Review Round 14 2021 - GWS Giants v Carlton, 7.25pm @ Giants Stadium, Sat 19 June

according to a poster on the main board game day thread, Razor Ray was caught on mic calling Toby a Dick

only a single poster though, can’t confirm will try to listen for it when I watch the replay.
There's some umps it wouldn't surprise me, but I would be beyond shocked if Ray was one of them. He's pretty hardcore at keeping up the standard of umpiring. Could easily be something like "you move back, Toby" to get him to stand the mark in the right spot that's misheard.

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
There's some umps it wouldn't surprise me, but I would be beyond shocked if Ray was one of them. He's pretty hardcore at keeping up the standard of umpiring. Could easily be something like "you move back, Toby" to get him to stand the mark in the right spot that's misheard.

the poster did say the comment came after the ball was moved on so probably not ‘move back’ to get him on the mark - but yeah, don’t disagree with you about Ray and if was that obvious and egregious there would have been more comments, or more on twitter at the time (I couldn’t find any).

tone and context are also important. Toby might have said something stupid/funny while on the mark and ray might have said laughingly “you’re such a dick” the way I would to a friend who’d just told a particularly dadly dad joke. and if it’s that kind of banter, i have no issue with it.

when I find the time I’ll find the incident and judge for myself (and let you know)

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Great to get the 4 points and the nerves come in during the 3rd when they got a run on and it does show the benefit of that super tall defender like Keefe as he would have been able to lockdown on Mckay, not saying it would not have been the same result but he would have been the ideal match up and he should have had another 2 goals with the poor bounce and then a set shot missed from very gettable range

Plenty of players with up games and hoping they continue and the mids seemed to be on top but they actually lost the contested ball by 2 but the difference was hitting targets in dangerous positions and that ability to control the tempo with the kick mark game style we saw a lot of and the lack of pressure from the Blues

Looking forward to the Hawks game and hopefully they dont take the opposition lightly like the Roos and they can avenge the 2019 losses with a % boosting win

And I will say that game is why the club was ok to let Williams go and why he is not worth the money he is on, 11 disposals and 1 tackle when this should be the game he would step up for v the team that let him go. I put some of the blame at his manager and the media making him believe he is worth the kind of money and expectation that goes with that

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
and he should have had another 2 goals with the poor bounce and then a set shot missed from very gettable range

The OOB on the full was karma for him being allowed to kick a goal after he clearly (and quite forcibly) shoved Jack in the back in the 3rd.

one of the most disgraceful non-decisions this year - right up with the Toby broken shoulder one

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS

On one side you have Harry McKay, fresh off signing a two year extension and second in the Coleman medal. On the other end was Jeremy Finlayson, one of the most talented but scrutinised key forwards in the game. Opposed to Liam Jones frequently, Finlayson showed off his trademark goal scoring nous, with a 40m boundary snap on the left, a 20m opposite foot dribble kick from the pocket, plus a few straight on shots for good measure.

The most impressive thing was his work rate, often working up outside forward 50. Jones or Weitering rarely followed him out, often delegating to a flanker. Finlayson booted five goals straight from 13 disposals, ten marks (two contested). He benefited from GWS using a resting ruckman up forward as well as Harry Himmelberg making sure Weitering was accountable in the air.

Harry McKay, on the other hand, looked like he was in for a rough night early on. Failing to register a disposal in the first quarter, and then once he found his way into the action he mistimed a bounce while running into an open 50 after marking over his opponent, Jack Buckley.

The battle of former Giant Matthew Kennedy and current Giant Jacob Hopper was extremely entertaining. The bullocking clearance work from Hopper was absolutely exceptional in this contest. Registering a game-high 11 clearances (six from the centre), Hopper was a man possessed on the inside. His 27 disposals were also at a great 82% efficiency, which normally resides in the high 60-low 70% range, however that can be attributed to a lacklustre effort from a large collection of Carlton midfielders – which I’ll touch on later.

Kieran Briggs and Matt Flynn look like they could be the next tandem of game wrecking ruckmen that can also dominate forward. If anybody ever mentions “Mumford and Sons” it will not be the band that comes to mind, rather the three behemoth rucks the Giants possess.

All year the debate has raged on; which Carlton midfielder is better. Well, there was absolutely no clarity to that question in this contest. Matt De Boer went straight to Walsh and you could almost see the soul of the young Carlton gun depart his body immediately. The Giants’ stopper played him perfectly, keeping body contact on him constantly. Walsh ended the game with 20 disposals with 70% efficiency, however, it was a Cripps-esque statistic line of only six kicks and 14 handballs.

