Preview Round 14 2021 - GWS Giants v Carlton, 7.25pm @ Giants Stadium, Sat 19 June

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Our last start against North Melbourne was all that we've come to hate about the Giants over the last three years - an insipid start, followed by an error-strewn game against a team that we should be much stronger than. Other than a fourth quarter spark that got us back to a pyrrhic draw, and a sensational game from Josh Kelly (with strong support from Nick Haynes and Matt Flynn), it was a disappointing afternoon that has all but ended any chance of playing finals. Toby Greene's return was great to see, but while he sparked the fourth quarter fightback, his poor goal-kicking didn't allow it to be fruitful. Adam Kennedy's return was more neutral in its effect, while Matt de Boer's was downright deficient, contributing clearly to the loss through multiple dropped marks when not under any pressure, and a slip that cost the goal that ultimately sank us.

The setup for this week is very similar. Another poorly performing team this year, the Blues, although not as bereft of wins as Norths. And potentially more returning Giants troops, in the form of Phil Davis and Harry Perryman. While I'd love to be confident of taking down Carlton, who have a very checkered run coming off the bye, the Giants have let us down too often this season to be confident of anything except frustration.

The forward line is still a work in progress, and while Toby creates plenty of opportunity, he just doesn't take enough (goals). Without Hogan who in two games has shown he could be a strong contributor post-Jezza, Finlayson has contributed meaningfully but Himmelberg and the other small forwards just haven't contributed enough goals. Jake Riccardi's 8 goals in VFL should see him get another opportunity in first grade, but I don't know that it will. Bobby Hill teases, and his speed can be an important ingredient for our success, but doesn't do enough, often enough.

The backline has been our saving grace for much of this year, but the loss of all of our KPD stocks over the last few weeks (i.e. Davis, Keeffe & Taylor) has left too much for the inexperienced talls - although they've been having a great year so far. Nick Haynes returned to form against Norths, and his intercepting kept us in the game. Surely Phil Davis comes back to re-set an experienced No 1 KPD, putting Jack Buckley back to a more manageable second KPD role. The remainder of the medium defenders have been solid enough, although it would be great if Lachie Ash rediscovered some of his early-season dash. He's been solid the last few weeks without being spectacular.

But it will yet again be the midfield where this game will be won or lost. Carlton have two outstanding midfielders in Sam Walsh and Paddy Cripps, but lack quality support around them. The GWS midfield boasting Kelly (coming off a superb game of 39 disposals and 2 goals), Taranto, Ward, Hopper, Green and Whitfield has enough talent to gain ascendency in the contest - but often their form wavers and they fail to win or break even. DO that against Carlton, and the Blues have enough talent to punish us. Mummy's talismanic qualities have run out the last two games, while Matt Flynn was really solid in clunking contested marks and kicking goals against Norths. I fear that he might be dropped to make way for Riccardi up front, when our longer term interest would be better served by playing the kids (Riccardi, Flynn, Briggs ... and others) instead of our oldest stagers.

An effort like that against Norths must have consequences if the coaches and selectors are being serious - a number of players should be in the selectors' gunsights, including: Mummy, de Boer, Hill, Himmelberg, Kennedy & Stein. I'm not suggesting that they'll all make way, but some of them should.

We need to give Riccardi a solid run up front, and he should come in on the back of his VFL form - but I'd suggest there's no guarantee he will. Davis should be a certainty to provide some spine to the tall defence. Perryman could come in as a replacement in any number of spots - including Hill's forward spot, de Boer's midfield spot, or Kennedy's spot in defence. Or he could run through the VFL game to ensure that he's 100% ready for the stress of a full AFL game. Other than that, Tanner Bruhn is probably the only other VFL player who would be a good option, able to play both forward and midfield for us. Briggs played well in VFL, but I'd be highly surprised to see him back in first grade (outside of any injury), although he certainly deserves another chance. James Peatling, the mid-season selection, had a solid game too, but would be unlikely to come into consideration at this point I would think.

As a reminder this is the GWS Indigenous Round

The GIANTS will again don the Indigenous jumper designed by young forward and Whadjuk-Ballardong Noongar man Bobby Hill. The design, titled Bobby’s GIANT Journey, tells the story of Hill from his upbringing in Northam, WA to moving to Sydney in 2018 to represent the GIANTS. The story is one of growth and the importance of community on both sides of the continent.

