will make arguments about players like Blakey etc.

I see the other ~7 spots as up for grabs each week. Sometimes it will be to ensure that fringe players like Gray are still getting the occasional game throughout the season. Sometimes it will be to give younger players experience. Sometimes it will be to have a look at players who are out of contract. Sometimes a player like CoR will make way to give an opportunity to someone else to play a certain position.

Also I think CoR is contracted for next year. So him not playing games at the end of the season is not as big a deal. Similarly players like Gray/Taylor might play less games in favour of fringe players who are out of contract.

Last edited:
This season I think it is hard to read too much into the selections of fringe players. They tend to get rotated in and out. It is not like a stable best 22 and if someone gets dropped they lose their place and are in the reserves for a long time.

Looking at this weeks team. I would say there would be a best 15 of established first team players that keep their spot as long as they are fit and relatively in form.

(Lloyd, Fox, Cunningham, Dawson, Mills, Parker, Kennedy, Rowbottom, Florent, Blakey, Sinclair, Hayward, McCartin, Reid and Papley) Aliir would usually be part of that group instead of Fox. And people will make arguments about players like Blakey etc.

I see the other ~7 spots as up for grabs each week. Sometimes it will be to ensure that fringe players like Gray are still getting the occasional game throughout the season. Sometimes it will be to give younger players experience. Sometimes it will be to have a look at players who are out of contract. Sometimes a player like CoR will make way to give an opportunity to someone else to play a certain position.

Also I think CoR is contracted for next year. So him not playing games at the end of the season is not as big a deal. Similarly players like Gray/Taylor might play less games in favour of fringe players who are out of contract.
There’s a word for not picking the team that offers the best chance to win.

It rhymes with “ranking”.

There’s a word for not picking the team that offers the best chance to win.

It rhymes with “ranking”.

But I feel it has been like that all season. It is not strict best 22 for each match. Maybe best 18 with last few spots to rotate fringe players and give opportunities to young players. But our top players are still being selected each match. We have not been rotating Papley and Rowbottom.

And there has been opportunity for players like Fox to play well and be best 15 and keep his spot. Similarly Melican has been good last two matches. So might keep his spot on performance rather than be rotated out.

There are pros/cons of not selecting strict best 22. But I think we needed to do it. Sometimes you get fringe players like Thurlow get selected and surprise us. And it gives experience to young players. Even when we were successful I would have preferred to have gone best 20-21 and then have 1-2 spots on the bench to try out players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's fair enough but you have a short memory if you can't recall some of the consistent sh*t Hayward has dished up that warranted omission. Add him to the protected list and your point would have more merit to it. A player either warrants dropping or he doesn't.
Hayward shows bits and pieces , his first year was very good , but has gone backwards since . I feel the gameplan and a lack of consistency in playing a position might affect confidence. Got a great build , but is a let down . Him and Bell should have gone before Stephens.

That's fair enough but you have a short memory if you can't recall some of the consistent sh*t Hayward has dished up that warranted omission. Add him to the protected list and your point would have more merit to it. A player either warrants dropping or he doesn't.
yep... a player warrants dropping or he doesn't. fair statement.
but..
being dropped is not simply performance based, there are a lot of other factors that come into the decision, like, matchups, team balance etc. And as this year is a development year and a really strange / different year, there's a whole lot more to consider for the Swans selection panel.
- a truckload of injuries to key players to start the season
- theres no reserves matches so we need to see some players in real games
- theres likely a reduction in list sizes, so we need need to see who we delist / trade and who we keep
- change in game plan to suit the quicker recruits of the last three drafts
- team and individual morale considerations
etc etc etc ........

Im sure the decisions being made to keep Haywood, Bell etc are multi-faceted

yep... a player warrants dropping or he doesn't. fair statement.
but..
being dropped is not simply performance based, there are a lot of other factors that come into the decision, like, matchups, team balance etc. And as this year is a development year and a really strange / different year, there's a whole lot more to consider for the Swans selection panel.
- a truckload of injuries to key players to start the season
- theres no reserves matches so we need to see some players in real games
- theres likely a reduction in list sizes, so we need need to see who we delist / trade and who we keep
- change in game plan to suit the quicker recruits of the last three drafts
- team and individual morale considerations
etc etc etc ........

Im sure the decisions being made to keep Haywood, Bell etc are multi-faceted
Because horse is a stubborn F

I'm really not quite sure what this board wants. If we put in our strongest team each week then there would be salt because we are not giving the kids a go. But if we start rotating the kids through to see if they have a future, then the board accuses them off Rankine.
So, what is the answer here?

Ignore what the supporters have to say? Lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back