Walsh, to his credit, always kept at it, for the game he covered 15.7km, which led all Carlton players by at least a kilometre. De Boer had 16 touches with 12 tackles in the game. This was a reflective statistic of the pressure he applied (also which Carlton did not) was that midway through the second quarter De Boer registered his tenth tackle. At that point, the entire Carlton team had laid 20 tackles. To be fair to Walsh, he has absolutely no assistance from his fellow midfielders to break the tag.

Sam Docherty would have slept really well last night, however, that would have been due to Lachie Whitfield running him absolutely ragged. Whitfield put on an absolute clinic with his gut running, twice running from half back to get forward and deliver the ball inside 50. For his part, Docherty did get back and help defensively, however, he had a rough time holding onto the ball, fumbling a handful of times at crucial moments. Whitfield gained 629 metres with his 24 touches, adding 11 marks as well.

I was very impressed with the way Connor Idun took up the challenge of playing on Eddie Betts. He will learn a lot playing alongside Phil Davis and Nick Haynes. Isaac Cumming had a great game off half back for GWS, filling in for Lachie Ash, he rebounded at will. Collecting 23 touches at an incredible 96% efficiency, 12 marks and kicked his first AFL goal to boot. The fact there was no defensive attention paid to him was almost damming, yet unsurprising, considering the form of Carlton.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Just had a look at the footywire stats for Connor Idun. Not getting many accolades from outside the club (a few small mentions), but he's leading the ''rising stars'' category in total marks & 1%ers, 3rd in total intercepts & total rebound 50%, and 4th in effective disposals per game (at 85% - & the leaders have played 3, 4 & 5 games respectively). While stats don't tell the whole story, they do back up what the eyes see, which is a pretty solid first full year.

Also, Isaac Cumming for his first full season is looking good with his stats (to back up what I see on the field) - if you compare to say Caleb Daniels, who is a seasoned performer and well regarded this year for his game, Isaac's stats are pretty comparable. They are also pretty comparable to Lachie Ash's stats, which is why his axing for this game is puzzling to see. Hopefully it was just to give him a freshen up, maybe use the game to point out a few game plan things, and slot him back in next week.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS

Isaac Cumming
Isaac has shown flashes over his first few seasons but has now solidified himself in the Giants defence and has quietly put together an impressive season. He ended with 23 touches, 12 marks, 543 metres gained, 5 score involvements, and 95.7% efficiency. With his best match for GWS, Isaac is no longer coming, he has arrived.

Lachie Whitfield
Having missed games to injury earlier this season, Whitfield is beginning to show why he is one of the league’s best wingmen. Being one of the best for the Giants, Whitfield was crucial in the Giant’s domination over the Blues. He ended with 26 touches, 10 marks, 8 score involvements, 7 inside 50s, 4 tackles and 629 metres gained. With his ability to be the link between defense and offense, it is no wonder why the Giants look like a different team with Whitfield on the ground.

Jeremy Finlayson
With a dominant performance against two excellent defenders (Liam Jones and Jacob Weitering), it is crazy to think that it wasn’t too long ago that Finlayson was matching up against the opposition’s best forwards. He has now become the Giant’s number one tall forward. Kicking 5 majors, he coupled that with 10 marks, 13 touches, 8 score involvements, and 92.3% efficiency being the best forward on the ground against the Blues.

Toby Greene
In a typical Toby Greene performance, he not only dominated on the field but off the field too. While he starred against the Blues, his striking of Nic Newman seemed to garner most of the attention. His efforts didn’t get unnoticed for the team of the week, however, kicking 4 majors. He also had 20 disposals, 11 score involvements, 8 marks, and 4 inside 50s with Carlton having no one to stop Greene.

Orange crush

Premiership Player
Aug 12, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Lazy journalism ... Toby caressed nic newman .... ahh, I see they’ve corrected it ..., when I saw it earlier it read Sam Walsh

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies

just found the incident in question. There was 9.40ish left on the clock in the 4th. Ray very definitely maybe says “you’re a [something] Toby” but I don’t think it was “d*ck” - I replayed it a number of times at full volume and still couldn’t work out exactly what was said, but as I said, I’m pretty sure it wasn’t offensive. As best as I can figure, it may even have been “yeah, thanks Toby”
with the yeah, sounding like you’re

One of the Carlton players then said “I’d like another one Razor”

nothing in it.

just found the incident in question. There was 9.40ish left on the clock in the 4th. Ray very definitely maybe says “you’re a [something] Toby” but I don’t think it was “d*ck” - I replayed it a number of times at full volume and still couldn’t work out exactly what was said, but as I said, I’m pretty sure it wasn’t offensive. As best as I can figure, it may even have been “yeah, thanks Toby”
with the yeah, sounding like you’re

One of the Carlton players then said “I’d like another one Razor”

nothing in it.

"You're a wizard, Toby."

Back