Our last start against North Melbourne was all that we've come to hate about the Giants over the last three years - an insipid start, followed by an error-strewn game against a team that we should be much stronger than. Other than a fourth quarter spark that got us back to a pyrrhic draw, and a sensational game from Josh Kelly (with strong support from Nick Haynes and Matt Flynn), it was a disappointing afternoon that has all but ended any chance of playing finals. Toby Greene's return was great to see, but while he sparked the fourth quarter fightback, his poor goal-kicking didn't allow it to be fruitful. Adam Kennedy's return was more neutral in its effect, while Matt de Boer's was downright deficient, contributing clearly to the loss through multiple dropped marks when not under any pressure, and a slip that cost the goal that ultimately sank us.

The setup for this week is very similar. Another poorly performing team this year, the Blues, although not as bereft of wins as Norths. And potentially more returning Giants troops, in the form of Phil Davis and Harry Perryman. While I'd love to be confident of taking down Carlton, who have a very checkered run coming off the bye, the Giants have let us down too often this season to be confident of anything except frustration.

The forward line is still a work in progress, and while Toby creates plenty of opportunity, he just doesn't take enough (goals). Without Hogan who in two games has shown he could be a strong contributor post-Jezza, Finlayson has contributed meaningfully but Himmelberg and the other small forwards just haven't contributed enough goals. Jake Riccardi's 8 goals in VFL should see him get another opportunity in first grade, but I don't know that it will. Bobby Hill teases, and his speed can be an important ingredient for our success, but doesn't do enough, often enough.

The backline has been our saving grace for much of this year, but the loss of all of our KPD stocks over the last few weeks (i.e. Davis, Keeffe & Taylor) has left too much for the inexperienced talls - although they've been having a great year so far. Nick Haynes returned to form against Norths, and his intercepting kept us in the game. Surely Phil Davis comes back to re-set an experienced No 1 KPD, putting Jack Buckley back to a more manageable second KPD role. The remainder of the medium defenders have been solid enough, although it would be great if Lachie Ash rediscovered some of his early-season dash. He's been solid the last few weeks without being spectacular.

But it will yet again be the midfield where this game will be won or lost. Carlton have two outstanding midfielders in Sam Walsh and Paddy Cripps, but lack quality support around them. The GWS midfield boasting Kelly (coming off a superb game of 39 disposals and 2 goals), Taranto, Ward, Hopper, Green and Whitfield has enough talent to gain ascendency in the contest - but often their form wavers and they fail to win or break even. DO that against Carlton, and the Blues have enough talent to punish us. Mummy's talismanic qualities have run out the last two games, while Matt Flynn was really solid in clunking contested marks and kicking goals against Norths. I fear that he might be dropped to make way for Riccardi up front, when our longer term interest would be better served by playing the kids (Riccardi, Flynn, Briggs ... and others) instead of our oldest stagers.

An effort like that against Norths must have consequences if the coaches and selectors are being serious - a number of players should be in the selectors' gunsights, including: Mummy, de Boer, Hill, Himmelberg, Kennedy & Stein. I'm not suggesting that they'll all make way, but some of them should.

We need to give Riccardi a solid run up front, and he should come in on the back of his VFL form - but I'd suggest there's no guarantee he will. Davis should be a certainty to provide some spine to the tall defence. Perryman could come in as a replacement in any number of spots - including Hill's forward spot, de Boer's midfield spot, or Kennedy's spot in defence. Or he could run through the VFL game to ensure that he's 100% ready for the stress of a full AFL game. Other than that, Tanner Bruhn is probably the only other VFL player who would be a good option, able to play both forward and midfield for us. Briggs played well in VFL, but I'd be highly surprised to see him back in first grade (outside of any injury), although he certainly deserves another chance. James Peatling, the mid-season selection, had a solid game too, but would be unlikely to come into consideration at this point I would think.

As a reminder this is the GWS Indigenous Round

The GIANTS will again don the Indigenous jumper designed by young forward and Whadjuk-Ballardong Noongar man Bobby Hill. The design, titled Bobby’s GIANT Journey, tells the story of Hill from his upbringing in Northam, WA to moving to Sydney in 2018 to represent the GIANTS. The story is one of growth and the importance of community on both sides of the continent.
Hopefully we are better for the run after the bye.Carlton might be buoyed by McKay resigning, and even though they are 4 and 8, not totally out of finals contention, albeit no chance if they don't win this game. As long as we put a good effort in we should win though, hoping we do that.
Players aren't stupid, they know we are still very much in control of our season, can still finish as high as 6th and get a home final or play away at scg if we finish 7th or 8th.
Maybe some players were just assuming some inclusions last week would guarantee a win , that complacency ( if that was the issue) should be eliminated for this week.

It’s really hard to cop last week. It feels like a loss. We rely on contested ball and when we don’t win that midfield battle we look ordinary. Some experience coming back will be important for us. I hope Flynn stays in, he deserves to keep his spot. That said, I’m hoping to see:
In: riccardi, perryman Davis
Out: Stein, MDB and mummy

Great news that Briggs, Davis and Flynn are in.

Why the hell is Riccardi missing out and Ash dropped?
Well I suppose the riccardi one is we would be too tall…. So it was either Briggs or him I assume. Tbh as a contested ball and clearance team I’m content to have the extra ruck

Can only imagine Ash is managed .... he’s had a good run and despite the bye he might be showing fatigue .... he’s certainly lost some zip
If that’s the case they would name him as manager rather than omitted

on footy phil the other week they were talking About B&F leaders and Reid was in the conversation. Typically a B&F gives insight into what a team values internally. From this I’m inferring team first defense is a high priority and that’s why ash has been omitted

long bow I know but meh

Ash isn’t managed. He has been named as emergency. If he was managed he would have had the week off.

I hope the ruck split is Briggs as more a ruck and Flynn forward.

Add Taylor, cogs,Daniels Hogan and that is a very competitive side

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ash certainly not up to his early season form, but dropped? Cmon. It’s a terrible look. He should be playing.
It's a straight swap Ash for Perryman. I like Ash, but competition for spots is hooting up. Kennedy/ Ash/ Perryman/ Cumming for two half back flank spots.

Our last start ......., importance of community on both sides of the continent.
Excellent all round summary. Thanks for the clarity of thought.
To comment on some of your observations
De Boer is not good enough. Maybe he'll tag Cripps or Walsh this week, but first game back last week he would have been monstered by Cunnington. Personally, I don't think there's a spot for him.
It's crunch time for HH. Riccardi is breathing down his neck, let alone Jesse Hogan. He's an honest, earner tryer, but lacks that selfishness/ ruthlessness that the KPF01 needs. Popular with the supporter base, it may not be enough tho.
Bobby Hill vs Brett Daniels. One of these two please step up to 2 goals per game.
Ash dropped, Perryman in, Reid still there. Hope Ash is back soon, he's the future, play the kids.
Mid-year review of last years draft;
All appear to be drafted on potential, but none have made an impact.
Angwin plainly needs another 2 pre-seasons.
Stone may lack pace.
Bruhn; how long will he stay without game time (which like Caldwell, was not deserved game time)
Wehr; ?
Fleeton; ?
Pruess; ?
Will Shaw; wild card pick, no expectations on him, like Angwin, under-bulked.

Excellent all round summary. Thanks for the clarity of thought.
To comment on some of your observations
De Boer is not good enough. Maybe he'll tag Cripps or Walsh this week, but first game back last week he would have been monstered by Cunnington. Personally, I don't think there's a spot for him.
It's crunch time for HH. Riccardi is breathing down his neck, let alone Jesse Hogan. He's an honest, earner tryer, but lacks that selfishness/ ruthlessness that the KPF01 needs. Popular with the supporter base, it may not be enough tho.
Bobby Hill vs Brett Daniels. One of these two please step up to 2 goals per game.
Ash dropped, Perryman in, Reid still there. Hope Ash is back soon, he's the future, play the kids.
Mid-year review of last years draft;
All appear to be drafted on potential, but none have made an impact.
Angwin plainly needs another 2 pre-seasons.
Stone may lack pace.
Bruhn; how long will he stay without game time (which like Caldwell, was not deserved game time)
Wehr; ?
Fleeton; ?
Pruess; ?
Will Shaw; wild card pick, no expectations on him, like Angwin, under-bulked.
Disagree with the play the kids mentality. We are still in a position to play finals so we should be playing to win. That’s why players in their 30’s are getting selected… if we drop more games and finals aren’t a thing then I would support the assertion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back